Dominicans returning home from Spain

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Dominicans returning home from Spain

The continuing economic crisis affecting Spain and other European countries had led to a mass return of Dominicans to the country. Many have lost their jobs or their small businesses have gone under. In addition, in the last few weeks hundreds more have returned with tickets bought by the Dominican consulates in the United States, Puerto Rico, Panama, Venezuela, Aruba and Curacao, St. Martin, Guadeloupe, and other countries.

Dominicans returning from Spain interviewed by El Nacional at Las Americas Airport said that life for Dominicans there, especially for those who were illegal, was very difficult and that some were just surviving thanks to the help of friends who gave them clothes, medicines and food.

They said that there were many Dominicans, maybe even thousands, who wanted to return home but did not have the money or family to help them. They said that many had lost their businesses as they were unable to repay their bank loans.

Dominicanos abandonan Espa?a por falta empleos -

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
The question is: does the DR economy able to handle this exodus? Well, i guess home is home!

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Sometimes these experiences abroad for Dominicans are good. Many live in the DR not working hard enough believing that the problem is just that they are in a poor country so they will always be poor. Living abroad often helps Dominicans appreciate their country more and it exposes them to the good things in developed nations that they can apply in the DR.

They spent so much time working on getting out of the DR...after realizing wherever you go you need to work hard and that things aren't always what you make them out to be in your head--at least coming back home you won't spend time trying to leave but trying to do something so that you can afford to stay.

At least I like to believe these are the thoughts that go through their minds. I've seen this happen to many who have been through the same.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
An old friend left the DR 3 years ago for Germany. Learned the language and got a job. She works her ass off and refuses to send money home to her lazy family. She finally gets it.

Aug 6, 2006
Immigrants are rarely all that typical of the places they left. Living in a different culture seems to make people more adaptable and creative.

I would think that living in Spain would result in the spread of less bland and boring cuisine. Spanish food is tastier on average than Dominican food, and more varied.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I wonder if the Dominican "ladies of the night" are returning as well because of the economy?