american man commits suicide in luperon

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
RIP dude. Sometimes when your bucket list is filled it's time to check out.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Strange, on his FB page his last post reads 'Travels with Ati - final voyage, last dance, dream's end', 12 Aug, read into that what you will.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this year we've had a lot of gringos commit suicide here on the north coast...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Sign of the times maybe:disappoin

Not as much murder this year, but the number of dead gringos is probably the same as any other year.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
This saddens me to read. Too bad we can only fix the part of broken hearts we can see. The parts we can only feel just can't be fixed with science. I try to maitain sympathy for thoswho have taken their own life. Sad.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Don't know his story but we all know the story of many gringos that come to the DR. Sell everything they have and move to the DR with their life savings with the vision of owning that little bar on the beach and being with that hot little 20 year old
chica forever and ever..Then we know what happens, some failed business investments in a country he knows nothing about, too many presidentes and too much money on his novias sick relatives operations..The DR is not a good place to be for a broke Gringo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was thinking about it for a while... could we start a support group on the NC? there are many dr1ers who have experience with depression and addictions. to me dr1 is sometimes a life line...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You already have AA no? I am not sure people would feel more inclined to go to a meeting where there is the chance their personals might be outed over the net. And when dealing with Alcoholics, Addicts and people suffering with depression (often one comes with the other) I doubt that would be very tempting to most. We all now there are drinkers on the forum, who sometimes drink and post. I think people might feel a little too vulnerable to open up around other posters for fear. After all, support groups are where you go to offload.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It seems anywhere you have a high concentration of older foreign men with an abundance of beautiful, young, broke
and willing females, you end up having this type of thing happening all too often.
I lived in south east Asia for a long time and it seems suicide is the norm over there for most
foreigners once they bottom out. I hope this does start to become a trend here. I know several "sexpats"
living on the north coast who need to slow down and learn from other people's mistakes.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
AA is not always the be all and end all for depression and lonliness. And some old time AA folks can be against medication. We have only to look back at the Robin Williams suicide, so soon after he was released from rehab.

Certainly it would be a great thing if we could expand the DR1 registry and online support to include more of a contact line for new comers and those who might feel stranded here. It can be a lot harder to open up in a in person Meeting in a small town.. and in Spanish.. (as far as I know, there is one English AA meeting in SD and there may be one other English Meeting somewhere in Puerto Plata..but as I said, that does not address those with other mental issues)

I took the liberty of actually going to the deceased's FB page and finding the "Diane" in question.. at least that is whom I assumed it to be since she was in the photos in the DR, and is now in Mexico, and sent her the information, just saying that I was a free lance journalist and did not know if the authorities here or the Embassy would have made contact with her.

I think it must be hard particularly for men, who do not show their vulnerabilites as easily as women do, to allow themselves to be helped.

One thing that I do think that we ought to do, collectively, is to make sure that newbies have given someone they know here in the DR their contact information at home. What to do in case of emergency? Who to call? That sort of thing.

Do we want to arrange some sort of buddy up project here on DR1? I (who keeps disappearing!) would be most happy to be of service to ANYONE in Santo Domingo who needs help. Also to anyone who has to come to SD for medical treatment. I may not be available to show folks around town or stuff like that but am certainly willing (and able and have ) spend time on the phone or in person, talking someone down off a ledge.

Of course, some folks plan to kill themselves, have terminal illnesses, have had this as a long term life plan and I can also respect that. I do not hold a moral position on suicide. Just that they might have changed their minds if they had had someone to talk with THAT night.

I do not know if there is a suicide hot line here in the DR. The international suicide page refers one to Befrienders and they have no one here in the country,.,,Member Search | Befrienders

but folks here on DR1 are far more likely to be able to know of someone in trouble and find help? or no?

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
Jesus, is there ever a good post/story on here? I guess people don't post that they shot a 90 at Guavaberry and went balls deep on a beautiful Eva Mendez lookalike (give or a take a few C-section scars) for chump change. Stay positive guys!!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Jesus, is there ever a good post/story on here? I guess people don't post that they shot a 90 at Guavaberry and went balls deep on a beautiful Eva Mendez lookalike (give or a take a few C-section scars) for chump change. Stay positive guys!!!!

ya see, that is the sort of response the guy sitting next to you at the bar is gonna get from you.. And so rather than actually listening to what may be on his mind, something that might be really important, you just shut him down with something like.. hey.. look on the bright side.. or hey, its all good.. or but the chicas are so cheap!!

The reality is that lots of folks come down here looking for love and find only sex. Find that they really are foreigners. Don't have enough money to live. Can't see any "face saving" way out of their situation.. I mean. they had TOLD everyone they were going to live in paradise, right?

Most of us who have been here more than a couple of years have had more than one trip to the Valley of Despond.

(and, one might ask why it is that you would come to a thread on someone's suicide expecting peppy news?)

wierdscott

Jan 28, 2012
ya see, that is the sort of response the guy sitting next to you at the bar is gonna get from you.. And so rather than actually listening to what may be on his mind, something that might be really important, you just shut him down with something like.. hey.. look on the bright side.. or hey, its all good.. or but the chicas are so cheap!!

The reality is that lots of folks come down here looking for love and find only sex. Find that they really are foreigners. Don't have enough money to live. Can't see any "face saving" way out of their situation.. I mean. they had TOLD everyone they were going to live in paradise, right?

Most of us who have been here more than a couple of years have had more than one trip to the Valley of Despond.

(and, one might ask why it is that you would come to a thread on someone's suicide expecting peppy news?)

One of the best posts I have seen.. in a while. Although based on some of your other posts, I cannot picture you sitting on a barstool... or conversing with others. But point taken. Like Walter White of Breaking Bad says "everyone ever born was born with a death sentence." That is the truth, the only detail are when or where. Grim Ripper visits us all one day...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
One of the best posts I have seen.. in a while. Although based on some of your other posts, I cannot picture you sitting on a barstool... or conversing with others. But point taken. Like Walter White of Breaking Bad says "everyone ever born was born with a death sentence." That is the truth, the only detail are when or where. Grim Ripper visits us all one day...

Ah, but see, as someone greeted me at a party here in SD, "you have all the glorious signs of a misspent youth!" .. pulese.. I have most certainly done more than my time on bar stools and lots and lots of conversing with others.