Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hiring a Maid and social security...

Hi,

I did not pay much attention to threads about maids until now. Now needing information I can't find it. So please forgive me if this is coming up again...

Question:

Do we have to pay into the TSS for a help coming 3 times a week to clean and wash and taking care for a kid sometimes on weekends?

Would there be liquidacion to be paid in case of?

How much is the going rate?

Thx
    Michael

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

As always, make sure to check the current labor laws because they were talking about trying to change things...
    For a maid, you pay them the agreed amount of money each month. If full-time, they work 6.5 days a week. They get two weeks of vacation time and they get the "13th Month" vacation pay, there is also something about being able to take time for education. The maid may try to tell you they are due liquidation, but as of now, you are not legally required. It is good to give them something for severance, just be fair.

My recommendation is to come to an agreement for the 3x per week for cleaning on a monthly or bi-weekly pay basis. And then just pay them to babysit on weekends as needed on a separate "pay as you go" basis.

Full-time maids tend to look for around 8000-12000 per month depending on how good they are. I am guessing that only 3x a week might be half that amount. Also, keep in mind that since they are not a "live in" maid, they will be looking for help with money for the moto to get back and forth to work...

3. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MJSantoDomingo View Post
    As always, make sure to check the current labor laws because they were talking about trying to change things...
    For a maid, you pay them the agreed amount of money each month. If full-time, they work 6.5 days a week. They get two weeks of vacation time and they get the "13th Month" vacation pay, there is also something about being able to take time for education. The maid may try to tell you they are due liquidation, but as of now, you are not legally required. It is good to give them something for severance, just be fair.

My recommendation is to come to an agreement for the 3x per week for cleaning on a monthly or bi-weekly pay basis. And then just pay them to babysit on weekends as needed on a separate "pay as you go" basis.

Full-time maids tend to look for around 8000-12000 per month depending on how good they are. I am guessing that only 3x a week might be half that amount. Also, keep in mind that since they are not a "live in" maid, they will be looking for help with money for the moto to get back and forth to work...
    Really? that is all it cost for a full time maid? Wow, i want to give one of them a work visa to come be my maid!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, though the amount would be for SDQ - out of SDQ the amount would be a lot less, remember they will be live in, including a room and board.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MerengueDutchie View Post
    Good advice, though the amount would be for SDQ - out of SDQ the amount would be a lot less, remember they will be live in, including a room and board.
    Very true - my rates were for Santo Domingo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExDR View Post
    Really? that is all it cost for a full time maid? Wow, i want to give one of them a work visa to come be my maid!
    That is all it costs in the DR, actually in SD... if being a maid would qualify them for a work visa outside the country (especially the US), then there would be a million dominicanas putting in for such work visas

8. Likes AnnaC, Conchman liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In my case that would be Higuey. But no live-in.

Very true - my rates were for Santo Domingo.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The rate depends. I do not know if you could get someone who will work 3 times a week for 1000 pesos a week.. or anything like that. The going rate for a day worker for inside the house was 700 a day six years ago.

Part time workers who live outside the house are MORE expensive. The ones who live in have no expenses since you provide room and board and electric, etc and they do not have to have a seperate home.

Transportation can run as much as 80 pesos one way. So 160 pesos.

So if you were paying the suggested rate.. even the high end. say half of 12000,, 6000 for 3 days a week or 12 days a month.. , that will be only 500 day minus carfare of 160 peso.. leaving 340 pesos or $8 for a full day's work.

You may find some cleaners who will work for that but not the best ones with the best references. (I am talking SD,, Campo prices may differ)

I pay 8000 a month for twice a week.. or rather 1000 pesos a day. That is considered top dollar.

For that, she does all the cleaning, laundry, ironing, changes sheets, cleans windows, does shopping and cooking if I ask her to and will come whenever I call her....

So you have your range there. Somewhere between those two figures of 500 to 1000... be sure that she has references. Also that she is not a "disrupter" in that you can still be in your house and function while she is there. She should not have to be told to do anything.. just be able to work on her own.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    The rate depends. I do not know if you could get someone who will work 3 times a week for 1000 pesos a week.. or anything like that. The going rate for a day worker for inside the house was 700 a day six years ago.

Part time workers who live outside the house are MORE expensive. The ones who live in have no expenses since you provide room and board and electric, etc and they do not have to have a seperate home.

Transportation can run as much as 80 pesos one way. So 160 pesos.

So if you were paying the suggested rate.. even the high end. say half of 12000,, 6000 for 3 days a week or 12 days a month.. , that will be only 500 day minus carfare of 160 peso.. leaving 340 pesos or $8 for a full day's work.

You may find some cleaners who will work for that but not the best ones with the best references. (I am talking SD,, Campo prices may differ)

I pay 8000 a month for twice a week.. or rather 1000 pesos a day. That is considered top dollar.

For that, she does all the cleaning, laundry, ironing, changes sheets, cleans windows, does shopping and cooking if I ask her to and will come whenever I call her....

So you have your range there. Somewhere between those two figures of 500 to 1000... be sure that she has references. Also that she is not a "disrupter" in that you can still be in your house and function while she is there. She should not have to be told to do anything.. just be able to work on her own.
    8K pesos a month for 2 days of work sounds like a lot to me.

I pay the lady which does everything you listed and more (since I have 2 kids), 500 pesos per day (3000 pesos a week), and every single Dominican told me that I am overpaying her (but I think it is fair since I am there for short amount of times).

In fact, I was once told by a Dominican that they will never hire someone who has worked for foreigners for these reasons: overpaid and even lazy.

12. Likes caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay 450/day in Cabrera....3 days/week..... not live in.... wife of the gardener

about normal... maybe a touch high.... so I'm told

He gets 550 / day

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast