Galaxy Note 3. Bad imei.

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
I bought Note 3 off of craigslist and it turns out it has bad imei. I tried to contact the seller but he can't be reached. ****er drover BMW too and everything seems ok at the moment. But I went to AT&T store and they won't activate it. I am in DR now but can I bring it down to DR next time and use it?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I bought Note 3 off of craigslist and it turns out it has bad imei. I tried to contact the seller but he can't be reached. ****er drover BMW too and everything seems ok at the moment. But I went to AT&T store and they won't activate it. I am in DR now but can I bring it down to DR next time and use it?

Stolen most likely!

Don't bring it unless you check the IMEI here:

ESN / IMEI / MEID Check (Free) > Swappa

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
it will work in DR. do bring it here and make sure its sim unlocked. I think you can get it sim unlocked through a code (bought from ebay) even if the phone is blacklisted. I have a phone which got its imei erased by mistake. the imei shows 00000000000000
. it still works on claro and orange network. so its obvious Dr doesn't check for IMEI on their network to see if its blacklisted or not. you maybe able to sell it here for a good price. if you tell me what version of android you have on it, I maybe able to tell you more about your phone. I have a ATT note 3. The phone is perfect and a monster.
AZB

P.S. if you like, I can convert that phone in to note 3 international version. this will erase all the ATT crap and make the rom very light and super-fast. now you will be able to use that phone on any network without having any ATT software popping up or slowing down your phone.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
many times people will sell their phones on craigslist and then call their phone company and list the phone as stolen or lost. then they get a new phone through insurance plan. the buyer of the phone gets screwed. i bought my phone from a guy who met me in a ATT store. we made sure the esn was clean. in any case, I didn't care if the phone was blacklisted or not because I was going to use it on claro, dominiana in dominican republic. paid 25 dollars to get the code (ebay) to get the phone unlocked. if the phone is still on android 4.1.1 then the phone can be unlocked free via patching the modem. In your case, you will certainly have the phone on 4.4.2 (NC2) or MJ5 (bootloader). this will make the modem impossible to patch or get the software to be down graded. your best bet is to contact ebay and buy a code for your phone based on your IMEI number.
then if you come to santo domingo, come visit me and I will make that phone from good to perfect and turn it, into international version. then you will not settle for any other phone.
AZB

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
many times people will sell their phones on craigslist and then call their phone company and list the phone as stolen or lost. then they get a new phone through insurance plan. the buyer of the phone gets screwed. i bought my phone from a guy who met me in a ATT store. we made sure the esn was clean. in any case, I didn't care if the phone was blacklisted or not because I was going to use it on claro, dominiana in dominican republic. paid 25 dollars to get the code (ebay) to get the phone unlocked. if the phone is still on android 4.1.1 then the phone can be unlocked free via patching the modem. In your case, you will certainly have the phone on 4.4.2 (NC2) or MJ5 (bootloader). this will make the modem impossible to patch or get the software to be down graded. your best bet is to contact ebay and buy a code for your phone based on your IMEI number.
then if you come to santo domingo, come visit me and I will make that phone from good to perfect and turn it, into international version. then you will not settle for any other phone.
AZB

This is why I am thinking about switching to Swappa. I've heard similar stories on Swappa and Ebay but not as many. The only negative side of swappa is Paypal Account (I no longer have and don't want to have one) and haggling for lower price seldom works. And I don't know if many have noticed some of the ebay listing with buy now options seems too expensive and I don't have time and energy to watch auctions.

When I go back I am going to try local stores first. Not Best Buy or AT&T stores but stores like Microcenter, Tiger Direct or some of the big local stores. Sometimes have very good deals on smart phones but qty is limited and it's usally in store only.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
it will work in DR. do bring it here and make sure its sim unlocked. I think you can get it sim unlocked through a code (bought from ebay) even if the phone is blacklisted. I have a phone which got its imei erased by mistake. the imei shows 00000000000000
. it still works on claro and orange network. so its obvious Dr doesn't check for IMEI on their network to see if its blacklisted or not. you maybe able to sell it here for a good price. if you tell me what version of android you have on it, I maybe able to tell you more about your phone. I have a ATT note 3. The phone is perfect and a monster.
AZB

P.S. if you like, I can convert that phone in to note 3 international version. this will erase all the ATT crap and make the rom very light and super-fast. now you will be able to use that phone on any network without having any ATT software popping up or slowing down your phone.

AZB the DR is making big strides to halt the market of stolen/hot cell devices. Even as of today you can still find ways to get it to work, but once it becomes involved in anything legal, the person will be looking at serious police trouble.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
AZB the DR is making big strides to halt the market of stolen/hot cell devices. Even as of today you can still find ways to get it to work, but once it becomes involved in anything legal, the person will be looking at serious police trouble.

Ya, for phones bought and activated in the DR. RD2000 gets most phones from the USA up and running in the DR. This crack down will only up the price of doing business. I am sure all those Claro and Orange shops in the new malls in La Capital will follow the law but a few pesos go a long way in Moca, LaVega ect...... at the little private shops.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Prohibition does not work. It simply increases the price making it more profitable for those doing the work.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If there is a peso to be made some Dom is in the business. Illegal is a sick bird down here and we all know it.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

maybe so but they are doing little to stop blacklisted phones in american carriers to work in DR. maybe if a claro, orange etc phone is listed stolen, they maybe able to blacklist it but if a black listed phone from other countries is brought here, then it will work. actually they are even letting domestic stolen phones to work in DR because so many stolen phones are being sold everyday in DR yet no phone buyer has been busted. Now if you take a stolen phone to claro for service and they check it out to be stolen and blacklisted then you may get into trouble. this is only if you take it for warranty work to be done on the phone. Example: i bought my 1st galaxy note 1 phone in DR from a mama-papa phone store in santo domingo in a mall. I had the receipt and the box and all. then when my phone got damaged, I was told to contact claro. I went there to get my phone serviced because it was new, but instead I was confronted by manager because the phone was listed as "not for resale" because it was sold to someone else who didn't pay claro the full price or whatever. I showed them my receipts and all but even then I was looking at some legal problems. then my friends at claro helped me out because they knew who sold me the phone and where I bought it from. in short, my phone was given back to be without repair and I was told to not seek any more warranty services from claro.
So pichardo is right to some extent but it may only apply to phones blacklisted here from local phone company.
AZB

vbrookie

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for offer AZB.
When I return I have one of my office geek look at the phone first save me some trouble. Meanwhile I am still trying to contact the seller but I don't see this going anywhere.

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
you just lost all your money there buddy why did did not bring sim card test it on the spot ???? don't get it

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you just lost all your money there buddy why did did not bring sim card test it on the spot ???? don't get it

Not foolproof either - sometimes they sell it to you, it works, but then an hour later they report it stolen to their carrier and that's the end of the phone.