Home Internet Options Sosua Area

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I really wish I could figure out how to narrow down the threads returned using the search function on DR1. I've waded through as many of the results I can without pulling my hair out.

What I am looking for:

I need to arrange for internet service shortly after I arrive. I will be living close to Sosua. I would prefer a non cellphone/air wave based service so that immediately excludes Orange's LTE offerings. I know that Claro offers fijo (fixed location) internet service and I have already visited their website. I am looking for a minimum 6 mbs down and 1mbs up.

Are there any other options that are worth exploring? All I need is the name of the company your are using, the offered speed/price and your general impression re: the reliability of the service.

Thanks in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
My first choice would be Claro, a weak second to DeLancer cable. But maybe some can update us on Delancer.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Delancer fluctuates but I just ran a speed test and I have 1.43 Mbps download with a .24 Mbps upload and we have the mid level plan, not sure what the top tier garners.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't seem to find a website for Delancer. Are they still located at Las Charamicos? I'll drop by and see what they offer.

Aug 21, 2007
I have always used Delancer. Due to taking graduate classes online, I upgraded to their 5mb service at $$$. I also have a community center that has educational programming using technology. There, I recently connected Claro, with 10 mb. I haven't checked whether I am receiving that, but I can tell you, we use as many as 24 devices all connected to the internet at one time - whether the user is actually online may be another story- but the service is (I hate to say this as a 9 year Delancer customer) better than Delancer at a much less cost. We also have 2 Orange fly boxes. One works well. The other, not so well. Thus, for anyone wanting and needing really high speed, dependable internet service, my experience leads me to recommend Claro.

~ Lindsey

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lindsey,

Do you mind me asking how much you pay for 5mb with Delancer?

I'm leaning towards Claro and I believe they use a DSL service attached to a phone line. I wasn't planning on having a land line telephone installed preferring to use my cell. Possibly another reason to choose Claro for the bundling. I'll find out from Claro if a telephone is mandatory for their internet service.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This has been discussed several times in past. Consensus has so far always been Claro.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Claro website seems to indicate that there are no data download limits. Am I reading that correctly?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks folks for the info. Looks like Claro is the most promising choice. If that outfit fails miserably, based on service to my location, we'll consider Delancer as a fallback option.,

Lindsey,

That price seems kind of high for the speed you are getting. There must be a reason you are still with them after all this time. I'll take it that you are satisfied with the service and or have no other choice. Thanks for the input.

With two promising avenues to follow, I'll consider this conundrum resolved and move on to the next.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Thanks folks for the info. Looks like Claro is the most promising choice. If that outfit fails miserably, based on service to my location, we'll consider Delancer as a fallback option.

You will be required to sign 18 month contract with Claro. You can do it only in Puerto Plata. Their Sosua office can't do it. Then wait from a few days to a month for the technician to come and get you connected. With all that hassle, it is still a better deal than DeLancer (Cable Atlantico).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I knew it seemed too good to be true. A month! I have a serious internet addiction to feed. We'll have to see if a gatuidad might prove helpful. If not, there will be a spike in business at a local bar with wifi.