tourist safety in POP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting article in local media about the lack of safety in POP.
Inseguridad que afecta a Puerto Plata mantiene preocupados al comercio y otros sectores - Puerto Plata Digital

note this:
Seg?n las estad?sticas consultadas por este redactor, indican que desde enero hasta la fecha se estiman en al menos 60 asaltos cometidos contra turistas de varias nacionalidades como estadounidenses y europeos, pero tambi?n han ca?do en las garras de la delincuencia personalidades de la vida social de esta provincia.

60 attacks on turistas just this year is quite a lot.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Thief 101",........................"Rob people who have the most money"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
And I doubt tourists put up much of a "Fight" and NEVER carry a gun!
Sounds like a "Win/Win" for the "Bad Guys"!!!!!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is a country where you must protect yourself. You cannot rely on police, fire department, neighbors or even 911. If you cannot protect yourself then travel in a group. uh, oh escaped prisoners in PP. Plus they probably are not in prison uniform so they could look like you or me, well, look like you.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The DR is a country where you must protect yourself. You cannot rely on police, fire department, neighbors or even 911. If you cannot protect yourself then travel in a group. uh, oh escaped prisoners in PP. Plus they probably are not in prison uniform so they could look like you or me, well, look like you.

The day I feel the need to protect myself (beside common-sense things I would also do in NYC) is the day me and many other tourists/Visitors will stop visiting DR (especially the non-AI ones).

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
so we are on the lookout for 10 skinny guys (prison food is not great) who have lost their suntan (prison pallor)?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i usually carry something and try to be on alert...it is not a place to be on drunk behavior...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"Tourist safety in POP"????
No such thing exist.
POP (city) is the only place on the island I've ever felt like.. If he gets any closer he's going to wake up with one
hell of a headache.
Of all the places on the island to bring tourist
in on a cruise ship??
They need to do a serious clean up around this area before bringing in more tourist.
I know more than one person who's been robbed in POP in broad day light with the police very close by.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Tourist safety in POP"????
No such thing exist.
POP (city) is the only place on the island I've ever felt like.. If he gets any closer he's going to wake up with one
hell of a headache.
Of all the places on the island to bring tourist
in on a cruise ship??
They need to do a serious clean up around this area before bringing in more tourist.
I know more than one person who's been robbed in POP in broad day light with the police very close by.

a few guys got jacked on the malecon in POP this week..broad daylight.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree Cristo, I have only been here under 2 years but the least safe I have felt has been in POP!

the basic problem with POP is that it developed as a tourist town, and all the campesinos set up shop here, looking for work in that field. in the mid 2000's, there were many foreigners, cathouses abounded, Long Beach was abuzz with informal activity (you know what i mean), and money was flowing. since that that aspect of the economy is now defunct, there are several lumpenproletariat elements who have no livelihoods, and who have to walk on the wild side to buy the platano and salami.

coming to Sosua real soon. you heard it here first.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a few guys got jacked on the malecon in POP this week..broad daylight.

i was attacked in POP once only and unsuccessfully at that but it was two corners away from the police HQ on luis ginebra. now that i have a car i rarely walk around aimlessly. but i still have a habit of locking car doors as soon as i get in, before i even start the engine.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i was attacked in POP once only and unsuccessfully at that but it was two corners away from the police HQ on luis ginebra. now that i have a car i rarely walk around aimlessly. but i still have a habit of locking car doors as soon as i get in, before i even start the engine.

keep doing what you have found to be successful. we don't want anything untoward happening to you. these are desperate times.