water consumption

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
More than half of all water is wasted

Dominicans waste 54% of all the drinking water and this implies millions in losses for the state. Santo Domingo Water and Sewer Corporation (CAASD) director Alejandro Montas says that this is happening despite the prolonged drought affecting the country. He said that although international standards specify a daily use of 200 liters per person, water consumption in Santo Domingo is over 400 liters per person per day. Montas added that if the drought extends into November the situation would become unsustainable and citizens would face major inconveniences. However, the CAASD director conceded that the situation in many of the reservoirs has improved and that Santo Domingo's water supply systems were working at full capacity. dr1

My first comment is that it is NOT drinking water, is it? Are there any tests that say that the tap water in SD is drinkable? Also What are we using all the water on? 200 liters is 52 gallons according to the translation I have. Well, maybe with all the floor mopping every day? per person that seems like a lot of water.

But I do wonder if that is consumption or water that is leaking.

Aug 6, 2006
Floor mopping seems to be an obsession with Dominican women. Three buckets and half an hour and the water gets flung out, where it dries up, so it can return in mud or dust form. Many a dirt molecule easily makes 365 round trips a day.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A toilet flush 5 l ( for new toilets to ) to 10 l ( for older toilets ).
A shower 35 L.
Washing up, laundry, swiming pools, car washing, gardens......
It all adds up in the end.
Without even speaking about leaks in the pipes or overflowing tinacoas.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When too many people live in an area where there is not enough water for them, this becomes part of the discussion. Conservation is not something people worry about here. Perhaps in a few generations.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Most of the waste is a result of lack of maintenance and repair of the water delivery system infrastructure.

Regards,

PJT

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
That is an average per person based on total usage. This is people hacking into mains, as they do all over and then leaving it open for the rest of the day so that the rest of the street can fill their tanks by bucket. That is how it works in many barrio/campo environments for the most. When someone runs out of water they just dig up the street, hack into the line and then fill up their tanks or cistern, then leave it open running for someone else to take the responsibility of closing. This sometimes takes a few days before someone takes the initiative. A lot of water wasted, but a nice river running down the lane for the kids to play in.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
If u dug into the main pipes in my campo, u would get.......... no water. They open the vannes when they feel like it.
3 days without water........ and counting. ( very unusal, we normaly get 2/3 hours a day. ).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Conservation of anything is not part of Domincan culture. They just do not get the idea.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
EXACTLY what "PJT" posted!
The head of the water dept. is just "Blowing Smoke Up Our A$$ES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In true to form Dominican style,....."No Es MI Culpa"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Wanna talk about "Wasted" electricity?????
I DON'T!!!!!!

"Greybeard" told me that "Potable Water", means you can carry it in a bucket!!!!!:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny: