PLAYERO Sosua: RipOff warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
This is the 3rd time this has happened at the Playero Super Market in Sosua (main road):
Foreing beer packaged in 6 or 12 pacs in plain view with big signs...
When you break it down in single bottles it's more expensive than buying single bottles from the cooler row!
Today's special: BitBurger 0% six pack... over RD$500... while single bottles are less than RD$60.oo (6xRD$60 are still RD$ 360.oo weather it's in the DR or not!).

I call the attention: blah, blah... eto eh el precio y sino TIENE que buscarlas una por una.
I demand to see the "jefe": I get to talk to the next "nobody"... "Nooo, que eto eh asi, eh lo mismo! "
I tell them, there is a pattern and they are ripping off people on purpose: Security Gorillas come closer.
I tell them I'm going to make this public they shrug... I tell them I'll post it on FaceBook, the Gorillas now really give me the looks and the nobody's try to appease me now, that they will fix it. Ha! Really?

If that's how they plan to hold up against the new competition (POLA)... well, they ought to go visit Tropical in Puerto Plata. They didn't get it either.

In any event. Whether it's Playero or any other store in the DR, when it comes to multi-packs... DO YOUR MATH because either they didn't do it or they count on the buyers not to do it.

... J-D.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Even in la sirena and national it is the same...... sometimes u wonder of the sanity of the management......

In europe u have the price of the product and the price by Liter or Kilogramme....... it would be great here in the dr..... because between lb, oz, g.... I am lost......

Last time in national, tinned dog food. Normal price 80 pesos. Offerta 60 pesos. At the till,goes through at 80. Excuse me ma'm...... send someone to check, call supervisor, plays with the till....... comes out at 65 pesos...... show them picture on my phone of the BIG offerta on yellow fluo paper stuck on the shelf...... oh sorry sir... and they really seemed sorry, kind of makes u wonder how they are still in buisness.......

May 5, 2007
It could be a promotion from distributor. Often (In US) you find really "odd" deals where "boxed" items are cheaper due to promos, like Coke will often sell 4 12 paks of cans for $10.00 or approx. .25 per can but if you break open the carton they charge .60-.70 per can and God help you if you want a cold one from cooler

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Is it law that the have to sell to you at advertised shelve price? I used to think this was the case in the UK, but have recently been proven wrong (I'm sure it was the law 10 year or so ago) it isn't, they can display one price and charge another at checkout, quite legally.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
all the time this happens..

wine.... say 400 pesos for 750ml..... double bottle is 900

who cares ????
buy the economical way - or ask for a price change....

try it... it works

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
all the time this happens..

wine.... say 400 pesos for 750ml..... double bottle is 900

who cares ????
buy the economical way - or ask for a price change....

try it... it works

I actually prefer smaller portions ( ie 2 small ketchups vs 1 big one ), so all the better for me here in the dr, economicaly......
But it just seems a waste of packaging........

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
maybe they are charging everyone for the convenience of buying 6 at a time... u can carry two 6 packs or maybe 4-5 bottles at once... oops you drop it u pay...

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I've never seen a Dom buy a 6 pack, maybe they aren't sure what it is and so didn't consider the math.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and have you noticed they like to keep their glass full . especially when they are on the arm... and maybe thats why they dont buy 6 packs huh...

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
If I freaked out about every little thing that happened me like that, I would have moved out of the DR within the first 30 days lol.. Been here 5 years now and learn how to roll with the punches.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think that this is something that all shops do. I frequently see deals like this in the UK, especially for things like dishwasher tablets where they have a big display and the price is supposed to be special, but if you can be bothered to go to the shelves and hunt for a smaller pack, it works out cheaper. Jumbo and Cuesta also do this quite a lot. IKEA are masters at it.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
That's capitalism for you.
It is based on the premise that there is a sucker born every minute.
When you get right down to it....
We are all suckers. :cross-eye

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Very common throughout the island. I always ask for a receipt. I used to just bring it to the clerks attention like I
would back home but that didn't seem to work very well. They (the cashier) would often pretend they no longer understood
Spanish. This would usually amuse everyone standing in line (except me) so one day I asked one of my Dominican friends
how I should handle this problem should it mysteriously happen again?

He told me just stand in line at the register and remain calm.
Pretend you just don't have enough money to cover the bill and politely ask if the there's a discount for buying so many
of the same item at the same time. Problem solved.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
This is the 3rd time this has happened at the Playero Super Market in Sosua (main road):
Foreing beer packaged in 6 or 12 pacs in plain view with big signs...
When you break it down in single bottles it's more expensive than buying single bottles from the cooler row!
Today's special: BitBurger 0% six pack... over RD$500... while single bottles are less than RD$60.oo (6xRD$60 are still RD$ 360.oo weather it's in the DR or not!).

I call the attention: blah, blah... eto eh el precio y sino TIENE que buscarlas una por una.
I demand to see the "jefe": I get to talk to the next "nobody"... "Nooo, que eto eh asi, eh lo mismo! "
I tell them, there is a pattern and they are ripping off people on purpose: Security Gorillas come closer.
I tell them I'm going to make this public they shrug... I tell them I'll post it on FaceBook, the Gorillas now really give me the looks and the nobody's try to appease me now, that they will fix it. Ha! Really?

If that's how they plan to hold up against the new competition (POLA)... well, they ought to go visit Tropical in Puerto Plata. They didn't get it either.

In any event. Whether it's Playero or any other store in the DR, when it comes to multi-packs... DO YOUR MATH because either they didn't do it or they count on the buyers not to do it.

... J-D.

Could it be that you are just a bit verklemmt?
Just buy six single bottles, you already figured it out!
Is'a a special because six bottles are packaged together, for your convenience.:mad:
Enjoy your Bitburger one at a time, breathe..... in die Nase aus den Mund.:classic:

P.S. Being so uptight defeats the purpose of being in the DR, how is the Facebook campaign going???

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Last time in national, tinned dog food. Normal price 80 pesos. Offerta 60 pesos. At the till,goes through at 80. Excuse me ma'm...... send someone to check, call supervisor, plays with the till....... comes out at 65 pesos...... show them picture on my phone of the BIG offerta on yellow fluo paper stuck on the shelf...... oh sorry sir... and they really seemed sorry, kind of makes u wonder how they are still in buisness.......

That happens ALL the time at Nacional when I grab things on oferta and the price at the cashier is much higher.

Very good idea to take photos of the oferta signs with your phone, so you don't have to wait half an hour while they get someone to verify the price.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
where's the rip off.. just take 6 single bottles.

It's not that they are trying to outsmart the client, it's that they didn't notice or realize.

Don't make a fool of yourself getting upset because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.