Sosua Mayor Sounds Off

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From yesterday's Sosua News:

Recently, Mayor Ilana Neumann of Sos?a took stock of her reign during 2013 - 2014. She did this in the presence of representatives of neighborhood committees, commanders of the police and military and politicians from different political parties. She lashed out to critics who want to denigrate her with false information, gossip and lies. She called them 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

Then she gave a summary of the results achieved for the benefit of the community of Sos?a. The Villa Liberaci?n neighborhood now has a community center where training, information- and health activities take place. It is a poor neighborhood and the unemployment rate is very high. Furthermore, a cultural center (Casa de Arte) opened in the past period. More than hundred children receive music, ballet, painting and singing lessons. There are also dozens of youth workshops, including the manufacturing of jewelry. The mayor said the cultural center of Sos?a has a leading role for the province of Puerto Plata. 22 students take violin lessons from teacher Venus Guerrero. Furthermore the municipal choir rehearses here and there are regular art exhibitions. Even some important writers have been invited to bring their literary work under the attention of the audience.

In addition, the local authority has supported several cultural activities as the annual Gourmet Festival, the Jazz Festival and the Intensive School Development.

This school program is intended to reward outstanding students and to encourage further study. Furthermore, the mayor named contributions to religious organizations and the establishment of a literacy program. Also several sports clubs received financial support and sports equipment. The fire brigade and ambulance service received fuel all together worth one million pesos! Furthermore, sports centers were built or renovated. The garbage collection has been improved, and several garbage bins have been placed at various locations. The mayor ended with fierce criticism of her opponents and the way in which they try to denigrate her. Constructive criticism is always welcome, but gossip, lies and obstruction is counterproductive for the community of Sos?a. But she also had a point of self-criticism. The communication with the public could be better and this is where she will work on for the next period.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
"gossip, lies and obstruction"? I try and pay attention but I missed these. Oh, I get it, she means the people who disagree with her. The joint is cleaner, I give her that.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have been looking for the cultural center of Sosua. Anyone know where its located other than inside the mayors mind? A leading role translates into trying to figure out a way to get their hands on some of those tourist dollars. Good luck with that. The cruise lines are experts at keeping all the money for themselves. Our mayor is up against some experienced sharpies with the cruise line characters.

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
How did cruise lines get into the discussion here - I don't think she said anything about that?

I guess her biggest opposition is a certain portion of the expat community. I hope she doesn't start to make life difficult for all the expats simple because of the actions or opinions of a subset.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Never been termed a subset before but here goes. Here is how cruise lines entered. Herhonor said " the cultural center of Sos?a has a leading role for the province of Puerto Plata". What is going on in the future for PPP other than the cruise lines" Nothing and plenty of it. I made the jump to the cruise lines as it is the elephant in the room. Does Herhonor take notice of the expat community or plan retaliation? Should I be worried? What me worry! I just think its hilarious to create a fantasyland of culture out of putaville.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
How did cruise lines get into the discussion here - I don't think she said anything about that?

I guess her biggest opposition is a certain portion of the expat community. I hope she doesn't start to make life difficult for all the expats simple because of the actions or opinions of a subset.

Did you ever ponder the notion that perhaps it is YOU that are actually the "subset" and the others are mainstream?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
That Villa Liberation thing is such crap...they need so much more than a community center...geez, that was the last thing on the list for that town. Good for a photo op though.

In Sosua, she is following the directions of the foreign investors and developers. I see Willy around town a lot lately, talking to the people on the streets....I wonder what he is building up too?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Is it possible to put 'outstanding +mediocrity' in the same phrase because that's what we see?

Where's the hospital?
There is nothing to see in the Casa del Arte.'Bin there.Done that and there's nothing new or worthwhile.
There are still broken roads and flood plains.
I like the idea of closing PC but making it into Disneyland will be a struggle.
There is still overflowing garbage, although I think it's a bit less, maybe.
As for the fire and ambulances, now they have fuel, they can be used for shopping, if they have batteries.
AMET is still an uneducated gang of extortionists.
The PN and CESUR seem to be relatively civil.
I can't comment on schools and sport.I know nothing about these.
There are some that like the new Sosua. They are the ones left. The majority have gone elsewhere.

I can understand that the funds have to come from civic taxes and that they are probably quite meagre but stimulation of the economy and investment opportunities combined with effective,just and non-corrupt revenue collection could surely help out.

A few pavements and paint on the roads won't do much in the long run.
I know many Sosua locals are banking on the cruise port to improve matters but I would guess they don't understand fully how cruises work.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
That Villa Liberation thing is such crap...they need so much more than a community center...geez, that was the last thing on the list for that town. Good for a photo op though.

In Sosua, she is following the directions of the foreign investors and developers. I see Willy around town a lot lately, talking to the people on the streets....I wonder what he is building up too?
She needs Wiily on her side so that he can persuade the uninformed masses to re-elect her. The agenda she is pushing is financed and promoted by the developers but they do not carry sufficient votes. A few more pesos in Willy's pockets will make sure she gets back in.

I have noticed Vladimir is raising his profile on FB, maybe he is going to take another run at the sindico office.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
She needs Wiily on her side so that he can persuade the uninformed masses to re-elect her. The agenda she is pushing is financed and promoted by the developers but they do not carry sufficient votes. A few more pesos in Willy's pockets will make sure she gets back in.

I have noticed Vladimir is raising his profile on FB, maybe he is going to take another run at the sindico office.

You are out of date. Willy is probably working against her since she didn't come to his support when his bar was closed. He announced then that he was leaving PRD and going back to the PRSC

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
You are out of date. Willy is probably working against her since she didn't come to his support when his bar was closed. He announced then that he was leaving PRD and going back to the PRSC

You may be right but she needs someone from that side of the street to help her get elected. The residents of Infiniti Blue may have clout and money but their numbers are relatively few.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
"Culture" was what Sosua really lacking, and now we have plenty of that, let's move on and make other important things the priority....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Culture" was what Sosua really lacking, and now we have plenty of that, let's move on and make other important things the priority....

we don't exactly have culture yet. movies on PC do not rise to that level. when they put in a drive-in theater, then maybe.