how does D.R. compare to rest of Latin america

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Reading on this Forbes article on how D.R. is at the bottom..I was wondering ,I know the corruption is horrible top notch in D.R...but as far as as poverty,atrazado as we say,electric problem,water problem no respect for driving laws etc..how does it compare to say central america,Cuba or peurto Rico even though they say their not poor..I know Brazil and mexico are considered g8 or g20 countries because of their gdp...but I never been to any of these countries besides Puerto Rico when I was a child... Are they just like D.r or is just D.R that is so famous for all these attractive problems?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Everything in Cuba is corrupt. It's the only way people can survive. I can't speak for all of Latin America but I've spent time in Costa Rica- some corruption but nothing like the DR. El Salvador -way worse than the DR in almost everyway , way more violent as well. Honduras = very corrupt and dangerous. Life is not valued there. The DR is dangerous is select areas and is very corrupt but people are actually friendly and not likely to kill you. The exception seems to be parts of the north coast.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Reading on this Forbes article on how D.R. is at the bottom..I was wondering ,I know the corruption is horrible top notch in D.R...but as far as as poverty,atrazado as we say,electric problem,water problem no respect for driving laws etc..how does it compare to say central america,Cuba or peurto Rico even though they say their not poor..I know Brazil and mexico are considered g8 or g20 countries because of their gdp...but I never been to any of these countries besides Puerto Rico when I was a child... Are they just like D.r or is just D.R that is so famous for all these attractive problems?

you might start here

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But as far as water and electricity shortage is it the same

In my time in Honduras we had no water problems but brown out were constant. My Cuban relatives complain about both, however how big the problems are I don't know. Remember some of the countries in Latin America have plenty of lakes and rivers.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Puerto Rico is the US. The mail system even works. Lights work. You can drink the water from the tap. But there is no public transport to speak of.. as in no Caribe tours, probably more like Fl than the DR.

Most of Central America now is involved in a pretty violent drug war, although Costa Rica always seems to remain calm amidst it all. When I was there, the only huge disruption was an earthquake.

I do not know if expats can just go live in Cuba? can they?

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
There are expats in Cuba, but not in great numbers. Generally, it's more difficult for Americans to live there than others, but that is on the American end and not the Cuban end; still, there are a few. Certainly there are European, Canadian and other expats there, some married to Cubans. Also, there are expats who spend 3 to 6 months there every year. Cuba is difficult. Foreigners are not encouraged to mingle in with the local population. You can't work, can only buy certain "foreigner" properties, and are encouraged to use the "foreigner" currency (CUC) although you can use the local one (CUP). There are shortages of everything, food choices are limited, and there is very very very limited access to the internet. Very few foreigners have Cuban citizenship, but those who do are able to work and to get food with their ration card. I love Cuba and I've visited many times but I don't think I could live there. Cubans have suffered a lot, and although they are incredibly resilient they are not that open to outsiders. Associating with foreigners can cost some of them their jobs. Also, since most Cubans who approach tourists are hustlers and whores, most "regular" Cubans are afraid of being mistaken for them.

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Mountainannie,
I've read lots of your posts and would encourage you to visit Cuba if you have the chance, and when you are feeling better. I have a feeling you would like it. Compared to the DR it is clean, not a lot of traffic, very safe for foreigners. It is culturally incredibly rich and you can see world class ballet, traditional dance and music shows. The Cubans actively use acupuncture, holistic medicine and herbs, along with western medicine. The population is educated, on the whole. And in many ways, it is like stepping into another time. As I've said, I love Cuba, but it also breaks my heart. It is a vibrant, alive, decaying beautiful place.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
I find it rather interesting that the one country in Central America that has actually stabilized in the last five to ten years is, surprisingly, Nicaragua. I'm currently planning to visit the city of Granada, Nicaragua next year which has recently become somewhat popular with expats.

Granada Nicaragua

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Mountainannie,
I've read lots of your posts and would encourage you to visit Cuba if you have the chance, and when you are feeling better. I have a feeling you would like it. Compared to the DR it is clean, not a lot of traffic, very safe for foreigners. It is culturally incredibly rich and you can see world class ballet, traditional dance and music shows. The Cubans actively use acupuncture, holistic medicine and herbs, along with western medicine. The population is educated, on the whole. And in many ways, it is like stepping into another time. As I've said, I love Cuba, but it also breaks my heart. It is a vibrant, alive, decaying beautiful place.

I am sure that I would love Cuba. Sadly, I am a US citizen and there are still severe penalties against going there. Yes, I know that I could certainly skirt them, particularly living here. But I keep thinking that they will lift the embargo any day. And as I said, I do not think that they are open to "settlement" from expats, are they?

plus, of course, i do have issues with the freedom of the press there and how journalists have been treated.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
MA, just fulfill the items on the Financial Assets Control (agency or whatever) checklist and you can visit Cuba all you want. Google it.

Done it myself a couple of times.

And PS, the so-called "embargo" has always been a sham. It gives the US haters lots to rave about, however.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am sure that I would love Cuba. Sadly, I am a US citizen and there are still severe penalties against going there. Yes, I know that I could certainly skirt them, particularly living here. But I keep thinking that they will lift the embargo any day. And as I said, I do not think that they are open to "settlement" from expats, are they?

plus, of course, i do have issues with the freedom of the press there and how journalists have been treated.

Many Canadians, and Europeans live in Cuba fulltime. The ladies for hire are cheaper than almost any other place and most of them are doctors, teachers...moonlighting as they earn almost nothing as professionals. Medical supplies , for the common Cubans are scarce as hen's teeth, and there are many dangerous areas in the Capital, at least for Cubans. My brother and his wife own a house in Havana. The infrastructure is old and broken down. A good in-depth visit to Cuba with your eyes wide open and no pre-conceptions on the good or bad you've got already set in your mind ( left-leaning as you are) would be good for you. Cubans are very friendly people and yes the music and dance are great.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
it is interesting to me that the DR does not even somehow get itself into the discussion of places to retire in Central and Latin America Best Place to Live in the World: Power Rankings

I know some people who lived in Roatan, Honduras. They left because they felt they were in constant danger.

As for the DR and retirement promotion, I guess there is not enough money to graft off that opportunity.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I cannot see anything on the list to support taking a vacation to Cuba by a US Citizen:

To the extent your proposed travel to Cuba is not generally authorized, as noted in the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, use this form to apply for licenses to travel to Cuba in the following categories of travel:

Journalistic Activities
Professional Research and Professional Meetings
Religious Activities
Support for the Cuban People
Humanitarian Projects
Activities of Private Foundations or Research or Educational Institutes
Exportation, Importation, or Transmission of Information or Informational Materials
Licensed Exportations
Family Visits
Educational Activities
Public Performances, Clinics, Workshops, Athletic and Other Competitions, and Exhibitions

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just go to any travel agent in SD. They have deals for air and hotel included. No one cares if you have a US Passport, as it is NEVER stamped. You go RT from the Capital with no problems.

Aug 6, 2006
Granada is an old colonial y with a lot of beautiful buildings. There was a period during which Granada and Leon fought over which would be the capital, and Managua was settled on as a compromise. Earthquakes since then seem to suggest that this was not a really great idea. Granada was the capital the Conservadores favored. Le?n was the favorite of the Liberales.

Conservadores were the church party and wanted the church to control schools and cemeteries. Liberales tended to be Masons and wanted state control of such things. Divorce and inheritance were also major issues. I don't think that this old feud has much to do with politics in Nicaragua today, though.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mountainannie,

i do not have the same amount of exposure to Cuba as you do, but the memory that sticks with me most is the afternoon i spent discussing modern European history with a 21 year old guy and his 19 year old wife in the midst of a bunch of very poor people.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
I know some people who lived in Roatan, Honduras. They left because they felt they were in constant danger.

As for the DR and retirement promotion, I guess there is not enough money to graft off that opportunity.

I understand what you are saying, but can't the ministry of tourism promote that or is that a whole different situation...