Still No Plan For Sosua Beach

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The president of the Association of Sustainable Development of Sos?a, Andres Pastoriza has said that there are still no definite plans about redesigning the beach.

Neither definite plans whether the souvenir shops should be moved, and if so, where to. Pastoriza said that 'we are in contact with the authorities of tourism', including the tourism minister himself, Francisco Javier Garc?a. Efforts are being made and many are working on it but there is still no definitive plan. The president of the association said that although there has been some progress involving the development of plans, there are still some details to be discussed with the authorities. That is what we are waiting for, but we are confident that it will happen soon.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Last year, we saw the crackdown on Chicas, and could see how this could effect the number of Mongers going there. We don't interact with Chicas or Mongers but could see how this crack down would effect how many small Restaurants and Bars there would be.

This crackdown could adversely effect, some of the important things we like about Sosua.

The talk of “cleaning” the “souvenir shops” from the Beach would be another big blow to what we like about Sosua. The “souvenir shops” include 70+ small Restaurants and Bars, as well as over a 100 souvenir shops. All employing several Locals each.

So... they run 200+ Chicas out of Town.
With them go the MotoConcho drivers, Waitresses, Hotel maids, etc..... 100s' of jobs
You kick out the “souvenir shops” on the Beach.... another 500 direct jobs, 100's of indirect jobs.

The Dominican Republic is not overflowing with jobs.
Now, where do these people go, to put food on the table?

Andres Pastoriza says he is worried about Crime.

He should be..... HE IS CAUSING IT!

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
They aren't being "kicked out". They're being relocated.

Sort of true...

I am sure, some will be relocated to a new building, away from the Beach (and Tourists) to a place they can't afford the rent.

It will be a lot more Miami-ish.
It will lose most of it's quaint ambiance.
But.... it will make room for a few individuals to monopolize on the Tourists.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sort of true...

I am sure, some will be relocated to a new building, away from the Beach (and Tourists) to a place they can't afford the rent.

It will be a lot more Miami-ish.
It will lose most of it's quaint ambiance.
But.... it will make room for a few individuals to monopolize on the Tourists.

This has been the "Master Plan", for 5 years now.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

So if Willy gets elected Mayor, he will install showers and beds in the beach casetas, and make it an RLD, complete with secure credit card processing and the ability to accept bitcoin Pichardo style.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This has been the "Master Plan", for 5 years now.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

So if Willy gets elected Mayor, he will install showers and beds in the beach casetas, and make it an RLD, complete with secure credit card processing and the ability to accept bitcoin Pichardo style.

Tambo, you forgot the e-peso....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, you forgot the e-peso....

Actually "organizing" the chicas and taxing the "services" and paying for schools might make too much sense.
Perfect campaign for Willy, a chicken on every table!
Who will be his Vice_mayor?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Last year, we saw the crackdown on Chicas, and could see how this could effect the number of Mongers going there. We don't interact with Chicas or Mongers but could see how this crack down would effect how many small Restaurants and Bars there would be.

This crackdown could adversely effect, some of the important things we like about Sosua.

The talk of ?cleaning? the ?souvenir shops? from the Beach would be another big blow to what we like about Sosua. The ?souvenir shops? include 70+ small Restaurants and Bars, as well as over a 100 souvenir shops. All employing several Locals each.

So... they run 200+ Chicas out of Town.
With them go the MotoConcho drivers, Waitresses, Hotel maids, etc..... 100s' of jobs
You kick out the ?souvenir shops? on the Beach.... another 500 direct jobs, 100's of indirect jobs.

The Dominican Republic is not overflowing with jobs.
Now, where do these people go, to put food on the table?

Andres Pastoriza says he is worried about Crime.

He should be..... HE IS CAUSING IT!

I agree. If these new plans don't produce new jobs for these people then crime will get worse. I know several
guys who live in Charamicos and work on the beach. Trust me when I say they (local government) need to
do whatever is necessary to keep these guys occupied in a positive way.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
From today's Sosua News:

The president of the Association of Sustainable Development of Sos?a, Andres Pastoriza has said that there are still no definite plans about redesigning the beach.

Neither definite plans whether the souvenir shops should be moved, and if so, where to. Pastoriza said that 'we are in contact with the authorities of tourism', including the tourism minister himself, Francisco Javier Garc?a. Efforts are being made and many are working on it but there is still no definitive plan. The president of the association said that although there has been some progress involving the development of plans, there are still some details to be discussed with the authorities. That is what we are waiting for, but we are confident that it will happen soon.
Ken,
Thank you for re-reporting this important piece of no new news!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is so typical. Always grand plans, they go about half way and leave behind a mess...thus is the plan to change Sosua.