Plenty of Platano In the Bronx

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LOL, my local Burger King is a Dominican social club.

Exactly!! These kids and parents eat a lot of snack food, soda and fast food and most do no excersice except for stuffing their mouths over again. Maybe it would be wise to bring in the parents and their kids to school and explain to them what is healthy and what is not and why anything in excess is not good. Maybe if they understood the long term health effects some would change but sadly probably not. A fat kid is probably going to be a fat adult because of habits acquired.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
globalization, baby. 30 years ago people here were trim and slim. now, they look like they are all from some midwest American state. gargantuan and obese people everywhere. they all want to think that eating like Americans is some advanced cosmopolitan habit, and they do not see what it is doing to their health.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the DR you don't see this because for the average person, snack food and fast food are expensive. In NYC it is a way of life for not only Dominicans but many other groups of people who don't understand how what you are is what you eat.

you don't see fat people? maybe not in Las Terrenas, but every other person in POP is quite overweight.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I've NOTICED a huge difference (pun intended) in the past ten years. Part of it is more people have cars and motos, but also way more fast-food is available. My brother-in-law sells all that crap that makes you fat at his student cafeteria, and he only sells what they want. The amount of children that bring a healthy lunch and snacks to school out of 600 children you can count on your fingers.
At the new school with the little ones we are trying to change that by selling no candy, but it's a hard habit to break when these kids are practically born with a sucker in their mouths.
Lots of Dominican kids are involved in sports, and even most of fat ones play baseball, but a steady diet of starches, sugars, and processed junk food will get you fat in a hurry.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Based on my own observations, I would guess that obesity rates are higher in PR.

May 29, 2006
onion_news766_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

Surgeon General: Americans Have Gigantic Fat Asses | The Onion - America's Finest News Source