Do Dogs Really Make a Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am looking to rent a house a little bit off of the beaten path than where I live now - its in Sosua on the other side of the Hwy across from/near fresh fresh.

I feel pretty safe where I live now because there is so much traffic. I am thinking to move because it is a whole big house for the same rent.

The house is close to a lot of other houses, businesses and maybe 2 blocks from the main highway - but not like in a barrio - there is some land in between houses.

What I observed: most of the neighbours have high fences and some have dogs... not really that looked like security dogs though.

My house would not be fenced and this is not in a gated community with security. My house is fully barred (windows and doors - not the patio though).

My boyfriend is Dominican and thinks the house is perfectly safe but I am nervous about night time - and if I am home alone during day time hours.

I was thinking to get a couple of large dogs to protect the house. I would want them to live inside with me - not be outside leaving me having to go outside to check if something is wrong. I would rather that they are in the house so that if someone got in, I would have some security.

My question is - to those who live in DR, do you think the dogs make a difference?

I have read of many an instance where people are shot in their homes and have dogs.

I would like to know if the effort of obtaining, training and maintaining a couple of dogs is worth it for security?

100% it is worth getting dogs! We have 6 and NO ONE wants to come on our property, have a huge wall, sharded glass on top, cameras, to get into our doors and windows it's 3 things you must get by, door/windows, bars then another set of windows/doors... Leave my doors open most of the night etc go out at all times of night to swim. People are absolutely terrified to come in our home with the dogs we have! 3 rotties, 1 pit and 2 chi's. The chi's are the best watch guards ever!

We don't have a guard most of the time but the next door guards do seem to keep an eye on our place as well?!

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I was thinking of a cameras too. At least if someone shoots me you can all watch it on Youtube j/k... kind of...

On the dog thing - I have an opportunity for 2 rotti puppies. Harley did you find them easy to train?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Pups are not going to be good guard dogs. Go and get a dog from rescue that has had a sh1t time of it and will love you to death for giving it a nice loving home. No dog will guard you better than a grateful one. Doesn't matter what breed, breeds are for people who care what their dog looks like, not who it is. I personally like the ugliest most Xed and unlikely to ever find a new home kinda dogs, but that is me being selfish, I get great personal reward from helping the underdogs!

I was thinking of a cameras too. At least if someone shoots me you can all watch it on Youtube j/k... kind of...

On the dog thing - I have an opportunity for 2 rotti puppies. Harley did you find them easy to train?

Ok cameras too are a must!! I watch my house, dogs, etc when I am not on the property, pretty much i just like to see what the dogs do :) We have 12 cams ( I am a psycho will not get robbed kinda of person so do anything possible not be ****ed around!
Cjewell get cam s as well. I like to know what goes on at night when i am in bed and when i am not in the house.

We rescued 5 dogs at once and it has been hard to train but be are getting there. Our mistake was to get 6 dogs that had major problems to deal with when i was deppressed.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
@cjewell, the answer is a definite YES.
Rotties are great ( I have one ) , but living indoors with u....... I think not. Put a fence up.

Any big dog will scare dominicans....... it is a cultral thing I think....... I have a half huskie who would rather lick u to death than bite u...... but people are scared anyway.....

And of course dogs are GREAT company !!!!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I thought of that too. The dog I loved the most of the dogs I have had was a rescue and the bond was like no other. There are so many strays walking around that could use a good home. Funny too because he was 4 when we got him (so the vet thought) and fully/easily trainable.

Pups are not going to be good guard dogs. Go and get a dog from rescue that has had a sh1t time of it and will love you to death for giving it a nice loving home. No dog will guard you better than a grateful one. Doesn't matter what breed, breeds are for people who care what their dog looks like, not who it is. I personally like the ugliest most Xed and unlikely to ever find a new home kinda dogs, but that is me being selfish, I get great personal reward from helping the underdogs!

Aug 6, 2006
Dogs are great company. But they do have some drawbacks.

I think a recording of some large slobbering major canines like mastiffs or Dobies, linked to a motion detector, could serve as an excellent deterrent, should you find it difficult to feed, bathe and dispose of the poo of actual real dogs.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Why not have 'em in the house? Not in the bed but with their own beds inside?

@cjewell, the answer is a definite YES.
Rotties are great ( I have one ) , but living indoors with u....... I think not. Put a fence up.

Any big dog will scare dominicans....... it is a cultral thing I think....... I have a half huskie who would rather lick u to death than bite u...... but people are scared anyway.....

And of course dogs are GREAT company !!!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Chihuahuas First

1. I find cameras and bars quite useless. Dominicans do not leave their house alone, that's what we have taken to as well.
2. Chihuahuas are our first line of defense, our early warning system INSIDE the house. They hear everything and warn...
3....the GSDs OUTSIDE and then all of them warn...
4. ...us INSIDE (you never go outside to investigate!) so we can pump the Remington 12 gauge with 00 buck shot...

So far, so good.

donP

We usually have our dogs inside bc i want them protected inside with us! Sometimes 2 have to go outside bc they get too hot. With my dogs in our house i feel way more than protected. I could never live here without MAJOR theft devices! I am a paranoid freak who stays up late to protect us!

malko

Jan 12, 2013

Well my rottie is a big big dog. No idea but probably over 60 kg......he would wreck everything without meaninig too !!!!
Then there is dirt, hair, bathroom.........

I am no expert on dogs, maybe mine are just used to the outdoors and loads of space........ they run, jump, fight, roll themselves in the dirt..... all day long.

I bring in one dog at night, sleeps in front of the door of my room in the corridor ( barred at the end....), second line of defense..... I leave the other 3 outside ( my wife's "poloche" doesnt count !!!:D ).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
good dogs don't sleep..... they work guarding........ all night, loose on the property

2 big ones and one in training here in Canada now.... American Bandogge

they stay outside to do their work///..... little dogs inside

not one bar on my house ... all doors open, all the time

Jewell..... who looks after these animals when you're away??

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
All very good points...

Well my rottie is a big big dog. No idea but probably over 60 kg......he would wreck everything without meaninig too !!!!
Then there is dirt, hair, bathroom.........

I am no expert on dogs, maybe mine are just used to the outdoors and loads of space........ they run, jump, fight, roll themselves in the dirt..... all day long.

I bring in one dog at night, sleeps in front of the door of my room in the corridor ( barred at the end....), second line of defense..... I leave the other 3 outside ( my wife's "poloche" doesnt count !!!:D ).

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
My guy.

good dogs don't sleep..... they work guarding........ all night, loose on the property

2 big ones and one in training here in Canada now.... American Bandogge

they stay outside to do their work///..... little dogs inside

not one bar on my house ... all doors open, all the time

Jewell..... who looks after these animals when you're away??

May 5, 2007
Any dog that is alert and makes noise when a stranger comes around is a good "guard" dog. Most burglars are not going to challenge and find out if your dog will actually bite or not, the noise is a deterrent and burglars are opportunist who prefer a nice quiet dog less house

If you are concerned with the burglars 'knowing" what kind of dog you have, borrow some dog turds from a friend who has a large dog, mix some torn pieces of cloth and bone with it and leave displayed prominently on your front property:)

malko

Jan 12, 2013
As an afterthought........ having a pack of dogs has made me more complacent (??).

Not good. Do apply normal security mesures even if u have the most vicious dogs kown to man....
Nothing radical. Bars on doors and windows is good. Lock doors. Keep a firearm at home, if u feel comfy about it.
In the unlikely ( please notice...) event someone is determined to rob ure house or get to u, dogs will be of no help ( or not much ). They can be poisened or shot......

And also, remember, each dog has its own character ( of course the dogs "race" counts, but even so....). Do not be disappointed if ure dog(s) grow up to be loving and cuddly, or if they are scared of thunder ( one of mine is, he is a great guard dog but when there is a storm, dont count on him...).....
Just trying to say security shouldnt be the only reason one deceides to adopt a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.