Walk in MRI here?

Takenforgranite

Feb 1, 2014
I read some months ago that MRIs are comparatively extraordinarily cheap here. This post featured someone asking about walk in MRIs, cost, and where to get them. "MRI" is only 3 letters long and as such not searchable.

My sister is coming in a couple weeks and is being made to jump through all sorts of hoops by insurance to get her migraines squared away. :dead: They won't grant her approval for an MRI until a crap ton of stuff happens. Well, there was not enough time for all that stuff to happen before her insurance lapsed. So I'd like to just pony up the cash here (since it's supposedly so cheap) and have her looked at. Anyone got any info on such things?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
You need an order from a physician. When I hurt my shoulder, the cost at Bournigal was 1200 pesos with my insurance or 6000 paid outright.

Maybe you could locate a neurologist in POP to order the MRI when she arrives?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I had a doctor from clinica Hernandez order one last fall for the lumbar portion of my back. Their machine was not working. So I had to go to SD for something else and walked in to Clinica Abreu - no appointment. With I think 500RD "incentive", I had both the lumbar and cervical column done for what I remember was around RD20K no insurance. My Canadian insurance (RBC) reimbursed me later.

tartesos

Dec 7, 2011
Please make sure she asks for her images to be loaded into a CD( burned into a disk) so her Physician can see them on her home country( they can even be uploaded unto her records).
Best of luck!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I read some months ago that MRIs are comparatively extraordinarily cheap here. This post featured someone asking about walk in MRIs, cost, and where to get them. "MRI" is only 3 letters long and as such not searchable.

My sister is coming in a couple weeks and is being made to jump through all sorts of hoops by insurance to get her migraines squared away. :dead: They won't grant her approval for an MRI until a crap ton of stuff happens. Well, there was not enough time for all that stuff to happen before her insurance lapsed. So I'd like to just pony up the cash here (since it's supposedly so cheap) and have her looked at. Anyone got any info on such things?

Ok, so your sister has a serious medical condition and she let her insurance expire? Not quite understanding this? Getting this done in the DR will not help her long term in the US. A doctor in the US is not going to be interested in an MRI done in the DR. Additionally many times an MRI or brain scan is done with injecting a die into the bloodstream to be able to see what is happening with the blood vessles in the brain. If you need medical attention for a serious condition and are a US citizen than you need to see a physician in the US and follow a prescribed course to solve this medical condition. Doing this in the DR because it's cheap or cheaper is not the answer.

Jan 17, 2009
I agree with some of the comments above. I've had MRIs done in the US and took the CD to my docs also in the US. They're only interested in the results as written by the radiologist. I doubt that a radiologist in a foreign country will take a look at a CD of an MRI done elsewhere. Liability is a very serious issue, and they won't risk it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
HOMS did my shoulder mri in one day. Had the procedure then went upstairs and the MD read it on the spot on his office computer. Only inflammation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's "dye." not "die."

but "die" sounds way cooler ;)

i had tomografia done with dye and it was seriously gross. enormous pot of anis flavoured drink plus few injections. you end up with a case of evryfiveminutespi**itis and a swollen arm.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My bad, dye, not die. Must have been a froidian slip. It is one thing to get an MRI on your back and another on your brain. If your sister lives in the US full time and wants some answers on her migraines than doing anything in the DR, short term, is not going to solve her problems and that is the bottom line.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
MRI & tomography are different.
Resonancia magn?tica (MRI) y tomografia (CT scan).
MRI offers several advantages over the CT scan.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
My bad, dye, not die. Must have been a froidian slip. It is one thing to get an MRI on your back and another on your brain. If your sister lives in the US full time and wants some answers on her migraines than doing anything in the DR, short term, is not going to solve her problems and that is the bottom line.

LT you better double-up spelling checker and grammar checker. ;)