Any one have an ASUS Chrome Box in the DR?

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Thinking of getting one. My desktops don't last very long here. These might last a little longer and are cheaper. $180.00 with 2GB RAM, 4 USB ports, 1 HDMI port and a Display port. I'm thinking of a wireless keyboard and mouse and connect an external hard drive for storage. Would be used mostly for internet, email and Skype. Any downloads would go to the external drive for use on another desktop. Also malware doesn't download to these, so I'm told. Any one know why/if an additional 2 GB of ram would be needed for a total of 4 GB? thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't use Chrome, but instead use Linux. I have been using an ACER laptop for years now and Ubuntu Linux. Chrome does not seem to be a bad option in case you go that way.

Aug 21, 2007
Our foundation has one Samsung Chrome Book and 2 Acer Chrome Books. They are new. The touch pad on one of them is no good, but I can't remember which one. For the money and for our use, they are perfect! I guess it all depends what your needs are.

~ Lindsey

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Can you use SKYPE with a the ASUS CHROME Book? A friend of mine had a chromebook, I'm not sure what brand but she was unable to install the programme.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Lindsey thanks but I think thats notebook/laptop, you could always attach a mouse to replace the touch pad. The ASUS is kinda different then a notebook/laptop but thanks for your info. Also, I would be happy to help you with your laptops/PC's/notebooks when it comes to maintaining them, upgrades etc. Only I would have to pick them up and bring them to my place in POP and perform the work. thanks again

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
They probably don't last long because of the heat generated. Try purchasing a cooling fan that goes outside the system, or a better cooling fan for the CPU. Also make sure the back has airflow so the warm exhaust has someplace to go once vented.

If, however, it's the humidity that's killing the laptop, it'll probably kill the Chrombox too, but clearly your costs/unit are greatly reduced.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey thanks but I think thats notebook/laptop, you could always attach a mouse to replace the touch pad. The ASUS is kinda different then a notebook/laptop but thanks for your info. Also, I would be happy to help you with your laptops/PC's/notebooks when it comes to maintaining them, upgrades etc. Only I would have to pick them up and bring them to my place in POP and perform the work. thanks again

Yes, that's what we do- use a mouse with it.

Thanks for the offer to help with the devices. If I get in a jam, I'll contact you. Since our program is ongoing throughout the week, we are constantly playing the update, download apps, eliminate apps, and charging game. We have a great internet connection, but still, with 25 devices, it takes a huge amount of time. If I slept in my office, it would be very simple, but that's not about to happen.

~ Lindsey

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I think the new windows Surface tablet is the way 2 go. Has working MS office and all the programs you can ever need. About $700 with the magnetically attachable keyboard. Cheers!

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
Caution when buying new computers and especially tablets.....

Almost ALL of the new tablets do not permit you to connect to a router/modem with a wire...you must stay wireless. I do not like that limitation. And some laptops too....and chromebooks. So be careful if a wire connection (good Skype performance) is important to you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have 4 of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First one I bought at WALMART 3 or 4 years ago for $200.
I have since bought 3 more off AMAZON at $199.00 each.
Shipped them here, duty free, on EPS, shipping COST ABOUT $25.
WE USE THEM EVERYDAY!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't use "Skype".
I'll ask my kids about THAT.
I know they do "Video Chat", but maybe just on their bigger "Toshiba" lap tops.
I'm totally naked right now, would YOU want me to"Skype"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC