70 drug mules arrested at the airports in 2014

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Detienen 70

different nationalities, different drugs, different destinations. whenever i board a plane in DR i wonder how many passengers have coke in their luggage. or up theirs. or, most recently, in dem titties. they catch about 2 a week. how many pass through?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Detienen 70

different nationalities, different drugs, different destinations. whenever i board a plane in DR i wonder how many passengers have coke in their luggage. or up theirs. or, most recently, in dem titties. they catch about 2 a week. how many pass through?

Most probably pass through.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Indeed a very lousy way to make a living.........
I wonder how many are doing this under duress................
They have to be peeing in their pants when going through customs...........

B in Santiago.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lost war on Drugs DR impact is 75% of crime here

Police chief Major General Manuel Castro Castillo has called for an end to lenience by the courts at a time when 89 police agents have been murdered and another 130 injured by criminals. In an interview with El Nuevo Diario, Castro said: "It's a war." He said the criminals do not respect uniformed police on the beat.

He reported that the Police have arrested 40,342 people for crime. 22,000 were arrested for robbery and muggings. "But many of them are let out of jail easily," he said.

Castro Castillo called for a more active judiciary that applies the laws and codes because "if Justice played its role, there would be less crime."

He said that while the Police starts the investigation into a crime, it is the prosecutor who validates the proof. If there is an error in the paperwork, then the prosecutor should tell the police to correct it, he said.

He went on to say that what happens is that the criminals kill agents, fire at them and many of them get out by paying as little as RD$2,000.

The Police chief said that in Villa Maria recently, a police patrol tried to stop criminals who had mugged a group of young people in the early hours, and the criminals fired at the police. "In any other country, when they saw the Police those criminals would throw their firearms to the ground and would go to jail for at least five years. Here they fire at the Police and remain on the streets," he said.

The Police chief said that homicide rate in 2013 was 20.3 in every 100,000 and this has dropped to 18.4, which is significant.

Commenting on the reasons behind crime in the country, he mentioned that the Police had seized 1,610,824 grams of narcotics. But he recalled that a General from the US Southern Command had told the US Congress that the United States had lost the war against drugs, and that the Caribbean route would increasingly be used by traffickers for sending drugs to Europe and the United States.

Castro said that drug trafficking set up shop here a long time ago, and has grown to the point where it generates 75% of crime. "Other organizations like the National Drug Control Agency are not criticized and no one talks about their deficiencies," he complained. He defended the National Police by saying it is one of the law and order institutions that worked the hardest and with the greatest efficiency.

In his opinion one of the best ways to guarantee citizen safety is through education. He said that President Danilo Medina was "planting" schools. "The more education there is, the less crime there will be," he said.

"There are 8 to 12-year-old girls and boys in the barrios who are already addicted to drugs and are potential criminals," said Castro. He also called for more responsible parenting.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wise up people. Legalize, regulate and tax is the only answer. Prohibition never works.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Wise up people. Legalize, regulate and tax is the only answer. Prohibition never works.

That seems like a simple solution but it would never work.

If the DR legalized drugs like Holland for example, the USA would say, "uh, we don't agree with you. We're gonna hit you with sanctions and stop money/help until you make what we want illegal."

On the surface your plan works. Once you dig into it, it will never happen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That seems like a simple solution but it would never work.

If the DR legalized drugs like Holland for example, the USA would say, "uh, we don't agree with you. We're gonna hit you with sanctions and stop money/help until you make what we want illegal."

On the surface your plan works. Once you dig into it, it will never happen.

I fear you are right, I hope you are wrong. Maybe when drug crime hits 90% of the crime level here?

And PICHARDO, our closest connection to the inner sanctum of DR's rulers has said the DR is only one generation away from legalizing drugs. He was right about The METRO.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Why would criminals be afraid of the police when they can never know if they are "good" cops or "bad" cops ???

In Canada we don't have "dirty" cops and no one is affraid of the police because our cops "talk" first.... Our cops should be more like U.S. cops and draw their weapon first, and then "talk".... Our police force is a joke for the rest of the world....

So what they need to do here is first; clean the police force of all the dirt, and then people will respect the police... I'd like to think so.... I hope for the future of the D.R....

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@windeguy I hope to be wrong as well. The example has been set forth by the Netherlands it can be done. However, it takes education to make it happen correctly. If drugs were legalized and regulated here in the DR with the lack of education it would be a bad, bad thing.

@charlise Nobody should be like the US police. Have a look at this article for example ( Autopsy Contradicts the Police's Account of Victor White III's Shooting in the Back of a Cop Car | VICE United States )

All police departments should try to follow examples of nations in which police killings are extremely low or non-existent. I understand it is a high stress job in which your life is at risk but you took the job knowing that. Being a police officer should not give you the opportunity to live above the law and oppress the people in which you are entrusted to protect.