I have better computer at home but it's broken.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
How many of you heard similar things here in DR? When ever I am working working/playing with laptops/tablets/cell phones. I heard this all the time.

Just today I was cleaning my trusty laptop on free time and every person who passes by told me they have computer similar or better at home but they also say it's broken. And this is from EVERY SINGLE PERSON! I know they are poor and have like 48 hours of electricity on any given week and two boys fought over(not seriously) two Presidente bottle caps I brought today. And them telling me that they have "better things" at home isn't going to help keeping my ears open to their saying "when you buy better model give me old ones" talks, after "I have a better things at home" speach.

So sick of this crap.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
never heard this before. sounds like "my tits are perkier than yours but today i forgot a bra".

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
never heard this before. sounds like "my tits are perkier than yours but today i forgot a bra".

I swear, if I heard this one more time...

Maybe lack of work and coming down with cold (maybe Chikun side effect?) is getting on to me. Or maybe I am having a bad day. But it seems like every people that had passed by me owns one similar or better and it's broken.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"They" have no clue and don't know what is a "better" computer, just ask them what parts / software they have installed. I bet they come up with Pentium 3 and Windows "Equis Pe". :D

May 5, 2007
How many of you heard similar things here in DR? When ever I am working working/playing with laptops/tablets/cell phones. I heard this all the time.

Just today I was cleaning my trusty laptop on free time and every person who passes by told me they have computer similar or better at home but they also say it's broken. And this is from EVERY SINGLE PERSON! I know they are poor and have like 48 hours of electricity on any given week and two boys fought over(not seriously) two Presidente bottle caps I brought today. And them telling me that they have "better things" at home isn't going to help keeping my ears open to their saying "when you buy better model give me old ones" talks, after "I have a better things at home" speach.

So sick of this crap.

Maybe they don't want anyone to think they are poor?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We learned our lesson several years ago - felt sorry for someone in DR without a computer, and gave them my old laptop when I bought a new one. It was working well, and I spent hours on end explaining everything. We left DR and returned to the US, and a couple of months later we got a phone call from her - the computer was broken and she needed $75 to fix it. She expected we'd keep up with all repairs in perpetuity. I put Mr. AE on the phone, she never called again. :)

No good deed goes unpunished.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
"They" have no clue and don't know what is a "better" computer, just ask them what parts / software they have installed. I bet they come up with Pentium 3 and Windows "Equis Pe". :D

Entry level, manual labor workers seems to have it all!

i7 CPU, $300 GPU with $200 motherboard and 850W power supply running Windows 8.1 but still wants $60, 3 years old nVidia graphic card...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We learned our lesson several years ago - felt sorry for someone in DR without a computer, and gave them my old laptop when I bought a new one. It was working well, and I spent hours on end explaining everything. We left DR and returned to the US, and a couple of months later we got a phone call from her - the computer was broken and she needed $75 to fix it. She expected we'd keep up with all repairs in perpetuity. I put Mr. AE on the phone, she never called again. :)

Similar thing happened to me too.
One of them wants me to replace his water damaged phone that I handed down to him. Last time I went to US he wants Samsung Galaxy Note II?!?!

Funny thing is since my wife/son went through several phones, I am now on three years old SII.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Similar thing happened to me too.
One of them wants me to replace his water damaged phone that I handed down to him. Last time I went to US he wants Samsung Galaxy Note II?!?!

Funny thing is since my wife/son went through several phones, I am now on three years old SII.

Ha! A nephew's phone broke a couple of years ago. I had an extra iPhone 3GS down there, and offered it to him, but it wasn't good enough, he wanted at least a 4. I nodded my head and walked away.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Koreano,...."Priorities"???????
Slow day today?????
Humor them!
"K Bueno" is easy to say.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

K Bueno to what?
Giving them my barely 3 years old perfectly working laptop?

I joked about giving them my old stuff.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
CC is saying to tell the people, "que bueno." It's like saying to them, "that's nice."

If you're looking to get into a conversation with them ask them specs on their equipment. What kind of processor does it have? How much RAM? What's the capacity of the hard drive.

Or even better, tell them yours has 32GB RAM and 3TB HDD, see if they give you a higher number!! LOL! Tambien tiene Windows 8.5!!

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
same thing happened to me - he came round crying that the laptop didn't work anymore and I should pay to keep it running. Weeird.

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
It seems that electronics have a very short life expectancy in the DR. I owned a cyber cafe in La Romana. All new Dell systems in 2006, 12 of them. Within 3 months my on site tech was asking me to bring down memory chips. ( Found out one of the other employees was stealing them and selling them ). After 6 months we only had 1/2 the systems operational. Also had to install a special card to prevent getting to the hard drive since they were always going to web sites infected with malware. It was a nightmare. Never again.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
I would not buy, give or loan anything more technical than a hammer or a shovel to a Dominican because in a very short space of time it would be damaged, broken or both.

FB

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Why are you flaunting your wares? I'd be more concerned w/someone stealing it now. I sense you're not very happy here. Don't take it out on the natives. The phenomenon that you're complaining about is not exclusive to Dominicans.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I would not buy, give or loan anything more technical than a hammer or a shovel to a Dominican because in a very short space of time it would be damaged, broken or both.

FB

For ****s sakes.. this is the reason a lot of us Dominicans get so ****ed off on dr1.. replace "Dominican" in your sentence to poor hillbilly and it wouldn't be so damn offensive. Obviously if some dude/chick is begging you to give them your 5 year old iphone they aren't representative of Dominicans and it's embarassing and offensive when people like you make those comparisons. Cut it out.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
For ****s sakes.. this is the reason a lot of us Dominicans get so ****ed off on dr1.. replace "Dominican" in your sentence to poor hillbilly and it wouldn't be so damn offensive. Obviously if some dude/chick is begging you to give them your 5 year old iphone they aren't representative of Dominicans and it's embarassing and offensive when people like you make those comparisons. Cut it out.

No intention to offend, just stating what I have experienced in my time here in the DR.

FB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My electronics last a long time here.

To the Op, one thing you need to know is many Dominicans feel inferior to the rich, city people (if from the country like Moca) and foreigners - so basically they are intimidated by you. This is easily resolved by engaging them and being friendly and asking how the family is. Before long you will have more friends than you know what to do with.