Drug testing at immigration

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
Immigration has said that a drug showed up on my panel that i did not list and was not prescribed. I am really angry about this and think they switched urine cups or something. That place is nor organized. Now I have to take another three hour ride to Santo Domingo to retest. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not taking anything illegal and the only thing that I think would have showed up on the drug test was oxa-forte which I take for my migraines. A dr handed me a piece of paper with the name on it and I went to the pharmacy and got it. They took the paper. I have no proof the doctor told me to get it. Anyways- I guess I am going back for a retest and I am paranoid that they are gonna F*** that up too and I will test positive for cocaine or something.

Can anyone give any insight to the drug testing panel or what could have happened that they are pitching a fit over? I gave them a list of my prescriptions and what OTC meds I was taking. I am scared and ****ed off that they are doing this.

I guess I needed to vent and I am wondering if this is common.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I doubt anyone on our forum will know much about policies and procedures of immigration drug testing. They are not pitching a fit, you are, and unfortunately getting mad will not help. Go back to the Dr. get a new prescription and show it to them. Its the Dominican Republic and this sort of thing is the norm. You will get used to it or you will let it drive you nuts. Its your choice but you will not change anything, fix anything or teach anyone a lesson. Relax and be patient. As soon as you become angry you will make matters worse.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Easily could have been switched.... the samples

I have a friend whose skin sample got switched in Philadelphia..... they missed her cancer.
she almost lost her nose

could be worse........ have nice lunch in SD

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
I doubt anyone on our forum will know much about policies and procedures of immigration drug testing. They are not pitching a fit, you are, and unfortunately getting mad will not help. Go back to the Dr. get a new prescription and show it to them. Its the Dominican Republic and this sort of thing is the norm. You will get used to it or you will let it drive you nuts. Its your choice but you will not change anything, fix anything or teach anyone a lesson. Relax and be patient. As soon as you become angry you will make matters worse.

Do you know of another forum that would be a better place to put this post? I didn't know where else to go. And I am being accused of taking drugs so I am a little concerned as to how that is going to play out legally. If I end up in a Dominican jail I will be a little angry. I will try to be patient but I am not good at that. Thanks for your advice.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have never drug tested here. Do you sign the sample? Do you sign a sticker that is placed on the bottle? Do they let you do a split sample? Is there a number that is on a sticker that goes to your paper work and is on the bottle? If there is a tracking number on it do you get to keep a copy of that or can you take a picture of it ?

I know they might not take those precautions here but it is something to look at when you are there.

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
I have never drug tested here. Do you sign the sample? Do you sign a sticker that is placed on the bottle? Do they let you do a split sample? Is there a number that is on a sticker that goes to your paper work and is on the bottle? If there is a tracking number on it do you get to keep a copy of that or can you take a picture of it ?

I know they might not take those precautions here but it is something to look at when you are there.

There was none of that. It was pee in a cup and then it was thrown in a pile. I don't even know if my name was on it. No tracking number, I did not sign it. Nothing like the United States. It was ridiculously unorganized and frustrating.

Apr 13, 2011
I think the legal section is good for the OP's question. Because the advice may be to get legal counsel. I do not think it will be something that they would take you to jail because of the **** test, but they could reject your residency application...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There was none of that. It was pee in a cup and then it was thrown in a pile. I don't even know if my name was on it. No tracking number, I did not sign it. Nothing like the United States. It was ridiculously unorganized and frustrating.

These tests are randomly tested, not every sample is tested, I know as I know people who use drugs and have not had issue when it comes to the tests, even using right up to the test date. You would not be arrested even if your tests come up as positive for coke. I admit they are a bit relaxed in the testing office. I reckon they just have to call back a certain few, just to show they are refusing some, or at least actually checking them. You've just been an unlucky guinea pig, you'll be fine on the next one.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If I were you, I would go back to the doctor and get a note or a copy of the perscription for the Oxa Forte, since it is codeine and classed as an opiate and probably was what flagged your test.

And, just a tip from living here for 10 years.. Do not be angry or agressive or accusatory.. Wait until that is out of your system.. and until you can just go in with the attitude "mistakes were made"

Even better * if you have Spanish that is good enough .. or have a Dominican friend who can go with you

is to go in with

"excuse me. I am sorry. I probably did not fill out the form correctly. I am taking this medicine for a really horrible migraine headache condition. I think that it has codeine in it and must have somehow upset your drug test. I thought that I listed it as prescribed by a doctor, but perhaps I did not. Here is a copy now of his perscription. I went back and got another copy to show you.

They doctors at home say these headaches are caused by stress.

That is why I have come here to your beautiful country to live. To avoid the stress. I do not live in Santo Dominigo, but on your beautiful coast up North. It causes me some stress to come down to the City.

No, I understand perfectly why you need to take the test again. You are just doing your job and want to keep the country free from drug addicts. I am very grateful for that. Excuse me, could I get a glass of water?

And may I just sit for a minute?

Certainly, I will feel better in a bit and will be happy to give you another sample for testing. You will personally make sure that the prescribed medicine is noted on the test, won't you?

Thank you so much and have a wonderful afternoon."

Then go out and have a great lunch. I recommend Cappucino's on Maximo Gomez.

Then appreciate the scenery on the lovely bus ride back to the gorgeous coast.

Breathe. Smile

No point in observing that the place is disorganized.
Assume rather that it has an organizational system that you have not yet figured out.

After all, the place has been operational in some form since the 1500s.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I dumped tapatalk just so i could like this post. You are on a roll MA.

If I were you, I would go back to the doctor and get a note or a copy of the perscription for the Oxa Forte, since it is codeine and classed as an opiate and probably was what flagged your test.

And, just a tip from living here for 10 years.. Do not be angry or agressive or accusatory.. Wait until that is out of your system.. and until you can just go in with the attitude "mistakes were made"

Even better * if you have Spanish that is good enough .. or have a Dominican friend who can go with you

is to go in with

"excuse me. I am sorry. I probably did not fill out the form correctly. I am taking this medicine for a really horrible migraine headache condition. I think that it has codeine in it and must have somehow upset your drug test. I thought that I listed it as prescribed by a doctor, but perhaps I did not. Here is a copy now of his perscription. I went back and got another copy to show you.

They doctors at home say these headaches are caused by stress.

That is why I have come here to your beautiful country to live. To avoid the stress. I do not live in Santo Dominigo, but on your beautiful coast up North. It causes me some stress to come down to the City.

No, I understand perfectly why you need to take the test again. You are just doing your job and want to keep the country free from drug addicts. I am very grateful for that. Excuse me, could I get a glass of water?

And may I just sit for a minute?

Certainly, I will feel better in a bit and will be happy to give you another sample for testing. You will personally make sure that the prescribed medicine is noted on the test, won't you?

Thank you so much and have a wonderful afternoon."

Then go out and have a great lunch. I recommend Cappucino's on Maximo Gomez.

Then appreciate the scenery on the lovely bus ride back to the gorgeous coast.

Breathe. Smile

No point in observing that the place is disorganized.
Assume rather that it has an organizational system that you have not yet figured out.

After all, the place has been operational in some form since the 1500s.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
How did u find out ?? Did immigration call u ?? Or did u wait the 3 months, go back amd then they told u ??

I use a benzoate de rizatriptan based medcine for migraines...... I tried to explain it to the lady but of course I can hardly prononce it in french or english let alone spanish........ she just said " no te preoccupe"........
Well we will see........

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Pretend it could be your fault. Dress nice, act nice and play the game. Stay positive and everything will
work out (as it almost always does) in (our/ your) the gringos favor.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd hire a connected lawyer and let him/her carry the water.

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
These tests are randomly tested, not every sample is tested, I know as I know people who use drugs and have not had issue when it comes to the tests, even using right up to the test date. You would not be arrested even if your tests come up as positive for coke. I admit they are a bit relaxed in the testing office. I reckon they just have to call back a certain few, just to show they are refusing some, or at least actually checking them. You've just been an unlucky guinea pig, you'll be fine on the next one.

Are you serious? That is a little scary that they just randomly pick. Thank you for your info and I hope I am fine on the next one and not a heroin addict or something. :rolleyes: