Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any one have an ASUS Chrome Box in the DR?

Thinking of getting one. My desktops don't last very long here. These might last a little longer and are cheaper. $180.00 with 2GB RAM, 4 USB ports, 1 HDMI port and a Display port. I'm thinking of a wireless keyboard and mouse and connect an external hard drive for storage. Would be used mostly for internet, email and Skype. Any downloads would go to the external drive for use on another desktop. Also malware doesn't download to these, so I'm told. Any one know why/if an additional 2 GB of ram would be needed for a total of 4 GB? thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use Chrome, but instead use Linux. I have been using an ACER laptop for years now and Ubuntu Linux. Chrome does not seem to be a bad option in case you go that way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Samsung Chrome Box. For Internet use only it is just fine.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Our foundation has one Samsung Chrome Book and 2 Acer Chrome Books. They are new. The touch pad on one of them is no good, but I can't remember which one. For the money and for our use, they are perfect! I guess it all depends what your needs are.

~ Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you use SKYPE with a the ASUS CHROME Book? A friend of mine had a chromebook, I'm not sure what brand but she was unable to install the programme.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lindsey thanks but I think thats notebook/laptop, you could always attach a mouse to replace the touch pad. The ASUS is kinda different then a notebook/laptop but thanks for your info. Also, I would be happy to help you with your laptops/PC's/notebooks when it comes to maintaining them, upgrades etc. Only I would have to pick them up and bring them to my place in POP and perform the work. thanks again

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They probably don't last long because of the heat generated. Try purchasing a cooling fan that goes outside the system, or a better cooling fan for the CPU. Also make sure the back has airflow so the warm exhaust has someplace to go once vented.

If, however, it's the humidity that's killing the laptop, it'll probably kill the Chrombox too, but clearly your costs/unit are greatly reduced.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by No Place Like Home View Post
    Lindsey thanks but I think thats notebook/laptop, you could always attach a mouse to replace the touch pad. The ASUS is kinda different then a notebook/laptop but thanks for your info. Also, I would be happy to help you with your laptops/PC's/notebooks when it comes to maintaining them, upgrades etc. Only I would have to pick them up and bring them to my place in POP and perform the work. thanks again
    Yes, that's what we do- use a mouse with it.

Thanks for the offer to help with the devices. If I get in a jam, I'll contact you. Since our program is ongoing throughout the week, we are constantly playing the update, download apps, eliminate apps, and charging game. We have a great internet connection, but still, with 25 devices, it takes a huge amount of time. If I slept in my office, it would be very simple, but that's not about to happen.

~ Lindsey

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the new windows Surface tablet is the way 2 go. Has working MS office and all the programs you can ever need. About $700 with the magnetically attachable keyboard. Cheers!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Skype does NOT work with Chrome. Period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast