New Scooter Sales - Where to look

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Until I get around to figuring out if I really want to buy a car/jeep/truck, I'd like to get a scooter for quickie grocery runs and errands around town.

I would prefer to purchase new and would prefer a Yamaha Zuma (BWS in the DR). I've tried the google route but haven't had much luck. I don't want to import anything from the US. Who are the major players in the new scooter market on the north coast and where can they be found?

Thx in advance.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
if you wound up in RSJ... check out Gaspar Hernandez and Nagua

everybody from Cabrera seems to go to Nagua to buy scooters.... altho there are 2 -3 places in Cabrera.

the Zuma may be tough.... wait until somebody more knowledgeable chimes in

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
There is a scooter place in Sosua Abajo on the main highway as one is starting to climb the hill out of town (towards airport), I think they have Loncin and possibly Yamaha also. Get a price from there at least. Pappaterra also used to have scooters.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
bear in mind that the Japanese scooters are generally imported used from Japan, not new.

Correct. Otherwise the price would be so high nobody would purchase one. They are remarkably good at keeping ones that were trashed in Japan working here.

And most of the others are made by one or two mainland Chinese companies.

I don't know if there are any Taiwanese scooter imports, which are reported to be in between Chinese and Japanese in quality.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I plan to make a day of it. I'll visit all the players then go back and make the best deal I can for the best available solution I can find.

Thx for the info.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Correct. Otherwise the price would be so high nobody would purchase one. They are remarkably good at keeping ones that were trashed in Japan working here.

And most of the others are made by one or two mainland Chinese companies.

I don't know if there are any Taiwanese scooter imports, which are reported to be in between Chinese and Japanese in quality.
Almost EVERY single-cylinder two-wheeled vehicle under 300cc is made in China, NOT Japan. I doubt many scooters are made in Japan anymore. And the manufacture of even more larger bikes are being made in China more and more...and the trend will continue.

So when someone refers to a "Japanese" bike, they refer to the brand and NOT where it was built.

The cost of production of Japan makes production there uncompetitive. Additionally, the build quality of Chinese brands has evolved enormously in the last 3+ years.

Today I would not hesitate to buy many Chinese brands. One in particular deserves solid consideration: Zongshen. They make excellent motorcycles. Their 250cc RX-3 will dominate small ADV bikes within just a few years: Delphi FI, spoke wheels, solid suspension, inverted forks, great ergos, 25hp, full instrumentation, panniers, leather seat, 6sp. tranny with wet clutch, 8.25" ground clearance, 385 lbs., can carry a 350lb. load, 31" seat ht., LED lighting...an impressive list. I'm considering buying several for rentals.

_I8A2853_0.jpg

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We have a chinese made moped we paid 47,000 pesos for in Puerto Plata. It has been fine for a year and 1/2 or so. I think part of it depends on how far and how fast you plan on going and how often two on the moped. Ours seems fine for short trips and around town.

The "PGO" seems to be popular with people who spend more money. I think it cost 80,000 to 90,000 pesos.

Of course the old Honda Supercubs are a workhorse and hold their value. There is a video of some guys trying to break a super cub and it just keeps going.

Red Motors is easy to find from the main road. If you are going towards cofresi it is on your left. There is another really big dealership close to cofresi on your right.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
texan,

Any idea of the name of that second dealership?

I would have to look for the name. It has a big area inside and you do not see much from the street. They have a lot of bikes the moto taxis drive and also a lot of honda super cubs from Japan. They have some dirt bikes, quads, buggy, etc.

I put notes in my phone from april 08, 2014. I didn't price mopeds that day but these were the prices for a buggy, dirt bikes, street bikes and 4wheelers. It seems like the majority or chinese made or the honda super cubs imported from Japan. Where we bought our moped it is all chinese made mopeds, motorcycles and one dirt bike.

Our moped will bottom out on speed bumps and some of the bad spots in the road in our area. I think a larger moped would handle the bad spots on the road a little better.

dune buggy 205,000 pesos

yamaha DT 125 195,000 pesos

China 200 off road kee way 89,000 pesos

Yamaha FZ 160cc 145,000 pesos

Apache 160 cc 79,000 pesos street bike

apache 180 cc 88,000 pesos street bike

yamaha grizzly 350 cc 400,025 pesos

Loncin 4wheeler 250 cc 165,000

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I would have to look for the name. It has a big area inside and you do not see much from the street. They have a lot of bikes the moto taxis drive and also a lot of honda super cubs from Japan. They have some dirt bikes, quads, buggy, etc.

I put notes in my phone from april 08, 2014. I didn't price mopeds that day but these were the prices for a buggy, dirt bikes, street bikes and 4wheelers. It seems like the majority or chinese made or the honda super cubs imported from Japan. Where we bought our moped it is all chinese made mopeds, motorcycles and one dirt bike.

Our moped will bottom out on speed bumps and some of the bad spots in the road in our area. I think a larger moped would handle the bad spots on the road a little better.

dune buggy 205,000 pesos

yamaha DT 125 195,000 pesos

China 200 off road kee way 89,000 pesos

Yamaha FZ 160cc 145,000 pesos

Apache 160 cc 79,000 pesos street bike

apache 180 cc 88,000 pesos street bike

yamaha grizzly 350 cc 400,025 pesos

Loncin 4wheeler 250 cc 165,000
KeeWays are actually engineered be Benelli, an Italian brand moto-nuts know. I have ridden a KeeWay and was impressed with the build quality and performance.

Apache is made by TVS, an old-line Indian brand.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A video of the Keeway

[video=youtube;j2GLIBdwtVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2GLIBdwtVs[/video]

Apache is made by TVS, an old-line Indian brand.

India making an Apache. I bet they get the humor in that.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
India making an Apache. I bet they get the humor in that.
LOL...I never thought about that...

Zongshen RX-3 promo video:

[video=youtube;FFmxZj02nok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFmxZj02nok[/video]

I suspect it would cost around RD$220,000 or so...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Sousa Abajo one is usually have a good stock (not sure about Yamaha Zuma), but has PGO (about 100k+, just as good, but only one rare shock absorber, I prefer the ones with two), Loncin (150cc not bad if you look after it, 125cc is newer technology but more expensive) and the Indian TVS pasola (weak engines 90cc, 110cc).

Papaterra had some Yamaha a couple of months ago, can't remember if it still has them or not, definitely check there.

Also there is a shop at the beginning of Puerto Plata (on the left as you go from Sosua, before the road split to the malecon). They are the main dealership of a Chinese make bike (only sell that type with good warranty) - can't remember the name unfortunately. When I was looking last year their 150cc was really well built and some interesting features, like disk breaks on both wheels - not common on pasolas). Price was accordingly high for that 150cc, their 125cc was cheaper but did't have all the advance features.

If you find a new Yamaha Zuma (BWS) you will pay the high price for it (I think about 150k) but I guess it is a good bike and worth it - saying that I know a guy who has one (fairly old one though) and has the engine blown twice. To be fair, I must say, he is over 250 pounds and usually picks up one or two passengers ... !? lol

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Uzin,

Where is Papaterra?

One in Gaspar Hernandez as you enter the main street on the right coming from from Cabarete/Islabon and one one in Sosua before you reach the first traffic light coming from Cabarete.

Large modern building on the left side of the main highway.