Muchologo v. Todologo

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Of course we know that the suffix -ologist refers to an expert in a particular field of study. The Spanish counterpart is -ologo. Dominicans play on the suffix -ologo with muchologo (mucho = much or a lot) and todologo (todo = everything). Hence, if referred to as muchologo it means that you know a lot about many things, and if referred to as todologo it means that someone (not necessarily the one making the call) thinks you know everything. Is any one familiar with this play on suffix in the Dominican vernacular?

Also, although I know we all think we are muchologos, is there anyone on this forum, besides myself, that we think is a todologo?

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
True, I consider myself muchologos. I have a mind full of facts and figures, most of it useless but really handy when playing Trivial Pursuit. I do however know a todologo who insists he is right in all matters regardless of any evidence to the contrary. He has a first class degree, with honours, from the University of Google, a diploma in Stating the Bloody Obvious and is a master at taking all the credit thanks to others hard work.

You may pick up the vibes that I am not very impressed with my boss.