Census - Who are DR1's Participants?

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
I've been reading DR1 for a long time but only recently became a contributing user. I find it a good source of information and it has been useful to me over the years. I find that social sites (like twitter or forums) offer information more readily than commercial news institutions. Since I started contributing by replying to messages, I realized that there are too many negative comments regarding DR.

So I wonder... What type of site it this? Am I the intended demographic? Has the demographic changed over the years? Do I need to take DR1 for what it is and also look for alternative sources?

I'd like to know which category you fall in:

A) Expat who enjoys DR and/or critical but have hope for DR.
B) Expat/visitor who once enjoyed the excitement of DR but now critical. Slim chances of it been recovered.
C) Dominican who either lives in DR, emigrated, or are descendant and looking for information regarding the country and to connect with others (both expats and dominicans).
D) Other. Please explain.

If you, like me are just a reader. I encourage you to create an account share your opinion.

I fall in category C. Once again, I enjoy DR1 and hope it can continue to be a good source for information and connections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
D) Other :)

Frequent visitor, enjoying the DR, neutral, hoping for the best (I am an optimist !).

I am A.
Really you have to toughen up your skin and not take all the negative comments seriously. I got blasted on here when I first joined, it's part of the hazing process :).

I don't think you will find better info ANYWHERE on the DR than this site just ignore the negative stuff you don't want to see.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
D

A Puerto Rican, originally from the Bronx, who loves to travel and has made DR one of the places to vacation. Found DR1 while making travel arrangements to vacation in DR in 2006. Left my mark and broke a few hearts in Santiago and SD and can't wait to resume my travels once the funds are there. Ready to break a few more. hahahahahahahaha

Remember, "Amor de lejos, amor de pendejos". ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
D. Visitor who doesn't mind hearing any negatives so I can go with eyes open. I know the positives which is the reason I return

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
D. I visit for several months every year and now own property on the north coast. I am back in Canada and miss the DR. When I am in DR too long I miss Canada. I thoroughly enjoy both worlds and have many friends both north and south. The negatives on this site do not bother me and are sometimes useful. I take my own counsel based on observation, experience and the experiences of others. I am cautiously hopeful going forward and wish the residents of this beautiful country well.

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
I am A.
Really you have to toughen up your skin and not take all the negative comments seriously. I got blasted on here when I first joined, it's part of the hazing process :).

I don't think you will find better info ANYWHERE on the DR than this site just ignore the negative stuff you don't want to see.

I do need to toughen up. There's a reason why i never posted online. And, you're right, i have not found a better site. That said, i think this poll is useful. I would like those expats who criticize DR to understand that there are dominicans with the same concerns that want to make it a better place. It bears repeating as we're all otherwise called part of the problem.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
D. Traveled here for 20 years, lived here f/t for 6+, have established friends, family and businesses here. I plan to apply for citizenship through marriage which will allow for more direct participation in the making of the future of the DR.

I'm here for the duration. My ashes will be scattered here.

No place escapes criticism, nor should it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
a. I'm living fulltime in the DR, married to a Dominicana with two private schools in Jarabacoa. I 'm surrounded by children all day, so get to see both the positives and negatives of the country on a minute by minute basis. On my bad days the negatives equal the positives, but most days the positives outweigh by far the negatives. Most of the negatives you can work around or ignore.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
D:
don't like it, never did, never will. i observe the present, learn about the past see some potential for the future of this country, against all odds. i saw my own country change dramatically so i know it can happen.
and miesposo better sends my dead body to poland as ordered or no amount of exorcism will get help him get rid of my pi**ed off spirit.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
D:
don't like it, never did, never will. i observe the present, learn about the past see some potential for the future of this country, against all odds. i saw my own country change dramatically so i know it can happen.
and miesposo better sends my dead body to poland as ordered or no amount of exorcism will get help him get rid of my pi**ed off spirit.

I have to admit I admire you DV8 for some strange reasons.:p

nexx

Jul 11, 2014
I should correct myself. I realize that those who criticize aren't necessarily expats. Some are just visitors, some are dominicans who want nothing to do with the country (i've met a couple), and some are just instigators. I've been incorrectly using "expats" and "foreign visitor" in an interchangeable manner.

Back to the poll. I should add that i originally lived in the Bronx now Brooklyn.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
D:

You must really, really love tu esposo.
He's a lucky guy.
Ain't love grand.....:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nexx, i should clarify then that i live here full time, legal resident.

thanks for appreciation :)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
D.
Lived and worked in the D.R. (tourism) from 1989 to 2008.
My love affair with the country lasted just a little under twenty years. Although I was primarily on the East coast, I had the great good fortune to do some travelling. The only area that I never got around to was the Northwest coast. (Monte Cristi and surrounds.)
The decision to leave in 2008 was primarily health related but, in all honesty, the thrill was gone.
Where once I could smile or laugh or shrug my shoulders at all the idiosyncrisies, I found myself gnashing my teeth and losing my temper. It was time and I knew it.
I am not sorry that I left to return to Canada but I will always carry a soft spot in my heart for the Dominican people and the beautiful land they call home.