DR1 impetus for Dominican nationalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
After reading a fb post that was making the rounds on the 16th I realized DR1 and the comments of many of it's posters confirms what many Dominicans think of foreigners: especially when they want to meddle in their politics.

Here is their quote I am referring to:

Hoy, mas que un d?a festivo es una fecha conmemorativa que debe llenarnos de patriotismo y hacernos recordar a esos hombres valientes que se entregaron por la patria. Los dominicanos debemos luchar d?a a d?a para no ser privados de nuestra libertad, para hacer valer la identidad de nuestra naci?n y lograr que permanezca libre de toda potencia extranjera.

So keep up the good work. :squareeye

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do

Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

I hope someday you will join us
And the world will live as one

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
Los dominicanos debemos luchar d?a a d?a para no ser privados de nuestra libertad, para hacer valer la identidad de nuestra naci?n y lograr que permanezca libre de toda potencia extranjera.

We, dominicans, should because people like you don't read the constitution. I don't think that person was talking about any foreigner who enjoys the DR culture and wants to become a citizen. They were likely talking about people who want to disrupt the culture and coop the country.

I wonder how many DR1 users are expats (# who enjoy DR, # who visited and now cant get themselves to see the allure) and and how many are dominicans (who either emigrated or live in DR) and are looking for informationand to connect with others.

Aug 6, 2006
Dominicans can relish their independence very well, being as they had to win it several times.

Not being a citizen, I am neutral about Dominican politics.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
After reading a fb post that was making the rounds on the 16th I realized DR1 and the comments of many of it's posters confirms what many Dominicans think of foreigners: especially when they want to meddle in their politics.

Hoy, mas que un d?a festivo es una fecha conmemorativa que debe llenarnos de patriotismo y hacernos recordar a esos hombres valientes que se entregaron por la patria. Los dominicanos debemos luchar d?a a d?a para no ser privados de nuestra libertad, para hacer valer la identidad de nuestra naci?n y lograr que permanezca libre de toda potencia extranjera.

libre de toda potencia extranjera? free of all outside power?

and exactly how is that going to be achieved when the DR is a developing nation which is economically dependent upon the core countries?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
chump didn't "Get It"!!!!
The message is NOT about any "Foreigners" living in the DR, it's about "ONE PERSON's" idea that the DR should not be influenced by "Foreign Countries"!!!!
Did you expect anything else from him?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
chump didn't "Get It"!!!!
The message is NOT about any "Foreigners" living in the DR, it's about "ONE PERSON's" idea that the DR should not be influenced by "Foreign Countries"!!!!
Did you expect anything else from him?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Exactly. OP missed the boat on that one. Reading for comprehension not a strong point for him.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ANY pretext to show how "Dominican" he is, how dumb we are,and how we don't "Fit In' Here.
The only two things he forgot was an anti abortion comment, and a "USA BASH"!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Chip why on earthz do you promote an agenda that will always view you as an outsider? Now you quote patriotic Dominican themes? Cant you just be happy being a US citizen living abroad?

You can talk Dominican Spanish and eat bottom of the pot rice all you want. Everyone looks at you as a gringo
So be happy being a gringo

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Everyone looks at you as a gringo
So be happy being a gringo

Maybe Chip should do the reverse?

sammy dark.jpg

To:

sammy white.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
He STILL doesn't realize that dominicans are laughing at him behind his back for his, "Soy Dominicano, Soy Platanado" act!
We are just laughing in front of him!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not much to be proud about

... quote I am referring to:

"...hombres valientes que se entregaron por la patria..." ?? :laugh:

Well, that quote is rather unfortunate.

It seems that hardly a "brave man" fought for the nation.
According to this they rather battled against each other:
"(...) in local politics, leadership during the war was concentrated in the hands of a few regional caudillos, or strongmen, who could command the loyalty of the regions and who were more intent on bettering themselves and their followers than the nation as a whole. This system of political power persisted until the late 20th century."*
And may I add 'until today'.... :rambo:

In the end the proud war was only won, because:
"On the other side of the Atlantic, the Cortes decided it did not want to fund a war for a territory it did not really need, and on March 3, 1865, Queen Isabella II signed the annulment of the annexation."*
So, Spain did not really need the territory and withdrew their troops.

Like many international companies have done in the past, freeing the DR from foreign power.
Well, if this is what they want.... :) Adelante...

donP

*) quoted from Wikipedia.

Last edited:

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
"...hombres valientes que se entregaron por la patria..." ?? :laugh:

Well, that quote is rather unfortunate.

It seems that hardly a "brave man" fought for the nation.
According to this they ...

How convenient that you left out preceding sentence: "The Dominican victory also showed Cubans and Puerto Ricans that Spain could be defeated."

We all have access to Wikipedia so please at least cite a book that will take us more than 10 minutes to read and deconstruct.

In the end the proud war was only won, because:
"On the other side of the Atlantic, the Cortes decided it did not want to fund a war for a territory it did not really need, and on March 3, 1865, Queen Isabella II signed the annulment of the annexation."*
So, Spain did not really need the territory and withdrew their troops.

Like many international companies have done in the past, freeing the DR from foreign power.
Well, if this is what they want.... :) Adelante...

donP

*) quoted from Wikipedia.

Really? That was it? Spain simply "did not really need" DR and decided to let go?

I guess it had nothing to do with the fact that the Spain crown were arrogant and over extended in trying to conquer and control more territories than feasible? Then leading them to save face and use the excuse, "we just realized that we don't need it anyway but hey look we can play in Cuba."

1864 Chincha Islands War: The war began. - Chincha Islands War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1866 Chincha Islands War: The war ended.
1868 Ten Years' War: A war with Cuba began. - Ten Years' War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1872 Third Carlist War: The war began.

nexx

Jul 11, 2014

Sorry I went on the attack, Chip. Combination of me taking it the wrong way and you writing a message that was borderline risque in its wording. Wish you would have provided a link.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
libre de toda potencia extranjera? free of all outside power?

and exactly how is that going to be achieved when the DR is a developing nation which is economically dependent upon the core countries?

You are reading too much into it. All nations are dependent in some way on others...even the US (just ask china).

Status
Not open for further replies.