thin cattle

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
A lighthearted thought...

I was asked a question about DR yesterday that led to a pretty good laugh. "Considering that the DR is covered with an abundance of grasses almost everywhere, why are there so many cows that appear somewhat malnourished and frail?" hmmmm.

A USA farmer explained to me that many grasses don't have nutritional value, and that many farmers also supplement their animals' diet with whole grain and salt, as well as treating them regularly for parasites. but it still remains difficult to imagine how the tropical climate could produce so much beautiful grass and plant life, but fail to provide the necessary nutrient supply in it for the animals that feed on it.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
It's funny, I have some neighbors that raise US style beef in Sabaneta and they say for the price it cost them to raise them US style, they could actually import beef from the US cheaper.. I guess they do it more as a hobby and to say they have their own very high quality meat produced here in the DR. I think they said they had to add a lot of grain and soy or something to get them to be high quality.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's funny, I have some neighbors that raise US style beef in Sabaneta and they say for the price it cost them to raise them US style, they could actually import beef from the US cheaper.. I guess they do it more as a hobby and to say they have their own very high quality meat produced here in the DR. I think they said they had to add a lot of grain and soy or something to get them to be high quality.

They must be doing this:

[video=youtube;VSU5Iu9Z9qI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSU5Iu9Z9qI[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"tropical climate" of DR is overrated. lots of the grass you see is not enough to nourish the cattle, especially now, with the drought. in europe animals would also receive grains, corn, hay and various other supplements. and the breed of cows that is popular here is different than the one i know from europe (bones are more pronounced), same with horses (smaller and thinner).

Aug 6, 2006
The classic breed of cattle to raise in the tropics are the Brahma cattle that are raised in Venezuela and Brazil to grind up and sell as Mickeyburgers.

I admit that I have no real knowledge of Dominican cattle, except I am not fond of beef overcooked with too damn much tomato sauce.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The cattle are fine, just a different breed (I believe originated from Africa) than what we are used to seeing in our comfort lives. These particular African breeds are bred in countries where care is more scarce as they are very resilient to infection/illness. And the cows we are used to seeing apart from dairy cows are fed steroids for obvious reasons. It is the cows we see in our comfort lives that are usually abnormal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wonder how Texas Longhorns would do here ??

self sufficient, hardy, not domesticated, throw their own calves (no human assistance) only in good weather , like a bison

check out my friend at Home

I want him to test the RD market...

he speaks all over Canada and the USA about this...

May 29, 2006
I think the early economy of the DR had cattle as an important commodity, esp up in the hills.

Cattle and other livestock need to be managed to get the most out of where they graze. You move them from lot to lot for about three days at a time so they eat everything down to the ground. Too short of a time on a patch and they only eat the plants they like and the weeds take over. Too long of a time and they end up killing everything.

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
A lighthearted thought...

I was asked a question about DR yesterday that led to a pretty good laugh. "Considering that the DR is covered with an abundance of grasses almost everywhere, why are there so many cows that appear somewhat malnourished and frail?" hmmmm.

A USA farmer explained to me that many grasses don't have nutritional value, and that many farmers also supplement their animals' diet with whole grain and salt, as well as treating them regularly for parasites. but it still remains difficult to imagine how the tropical climate could produce so much beautiful grass and plant life, but fail to provide the necessary nutrient supply in it for the animals that feed on it.

My dad is a rancher and when he came to visit I asked him this very question. I was so confused as to why all these cows ribs were showing when there was so much greenery around. He explained it to me like the farmer did. I should have known, being a ranchers daughter but I didn't. It is really weird to see the thin cattle here, though.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Many people raise cows and they dont even own one square meter of land.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Most of the animals your seeing are what you would call free range cattle, in other words no care no maintenance. turn them loose in the morning, and collect them at night maybe. If you want to see better cattle here, go to the fair grounds in santo domingo, when they are having one of the livestock shows. Have been to some of the larger ranches here and an the cattle are a lot different than what you see wondering the road.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most of the animals your seeing are what you would call free range cattle, in other words no care no maintenance. turn them loose in the morning, and collect them at night maybe. If you want to see better cattle here, go to the fair grounds in santo domingo, when they are having one of the livestock shows. Have been to some of the larger ranches here and an the cattle are a lot different than what you see wondering the road.

We go to that fair every year, amazing array of animals, even this city girl enjoys it. If anyone is interested, it's usually in February.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Free range cattle in the DR are prime. Basically fat free and tasty as Kobe.
Try CARNE&CO at the southern end of August Lara street in SD.
They also make terrines, pates and relishes.
Super gourmet.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Free range cattle in the DR are prime. Basically fat free and tasty as Kobe.
Try CARNE&CO at the southern end of August Lara street in SD.
They also make terrines, pates and relishes.
Super gourmet.

You have to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
there is no way a Brahman Cow would ever rival Kobe beef. And there is noooooo way kobe is close to free range and fat free.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSU5Iu9Z9qI Kobe is very marbled which means lots of fat for flavor. You trim the outside fat off but the marbling remains

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
We go to that fair every year, amazing array of animals, even this city girl enjoys it. If anyone is interested, it's usually in February.

They just had a show in Higuey (the DR Capital of Stockbreeding - Wikipedia). For the uninitiated, it's a fun education.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Granted, "tasty as Kobe" was hyperbole. But try Carne&Co products of local free range beef.
My $150 a plate Kobe in Kyoto years ago was heavenly, but a $10 plate at Carne&Co can be close.