Santo Domingo, Piantini/Serrales/Naco VS Cacicazgos/Urb. Real/Bella Vista/Mirador Sur

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Hi guys!

The question is what area to choose to buy a 3 bedroom apartment or small (under 350 m2) penthouse in a modern tower,

Naco/Serrales/Piantini/Paraiso/Part of Evaristo Morales close to Churchill

or

Cacicazgos/Urb. Real/Mirador Sur/Bella Vista Sur ??

Pros and cons? Any opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
It comes down to cacicazgo or Piantini in my opinion..in this country and especially this country...its all about location location location

Select piantini if apartment is for investment purposes...or if if you want to live central to everything.

Cacicazgo on the other hand has more green open areas...much less traffic...and I would consider it if you have family

Evaristo morales....or bella vista is attractive financially..you get more space for your buck...prices here are easily 25-40% lower than the top 2....and yet they are only a stone throw away from everythng.

2 years ago I bought 2 apartments (2 bedrooms) in evaristo morales.....I made a long time calculation that in 5-10 years that value will rise..picking up 900 u.s. on rent every month on each is not bad thing either.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
The point is that I used to live in different locations between Ortega y Gasset, Churchill, 27 and Kennedy for some years. And when I go to Cacicazgos or Mirador Sur, I feel that I am in a different city.... but there are many nice areas, nice buildings, sometimes better prices per square meter (especially for penthouses), and I see that many rich people buy expensive apartments there, so they all can't be idiots, right?

I have an apartment here, just want to buy a bigger one, to live, not for investment. I don't believe in investments here, actually, you always lose money if you sell something here.

I just want to hear some other people's opinion about why it's worth it to buy in Bella Vista/ Mirador Sur/ Cacicasgos/Urb. real/Av. Enriquillo instead of Naco/Piantini.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I personally see no point in buying in DR, too many people I know are stuck as they can not get rid of their home. And in the city, everywhere is open to unexpected and extensive change, you never know what is coming to town, or worse, your doorstep. You just got to look at the likes of Naco to see thats a terrible place to live, nice places but horrible and awkward environment, not at all relaxing.
If I was wired to buy I would buy beside the park, there are some nice places on Anacaona, and the park and relative peace can help you feel as though you are elsewhere and not in the filth, which is after all at the forefront of every city dwellers mind.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Los Cacicazgos is cleaner, quieter, and less traffic. I'd choose Los Cacicazgos anytime over Piantini / Naco.

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
how safe is Cacicazgos compare to naco and piantini just wondering .

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I agree, although it is in my opinion the best place to live in the city, it is not somewhere that you want to be walking at night. But why would anyone be walking there at night anyway and so.............................................

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I personally see no point in buying in DR, too many people I know are stuck as they can not get rid of their home.
I know, I know, I know...

--------------------------------

Ok, what about Urb. Real? It's between Av. Enriquillo and Av. Romulo Betancourt. It's quiet, a lot of nice buildings, but the same time there are many apartments for sale with big discounts, why?

What about Bella Vista? Many nice towers and some quiet streets near Av. Sarasota and near Bella Vista Mall and Body Shop.

When I think about those areas, I think that it's too far from Acropolis, Blue Mall, Ikea... but why do I have to go to Blue Mall or Ikea more than once a month? On the other hand, it's less guaguas and carros publicos in those areas.

Last edited:

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I agree, although it is in my opinion the best place to live in the city, it is not somewhere that you want to be walking at night. But why would anyone be walking there at night anyway and so.............................................
Are there any safe places to walk at night? I don't think so. Maybe Zona Colonial near El Conde, but I don't want to live there anyway.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I know, I know, I know...

--------------------------------

Ok, what about Urb. Real? It's between Av. Enriquillo and Av. Romulo Betancourt. It's quiet, a lot of nice buildings, but the same time there are many apartments for sale with big discounts, why?

What about Bella Vista? Many nice towers and some quiet streets near Av. Sarasota and near Bella Vista Mall and Body Shop.

When I think about those areas, I think that it's too far from Acropolis, Blue Mall, Ikea... but why do I have to go to Blue Mall or Ikea more than once a month? On the other hand, it's less guaguas and carros publicos in those areas.

Urb. Real is nice too, but there are several narrow streets with high rise buildings, I don't get why they do that (well, I get it, but I think it makes it look ghetto style.

Av. Enriquillo for me is one of the best avenues to live on in SD. I lived there for 1.5 year (and left because I wanted a house and I can't afford a house in Los Cacicazgos), but the neighborhood is great.

My brother and sister in law live in Urb. Real. (well, they are moving next month to Piantini). I haven't heard anything bad from them about the neighborhood, except for breaking your parked car open and steal valuables left in the car.

If you don't mind living in an old building, consider Jardines del Embajador. That's the big garden / park behind hotel Embajador with several bigger and smaller apartment buildings. Horrible buildings, Balaguer style (big apartments though) but you live in a beautiful park.

I wouldn't focus too much on how many for sale signs you see. Many home owners have their house for sale for ridiculous prices, not because they want to sell, but they will sell if someone is willing to pay twice the value of the apartment.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I wouldn't focus too much on how many for sale signs you see. Many home owners have their house for sale for ridiculous prices, not because they want to sell, but they will sell if someone is willing to pay twice the value of the apartment.
Sometimes many 'for sale' signs mean many problems in the building or in the area.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Are there any safe places to walk at night? I don't think so. Maybe Zona Colonial near El Conde, but I don't want to live there anyway.

Yes, there are plenty of safe places to walk at night if you are an average person that fits into the surroundings. If you don't fit in then you are automatically a target. The idea to reduce becoming a target it to live around people of similar wealth and lifestyle. If you came to live in my barrio in Ensanche Luperon you would probably stand out, I can tell this because you are considering buying where you are, and that takes reasonable wealth. If you were to come to my Campo home I know you would stand out a mile as the average rent on a decent house there is less than RD4,500 per month, even I stand out in campo. But everyone thinks I'm nuts (walking around muttering to yourself and screaming at trees occasionally keeps you safe) and so gives me a wide birth.
There is great opportunity these days in far less stressful areas on the East side, much cheaper and far quieter with as much if not more at your fingertips than trying to buzz around the centre of the capital.
I think of all the areas that has anything going for it within access distance is the new Juan Dolio. 5 years time that will be good, and prices may well have grown considerably to what they are now, but it's always a gamble anywhere. With limited rights and never knowing quite what is going to be plonked at your doorstep it's a gamble I coudn't take unless I could lose the money and smile about it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It's difficult to read Doms like this. Doms will buy a car and instantly install a for sale sign in the back, and hope someone will stop them a buy it for a silly price. I personally consider that a good move if you come across the right idiot, of which there are many. They do the same with property, just keep a sign up in the hope one day someone will bring them profit, no need to sell, but nothing ventured.................. no harm.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
It comes down to cacicazgo or Piantini in my opinion..in this country and especially this country...its all about location location location

Select piantini if apartment is for investment purposes...or if if you want to live central to everything.

Cacicazgo on the other hand has more green open areas...much less traffic...and I would consider it if you have family

Evaristo morales....or bella vista is attractive financially..you get more space for your buck...prices here are easily 25-40% lower than the top 2....and yet they are only a stone throw away from everythng.

2 years ago I bought 2 apartments (2 bedrooms) in evaristo morales.....I made a long time calculation that in 5-10 years that value will rise..picking up 900 u.s. on rent every month on each is not bad thing either.

Correct me if I'm wrong I think the president medina lives In the cacicazgo area I think his apartment is there..could be some extra security patrolling there..just saying

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
if it is not for investment then it's about what you like personally

I think you should visit the areas at different times of day and decide which you like. If you aren't worried about selling, making a profit, or avoiding a loss, it boils down to where you think you will be happiest. I don't think you should rely on how we might influence you.

I agree with you that, more often than not, Dominican Republic investing is a zero sum game compared to other countries. The investment risk profile is generally unfavorable. Factor in the corruption and cronyism and it is hard to see the potential for a fair return unless you get really lucky.

The point is that I used to live in different locations between Ortega y Gasset, Churchill, 27 and Kennedy for some years. And when I go to Cacicazgos or Mirador Sur, I feel that I am in a different city.... but there are many nice areas, nice buildings, sometimes better prices per square meter (especially for penthouses), and I see that many rich people buy expensive apartments there, so they all can't be idiots, right?

I have an apartment here, just want to buy a bigger one, to live, not for investment. I don't believe in investments here, actually, you always lose money if you sell something here.

I just want to hear some other people's opinion about why it's worth it to buy in Bella Vista/ Mirador Sur/ Cacicasgos/Urb. real/Av. Enriquillo instead of Naco/Piantini.