"Inverter" Air Conditioner?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think CC mentioned those a couple of times.

What brands are there and how much are they? How many BTU for a 50 - 60 square meter room?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have 2 Ciac inverter A/C, they costed me (3 years ago) 35,000 pesos each. (12000 BTU).

For 50 or 60 m2 you will need probably 24000 BTU.

I must say I am very happy with CIAC. It's a (low budget) brand of Carrier (Carrier Inter America).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Where do they sell them?

I have 2 Ciac inverter A/C, they costed me (3 years ago) 35,000 pesos each. (12000 BTU).

For 50 or 60 m2 you will need probably 24000 BTU.

I must say I am very happy with CIAC. It's a (low budget) brand of Carrier (Carrier Inter America).

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Stay away from frigidaire, only advice i can tell you.

Would stay away from plaza lama in general too . Had a bad adventure with both (Lama and Frigidaire) also theyr AC online have bad review, wish i checked that before buying my first AC here.

I have two frigidaire and one Samsung 12K btu inverter, and im really happy with the Samsung.

I think your best shot is either Panasonic or Samsung.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think CC mentioned those a couple of times.

What brands are there and how much are they? How many BTU for a 50 - 60 square meter room?

I have a 12000 BTU and have looked twice into getting a larger AC unit. There are online calculations you can use to determine how large of an AC to purchase. I have a vaulted ceiling with the highest point of the ceiling being 15 FT high. I also have two windows that get direct sunlight and there is nothing blocking the sun on the outside of the window such as a balcony.

I have had three different people come out and was told 24000 BTU and one said maybe 18000 BTU. I think some of it depends on how you are going to use the AC. Are you from a place that you are use to cold AC? Are you going to cool the room down during the day or just at night?

I like to get the room cold then cut the AC for a while. So for me I think a larger AC unit makes sense because I can cool down the room fast and then turn it off. Once the room is cold at night it seems to remain comfortable for a long time with the AC off and just the fan. Also how many people are in the room, how many electronic devices, etc.

I know you can buy an AC unit that is too big and that could be a problem. I think with calculating for a well insulated house with central air is different then cool a room here. I think most places here there is AC escaping from the room.

I do have curtains on my window with black out curtain on them. As far as fans the KDK fans are awesome and I see them everywhere. I think another fan could also help if you want more air hitting you directly.

There are panasonic, samsung, TGM, KTC and maybe some others. In Puerto Plata Carribio has panasonic and samsung with inverters. La Sirena has the KTC with inverter. The AC store close to our house has the TGM with the inverter.

TGM i think 24000 BTU 61,000 pesos installed and 18000 BTU 51,000 pesos installed.

KTC i did not see a 24000 BTU and would have to check on those prices at La Sirena.

I posted that Panasonic earlier that is on sell at Carribio I think it was 55,000 pesos and was actually 22,000 BTU.

How to Calculate Air Conditioner Size for a House | eHow

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have one Ciac 12000 BTU but without an inverter. I think we paid 23,600 pesos installed from Carribio installed. It was great in our old house. It is just small for our new place. But the AC unit itself has worked fine for 1 1/2 years or so. I would have to check if Carribio has the Ciac with the inverter. I do not remember seeing them with inverters at Carribio.

I agree I have not problem with the brand Ciac. I see a lot of the KTC and TGM in businesses. I don't think I would get the most expensive samsung.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Plaza Lama had"Carrier" inverter A/C's on sale this week.
Another good brand.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Baker, good information, Thanks!

Last edited: