Rent A Car

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Anyone know a good place to rent a car in Santiago? Unfortunately the plans we had have fallen through and we're in a bit of a pinch.

Need the car from Friday until Monday.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Anyone know a good place to rent a car in Santiago? Unfortunately the plans we had have fallen through and we're in a bit of a pinch.

Need the car from Friday until Monday.

Use a site such as kayak and price shop. determine what size you need. i normally get a hyndaui accent or a kia rio. There are smaller cars then that. Call your credit card company to see what insurance they cover and if they cover you in the Dominican republic. The rental companies alway try to sell you extra insurance.

If you are just staying around the city you don't need a SUV. if you are going certain place a SUV is nice.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Use a site such as kayak and price shop. determine what size you need. i normally get a hyndaui accent or a kia rio. There are smaller cars then that. Call your credit card company to see what insurance they cover and if they cover you in the Dominican republic. The rental companies alway try to sell you extra insurance.

If you are just staying around the city you don't need a SUV. if you are going certain place a SUV is nice.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was my first bet but seeing as my drivers license has expired that isn't an option. Have to go with local companies.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
On the entrance road to the airport there are a dozen of them on both sieds of the road. NO personal experience with any of them though.
Der Fish

I rented a decent newish Corolla from Twister rent-car from here a few years ago. I believe they charged me approx. $RD1,500 daily. No complaints whatsoever, good, professional service, the car was in excellent condition.

Twister Renta Car

Can recommend IF they haven?t changed from that, haven?t used them since then, due to location.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I rented a car from avis for my present trip to santo domingo ....I bought the car insurance from Travelocity when I booked the car....last time avis told me they didn't accept the credit card insurance and I HAD to buy insurance from them...this time they told me that they would NOT accept the insurance I had bought from Travelocity as it did not cover LARGE cars....I had rented an suv
I had again to buy their insurance which added $330 approx. to my ten day rental
for future reference does anybody know off hand if other rental companys are as big a scam artist as avis appears

On the entrance road to the airport there are a dozen of them on both sieds of the road. NO personal experience with any of them though.
Der Fish

I rented from Ruta 66 car rental, a decent Montero Sport for US$ 500 for ten days, including insurance
They pick you up at the airport, PM me for the phone #
I do think all of them require a valid drivers licence though

Wile