Looking for New Refrigerator Advice

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Besides the house in Santiago, I'm in the process of renting a new apartment in the Campo.........
Construction will be completed in about 1 month, so, It's new appliance time again.......
first on my list is a new refrigerator.........
With electricity being off for many hours at a time in the Campos...............
I need one with excellent insulation and without anything digital ..............
It will not be connected to an Inverter..........
I have been leaning towards the Samsung 2 door because it appears to be very well constructed...........
But my experience with different refrigerators here are limited............
I don't want to purchase brands like Mabe or Atlas, I'd rather stick to the name brands.........
And PriceSmart carries Frigidaire which has always been lower end in the States...........
So, looking for feedback from people that have purchased here in the DR............
Who's had the best all around luck with their refrigerators here..........
Feedback is appreciated, Thank you...........

B in Santiago

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Frigidaire (and GE) appliances SUCK. Stay away.

In the campo I would probably go with a Mabe simply because they know to to fix them.
Otherwise I would go with a Whirlpool.

That said, I have a SHARP refrigerator that is going strong after 11 years.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mabe. They are designed for crappy third world electricity issues, especially low voltage.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
IMHO the best quality refrigerator brand available in DR is Maytag. Expensive, but really high quality and silent, made in USA.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Personally, I am not a Mabe fan.
Also, after buying "High End" appliances when I first arrived, like Maytag, washer, dryer, refrigerators,stoves, I learned
that Dominicans will destroy whatever you buy, so don't but the "BEST!
I would buy an "LG" refrigerator, stainless steel "Skin", about 18 cu.ft. , depending on your needs.
An inexpensive, non digital, and no "Ice in the door" models!!!!
Since it will be without power "sometimes" get the freezer on the top model, as the cold air will flow down to help keep the "Fridge" part cooler.
I have two "LG's" and the 18 cu model is not on the invertor system , yet stays cold for over 24 hours.
Keep the freezer FULL.
Freeze gallon bottles to fill it up if needed.
Move the frozen bottles into the fridge as needed, when the power is off, but only after 12 hours or more.
Since it's the "Campo", don't keep much meat, or perishables frozen , as it could defrost if the power is off for more than a day or so, and you will "Use It, or Lose IT"!!!!!
"Plaza lama" has a large selection all the time, watch for "Sales"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I am planning to buy an inverter refrigerator next purchase.
Not good for the campo, and it's for MY BEDROOM, so it won't get "Domincaned"!

Jan 9, 2004
Frigidaire (and GE) appliances SUCK. Stay away.

In the campo I would probably go with a Mabe simply because they know to to fix them.
Otherwise I would go with a Whirlpool.

That said, I have a SHARP refrigerator that is going strong after 11 years.

Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux.

GE owns a large stake of Mabe.

Amana and Maytag are currently owned by Whirpool.

Many of these also manufacture the Kenmore brand for Sears.

Like cars, refrigerators have good and bad models....but overall, Whirpool has the best repair history...as in needing the least.

I currently, last week, brought in a Kenmore to replace my Whirlpool (brought over in 2000, still working, time for an upgrade).

I will not buy there. Products made specifically for the DR are made of lesser quality compressors and thinner gauge metal.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And u need to protect the fridge, even if u deceide on an inverter.......
Before I got a voltage comtroller/protecter thingy, a electronic piece of the fridge kept burning out, the electricity is so low ( count on 60V on the 110 V line.....). I cant remember the name of the part, but I imagine it is there to stop blowing the whole fridge...... cheap to change, 200 pesos part and 200 pesos for the "technician". But inconviniant....... I probably changed it like 7 times over 6 months......

Of course it is one of the double door, make icecubes ( which seves no purpose whatsoever here), SMS u when the milk goes sour, tie ure shoelaces fridge.
And of course to make it worse, the cheap, small fridge of my inlaws works just fine on low voltage.......

If ever I have to change the fridge, I hope to convince my wife to get 2 small cheap fridges instead....... (and leave the other one in its place as decoration....... since it is built into the wall.....

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A lot of good info............thank you all........
Before I posted, I didn't give it any thought about future repairs............
I should have.....Now I have to consider the cheaper so so brands with this in mind.........
Figuring the majority of fridges sold here are going to be of cheaper quality...........
And the local repairmen will have a lot more experience with these........
Plus, parts will also be cheaper and readily available...........
I have already purchased a voltage regulator to be installed with the Inverter............
And I have to make sure the wiring in the apartment is grounded........
If not, I will pay to have the copper rod installed and connected...........
I am looking for approx. a 20 cubic footer, but can't measure until the kitchen area is completed........

B in Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
B,
why not go for a small solar set-up? Just the fridge and some other stuff you want/need

Maybe AE still has her system for sale

open the opportunity door a bit wider.....??

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
B,
why not go for a small solar set-up? Just the fridge and some other stuff you want/need

Maybe AE still has her system for sale

open the opportunity door a bit wider.....??

I don't own the property and any type of installation like this would never be approved............
trying to keep as simple as possible........In the event Campo lifestyle just isn't for me..........
Been kicking it back and forth whether or not to give up the house in Santiago.............
The biggest reason for the apartment is because I have so many children there that want to be taught English..........
As so their parents, and I have a lot of free time...........so, why not.........

B in Santiago

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"PLAYA" I doubt the DR gets "Different Models".
There are MANY Negative DR "Urban Legends" about "Plaza Lama"!
References please??????
Read "Consumers Reports" for the "Rated Best" models.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
"PLAYA" I doubt the DR gets "Different Models".
There are MANY Negative DR "Urban Legends" about "Plaza Lama"!
References please??????
Read "Consumers Reports" for the "Rated Best" models.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tried this before.........
numbers never correlate.........

B in Santiago.........

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Had a Whirpool for 11 years (1996-2007) still working fine when I gave it away because of broken plastics and some corrosion.
The replacement LG now within 7 years had a burned circuit board 2x. The board was hard to get and expensive.
Would pick a whirlpool again next time.

As with all equipments: here buy only products for what you get spare parts on the next corner:
cars, scooters, lawn movers, fridges, fans, water pumps, generators, printers etc. etc.

Going with the mainstream usually pays the first time you need a spare.

Good place to buy is
http://tiendascorripio.com.do/

Alexander

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
That's because you made the mistake of buying a model with a "Circuit board"!
"KISS" in the DR!!!!!
My wife, Dominicana" made the mistake, after I TOLD her NOT TO, of buying a top of the line Frigidaire stove.
"Digital" Everything.
GONE after less than 2 years!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
what's the meaning of the "............" at the end of each of your sentence ?!?! :confused::knockedou

to your topic: the best experience in regards fo fridges i did with Plaza Lama LG
i bought 2 fridges there the first one lasted almost 12 years and the second one is still running silently after 5 years;