Sosua River Cleanup

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News. But no date indicated.

The committee 'Pro-rescate del R?o Sos?a' has scheduled a cleanup for the river Sos?a.

The Sos?a river is highly polluted because the adjacent villages have their sewers flow into the river. Furthermore, the river is used by many residents as a garbage dump. The mouth of the river is more like a garbage dump. The committee is led by the commander of the fire department and the manager of the water company CORAPLATA. They appealed to the neighborhood associations and churches to call on their members to report for the cleaning action. The committee provides boats, bulldozer, trucks and shovels.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From today's Sosua News. But no date indicated.

The committee 'Pro-rescate del R?o Sos?a' has scheduled a cleanup for the river Sos?a.

The Sos?a river is highly polluted because the adjacent villages have their sewers flow into the river. Furthermore, the river is used by many residents as a garbage dump. The mouth of the river is more like a garbage dump. The committee is led by the commander of the fire department and the manager of the water company CORAPLATA. They appealed to the neighborhood associations and churches to call on their members to report for the cleaning action. The committee provides boats, bulldozer, trucks and shovels.

do they plan an education campaign to implore the slobs to refrain from throwing the flotsam and jetsam into the river the following day after the cleanup?

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
do they plan an education campaign to implore the slobs to refrain from throwing the flotsam and jetsam into the river the following day after the cleanup?

Thier grandma threw trash in the river as well as thier momma and thier brothers and sisters so you have three generations of no education on the matter without police enviornmental enforcement and fines it will never change

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I don't think you can get "upstream" far enough in any river here to feel safe swimming in it.

Bob K

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have seen people emerging from the river in Sabaneta with tooth brush in hand and a bar of soap.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans will be Dominicans but cleaning up the trash is a great idea. As soons as the planned marina is completed the whole area will be just fine.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Dominicans will be Dominicans but cleaning up the trash is a great idea. As soons as the planned marina is completed the whole area will be just fine.
Hahaha. That's a funny one!
I hope the D.R. would realize if they cleaned up the trash the country would benefit from the economy to quality of life.
Is is one area where I do think there is the possibility for real change.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have a friend who lives quite close to the river....they throw their used frying oil in on a regular basis.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have a friend who lives quite close to the river....they throw their used frying oil in on a regular basis.

Not to hijack the thread, but what does one do with used frying oil in the dr ????
Pour it down the drain ? Probably ends up in the river. ( or in my septic fosse but not many of them around.....).
Bottle it and throw it out in the trash? Same diffrence, open air dumps, seeps right back into water circuit......

And what do u guys do with plastic ???? Metal the "recycle/bottelleo compra cosa viera guys " wont by off u ??

Just wondering.....

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Not to hijack the thread, but what does one do with used frying oil in the dr ????
Pour it down the drain ? Probably ends up in the river. ( or in my septic fosse but not many of them around.....).
Bottle it and throw it out in the trash? Same diffrence, open air dumps, seeps right back into water circuit......

And what do u guys do with plastic ???? Metal the "recycle/bottelleo compra cosa viera guys " wont by off u ??

Just wondering.....

Never really thought about it that way. I guess it just looks worse when they toss it in the river and you see it pool away.

Interesting question.

What do people do with the oil in the North America? I never fried anything with more than a few tablespoons.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Just wondering.....

I can't speak for people in cities.... but our maid takes all the 'grasa' after cooking and feeds it to her pigs. She takes it with her in empty plastic bottles - like 2 ltr. soda bottles, etc., so we don't have many of those either! A lot of people in the campo burn their plastic, I hate when they do that because if the wind is right we get that disgusting scent.

redfish46

Dec 17, 2007
I can't speak for people in cities.... but our maid takes all the 'grasa' after cooking and feeds it to her pigs. She takes it with her in empty plastic bottles - like 2 ltr. soda bottles, etc., so we don't have many of those either! A lot of people in the campo burn their plastic, I hate when they do that because if the wind is right we get that disgusting scent.

You can put 1 quart in a gas or diesl engine with full tank of fuel it will lubricate injectors but have to strain it first so clear of particles

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Never really thought about it that way. I guess it just looks worse when they toss it in the river and you see it pool away.

Interesting question.

What do people do with the oil in the North America? I never fried anything with more than a few tablespoons.

In france/ switzerland u take to a recycling center or pour it down the drain ( thankfully the water is treated ). Restaurants pay for pick upsand disposal.

I just wondered about here, I was brought up by recycling maniacs...... everything had its seperate bin, so kind of natural for me.
But here.........
I had to brake up a huge slab of ciment repairing the pool....... take it to the open air dump they toldme at local ayunamento...... I actually feel guilty....

malko

Jan 12, 2013

I too use the used oil for dogs / pigs...... gallon jugs I use as water containers for the chickens...... used to be a local HIV infected guy who would take them god-knows-where to payfor his medcine.......
But plastic bottles ?? ( ie sodas and such ). And other plastics ??
Glass bottles we sell, but they refuse wine bottles for some unkown reason.....
Metal we sell as well, but the guy now doesnt take tins...... I use at least one a day for the dog food...... so a lot of tins.....
We compost a lot too,but have to burn vegetationfrom time to time ( no plastic, I hate that too....)

I just hate seeing open air dumps full of crap..... and was wondering if people know of any recycling centers..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is some recycling done in DR but not sure it would make a difference to you. two companies in SD recycle glass, any glass, but on industrial level. they fill the container and export them. there is a metal recycling company (metaldom, i think) that export metal/scraps. there are companies that recycle plastic, including plastic bottles. POP has two of those, somewhere close to munoz and close to costambar.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
there is a effort in the u.s. about waste oil...cooking oil/grease etc...big underlying problem...grease oil fats something like that but not that..one thing is the local authority does not want your oil in the sewer system...
me, i think of free diesel fuel... all oils burn...just has to be clean and heated.... i also check the color of the oil at the big pig cookout place on the highway...black i move on...but it is what you are used to...