American Salon Opening Looking for helpers

A

AmericanGlamBar1

My name is India, I am opening an American Hair Salon in Sosua. i am new to dominican republic and dr1. I do not speak much Spanish but I am looking for a woman, prefferably dominican who can speak english and interested in hair as I am a liscensed cosmetoligist. Please respond if this is you and looking for work as well as an opportunity to build and become a hair stylist and one day manager. Thanks

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
LOL. This is going to get very interesting. An American opening a hair salon in the Dominican Republic.........And has no command of the language. Recipe for disaster. Before you do that please talk to the EX-Pats in the area for advise.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I don't see what the problem is! She could cater exclusively to gringas. She also understands their needs and wishes better than a local salon.

Apr 13, 2011
What are you paying for someone who has experience with hair and hair salons and speaks English pretty well? I may know someone possibly.

Aug 21, 2007
I think there is opportunity in this. One person who successfully owned a salon for ex-pats passed away within the past year. Since then, many of us have been looking for someone to fill the gap.

~ Lindsey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LK,
my wife has been going to Sto Domingo since no more Sosua..... great place that she claims is equivalent to her favorites in PHL nad NYC......... at about 1/4 to 1/3 the price for cut and color

hers was about 3,000 if I remember.... less than 4000 for sure

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LOL. This is going to get very interesting. An American opening a hair salon in the Dominican Republic.........And has no command of the language. Recipe for disaster. Before you do that please talk to the EX-Pats in the area for advise.

Triple that.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What happened to the salon that catered to expats a few years ago?

Good luck, you are going to need it!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The hair guy died..... he was very popular w/ gringas.... not too cheap... but popular

we do waaaay better now in SD..... cost and quality.... I'll get the name later

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I lived in the Sosua area for about two years. I recommend you learn the language and the way "business" is done
in (I presume) El Batey before you decide when and where you want to open your salon. If you are in need of Dominican
women in the area who are both competent and reliable to work in your salon I suggest you or someone you know who
speaks spanish contact INFOtep. They (INFOtep) might be able to get you some good candidates who speak english,
understand hair and want to work. Good luck.
Instituto Nacional de Formaci?n T?cnico Profesional

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
I don't see what the problem is! She could cater exclusively to gringas. She also understands their needs and wishes better than a local salon.

I was not trying to be mean in any shape or form. But whoever wants to do business in the DR should at the very least speak to other Ex-Pats to avoid the pitfalls in that area, cause Santo Domingo is way different from Sosua and so on. And for Gods sake have a command of the language of the host country. And last but not least she will need to cater to all for that business model to work and not end in failure. Lots of Ex-Pats with a wealth of knowledge that can advise her.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I suppose you're right.... the colmado delivery, propane, gasoil..... all potential dangers

thank god there is no mailman

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
LOL now that is funny. Cause the "Salonista" will brag that they did your hair and how "Rico" you are and then ........We all can figure the rest out.

I dunno....
where I live the mani pedi girl comes to the women all the time.... gringas or Dominicanas
could do hair at the same time

Of course, I'm not in a tourist area..... might be different

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I suppose you're right.... the colmado delivery, propane, gasoil..... all potential dangers

thank god there is no mailman

two thing here;

1..the guy who delivers your colmado order can hand it to you at the door. he does not have to come inside to see what kind of locks you have in the bedroom, and where you hook up the pc.

2..law of averages; you have to allow some guys in. if the plumbing gets jammed up, you can't take it to the repairman. if you need a shave, why bring in the barber? that is an unnecessary exposure.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is something you need to consider that may come back to bite you: Every employee that works for you longer than 90 days needs to be provided with insurance, double pay in December, a 10% severance pay for every year they work for you, pregnancy leave, sick leave, etc.

Of course, like all businesses, you will need some start up salary, some income until money starts flowing in, a place to rent, a willingness to pay some extraordinary high electricity bills, possess a back-up generator or batteries/inverter for when the electricity goes out--and guess what...it does go out and sometimes for a long time. There are many more things, but i'm sitting at the bar right now looking at some topless Scandinavian female and can't be bothered writing any more.

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Here is something you need to consider that may come back to bite you: Every employee that works for you longer than 90 days needs to be provided with insurance, double pay in December, a 10% severance pay for every year they work for you, pregnancy leave, sick leave, etc.

Of course, like all businesses, you will need some start up salary, some income until money starts flowing in, a place to rent, a willingness to pay some extraordinary high electricity bills, possess a back-up generator or batteries/inverter for when the electricity goes out--and guess what...it does go out and sometimes for a long time. There are many more things, but i'm sitting at the bar right now looking at some topless Scandinavian female and can't be bothered writing any more.

Frank

and, frank, don't forget that the stylist or stylists that you employ will eventually try to lure your customers away with the offer of half-price specials.

dang!! where are my 120 dollar styling scissors? i could have sworn they were right here a minute ago...thing must have legs.