• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Was I right or Wrong Dominican Papi?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

When I stated several days ago that Puerto Rican musicians are light years ahead of Dominicans I was not being anti-Dominican. It was the truth. Just today, for example, The NUESTRO AWARDS,the premier Latin music awards from UNIVISION have issued their nominations for different categories. Guess who has most of the nominations? Olga Ta?on, the reigning Merengue Queen for several years, Puerto Rican 4 nominations.Gilberto Santa Rosa, salsa King. Puerto Rican 4 nominations.Juan Gabriel,ballads.Mexican 4 nominations. Dominicans were nominated only once each for Merengue: Milly Quezada, Eddy Herrera and Fulanito(a Dominican York band) Ilegales also received nominations for video and duets. Juan Luis Guerra was only nominated for the video "Quisiera"

What are the chances for Dominicans? In my opinion slim and none. The Puerto Ricans will sweep the Tropical music section and the Mexicans will take care of the rest. Luckily enough, since a Bachata award was created as a gesture to DR, a Dominican will at least get an award, and that will be either Anthony Santos,Frank Reyes and Luis Vargas.

Why is this happening? Basicly speaking is record sales. Puerto Ricans more than triple record sales of Dominicans. Bands like Sergio Vargas,Eddy Herrera,Fernando Villalona and Wifrido Vargas are mostly heard in DR. They are not as popular abroad. Since almost 60% of sales in DR is pirated music the recognition value of Dominican bands in DR is higher than Puerto Rican bands, because people have to purchase Puerto Rican artists legally. This explains for instance why the contest between Milly and Olga Ta?on in Altos de Chavon was a sweep for Milly. Hardly anybody knew the songs by Olga Ta?on. But Milly music is mostly pirated so is easy to recognize her music. But where it counts, in international markets, Olga Ta?on sells five times more than Milly and is recognized as the Merengue Queen. Last year Elvis Crespo, a Puerto Rican swept the Merengue awards in a lopsided vistory. This year, the best merengue group is also from Puerto Rico-Grupo Mania, an exciting, youthful melodic group where Elvis Crespo was the lead singer before he went solo.
TW

D

DR-Defender

First off let me say that I respect you for the fact that you're non-bias which is good but I don't think that you are totally correct. You're missing a lot of information. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to answer to your post completely at this time but I will soon enough.
Anyhow, if you want to talk about popularity, you forgot to mention Tono Rosario which by far is known here in the states more then a lot of these Puerto Rican artists. Now, if you want to talk about them being a lot better then Dominican artists by light years I think you're definetely exagerating just a bit, don't you think? And as far as Elvis Crespo (the one song hero) for him to have been called "The King of Merengue" please..that's totally ridiculous and I will not give him as much credit as I would give Tono Rosario or even Fernando Villalona. You must remember that a real 'King' is he who can stand on top of the mountain for a respectful time. If I was to compare Elvis Crespo to Tono Rosario I would go as far as to say that Tono can teach Elvis a couple of things.
Now, don't get me wrong I do agree with you in a lot things such as the fact that most Dominican Artists these days are a danm shame to us. I respect most of the Puerto Rican bands and singers because they on the other hand have kept the music clean and respectful. Well, like I said I don't really have the time right now but I will be back.

Graciously yours,

DR-DEFENDER

T

Tony C.

The nuestro awards are just another self-serving attempt at stroking the egos of the viewers. Univision's two largerst demographic groups are Mexican and Puerto Ricans. So who do you think are going to get most of the nominations and awards? BTW I can't stand merengue and I like bachata even less.

A

AnaBanana

Yeah, you are right with what you say. But Dominican artists do not have the same resources and options Puerto Ricans do as far as going international goes. A nosotro hay que visanos, among other things. Most also have the advantage of knowing English, which helps them in their business matters.

D

DOMINICAN PAPI

WRONG

as long as it is merengue, i dont care where it comes from. puerto ricans are playing good merengue and i'm glad for that, but tono rosario gets paid more money to play than elvis crespo, grupo mania, and olga tanon altogether. those award nominations are not legitimate at all. it's just a bunch of mexican charros and quebradita noise makers adding a merengue prize so they can get more viewers for their stupid tv shows.

J

John

PR vs DR the final battle

Altos the Chavon. dec 22 Eddie Herrera and Segio Vargas vs. puertan ricans salseros. we will see who are betters?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: To?o Rosario:A Dominican Disgrace

Hey Guys:To?o Rosario is a disgrace to Dominican Republic and to Puerto Rico. He considers himself both. His contract money announcements are nothing more than B.S.(Bulto) He does not get paid what he says and does not get what he demands. In fact, he lost money at Chavon, just like all the other Dominican acts at the same location. Chavon acts are used to get brownie points for the Cassandra Awards. But the truth is, these artists lose a great deal of money to freebies that have to be given away to fill the place to avoid embarrassment. Chavon results are like a Litmus tests to see if an artist can fill the place up. Guess what? They all do...thru freebies and come out at best even, but with lots of press clippings to bolster popularity.

To?o Rosario has to do all the crazy things he does because he needs money like a hog. The guy has legal problems everywhere he goes. He is not even popular with his family. His wife left him for somebody else because he was a jerk and took 50% of his holdings. He threatened her several times according to news reports to no avail. She still left him.He was sued here several times for past due alimony payments and could not come up with the money soon enough. The government even blocked his exit from DR until his children could be provided for. He has resorted to wearing skirts and outrageous costumes to call attention to his music. This is a man that has no respect for himself or merengue and is the laughing stock of the Dominican showbiz. And, of course, he is not that good!

J

Joachim

Re: To?o Rosario:A Dominican Disgrace

Not to mention that Awful painted yellow hair!!

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Just the facts Jack!!

As I stated before, Altos de Chavon is a put on for a show. All the shows there lose money for Dominican artists. You can check that out with Farandula reporters. In addition, Dominican artists have a practice of bringing in cheering sections with planned activities to make them look good, including placards and banners all paid for with their own income from the show.They learned this from Dominican polititians running for office. Why do they do this? To boost their popularity so they get to play more parties and to get brownie points for the Cassandra Awards. There is absolutely no question as to who is more popular in the world of the four acts at Altos de Chavon. Just look at record sales, worldwide concerts and name recognition. I will list them to you 1)Jerry Rivera 2)Victor Manuelle and far behind Sergio Vargas and Eddy Herrera. Victor Manuelle does so well even in DR he has been at the Presidente Festival delighting Dominicans several times and is a future superstar in Latin Music, not just a star here. Victor Manuelle does not have to play small clubs and private parties to make a living. Just the facts, Jack!

J

Joachim

Re: Just the facts Jack!!

What about artists like Rubby Perez?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Rubby the crooner

Ruby Perez is screaming crooner(Drives you nuts with his high pitch) who is trying to revive a long dead career. He is back again, but with an old merengue formula that can only succeed in DR. He survives thanks to doing parties and small joints and the grateful intervention of his fellow artists who have helped to promote him.He is now going on tour with another overdue artist Wilfrido Vargas. Ruby used to be his lead singer almost as far back as WWII!(Just being fastidious) So Wilfrido will also give him a hand and let him join the tour thru 15 DR cities.I will try to avoid every city they are in! But they both need each other now. Wilfrido is a self-promoting ego worshiper who has seen his better days.Rubby is just another dead beat.
TW

J

Joachim

Even the band Patrulla Cince is comprised of only a few Dominicans and the rest Puerto Ricans.

J

Joachim

I thought that Rubby lives in Venezuela and is married to a Venezuelan woman?

How come most of the Merengue singers live outside the DR? You might be right, there is no market for them in the DR, so the hope to cash in on sentemental fools who heard Merengue while vacationing in the DR.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Yes Rubby was in Venezuela for a while. He was deader than a rock. Then came back for a second wind. How can you support a career when the only people selling your records are Calle El Conde Street Vendors who make illegal copies in the cheapest cassettes possible. Some of these cassettes dont last but a week before they start fading.....so its the artist.
TW

D

danagos

Not so easy..

to make a living as a musician/artist. Most do it because it is their passion, not for the money. After (if ever) they have a hit record, then what? Promotion is the key to getting paid for what they do. Don't like it? Don't buy it. The promoters, agents, record companies & managers make most of the $bucks$. IMHO

L

Loren

El Kuko is cool!

I was on a plane with him once and he wasn't taca?o with the rum bottle. Passed around to everybody. That scores points with me! My friend who I was with said "man, don't you know who that is?" I said "some cool drunk guy." He said "That's To?o Rosario" I was like: "No waaay!" But it was.

Eh TW, I guess that makes me a - what do you call it? ..."Colmado bug?"

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: El Kuko is cool!

Anybody, including Cokoo's nest Rosario, who distributes rum over an airplane is nothing more than a moron Dominican chopo of the type that sings the Dominican National Anthem or applauds everytime the airplane lands on DR.

Here's other things that chopos like Tono Rosario do on airplanes:
1)They get up 20 times to go to the toilet from their window seat.
2)They pull the airline hostesses hair when they pass by
3)When offer a choice of drink they want it all.
4)They get up from their seat to check out what they're serving for meals.
5)They talk to much
6)They argue about politics very loud and chant slogans
7)The guys give the airline hostess their phone number thinking she's going to call them back for a date. That's chutzpah
TW

A

AnaBanana

TW...tu tienes cojones

How dare you call a Dominican a chopo because they clap when the plane lands? I clap too, sh*t, I'm just happy I made it alive! and all of those things you mentioned, although at times it might be embarassing, it is also hillarious, and that my friend is what makes them Dominican. Let me ask you, are you one of those that thinks que mea coca-cola y caga biscochitos? Because let me tell you, I go to an university in upstate New York where the majority of the population is white, and yes, there are some latinos here, but sometimes I cannot wait to go back to Washington Heights and be around those people you refer to as chopos and that does not make me a chopa.