Festival De Merengue Puerto Plata

mrfermin

Sep 1, 2014
I've been visiting POP in september for as long as I can remember taking advantage of the annual festival de merengue.

I haven't gone to dr during september in 2 years. how have the last 2 festivals been? I know safety is a luxury in the carribean and im from there so im used to it. But does anyone from dr1 partake in the festival de merengue? if not, why?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a musician, I find listening to guitar based merengue to be the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard. Two chords, over and over and over........ Merengue Tipico is no better for me, but my wife loves it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As a musician, I find listening to guitar based merengue to be the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard. Two chords, over and over and over........ Merengue Tipico is no better for me, but my wife loves it.

you forgot to mention it's the same two chords..over and over.

as for tipico; there is nothing i hate more than a squeaky alto sax.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
never been and will never go. hateful music played at insane volume. plus being knee deep in trash.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL if i didnt know any better i wouldve forgotten this is a DR forum

Don't feel bad mrfermin, not one of the people who commented is Dominican.

I'm married to an old-school Dominican who loves his merengue and dislikes bachata. And our son is a bachatero.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I like the Tipico. Of course it helps to have a decent speaker system without a lot of distortion and not sure how long I would want to hear it live.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
LOL dv8, you gotta admit that we can be an opinionated group.

no denying here. but then this is a forum full of gringos so don't expect many dominicans to chip (pun NOT intended but stays) in.

on a different note, i googled festival de merengue and it seems that last year they had poeta callejero. that ain't merengue.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
It's kind of tricky cause I could never find any info online. DR is one of the place where you have to search high and low for info online, i get most of my info from relatives on the island and they always hit me up on facebook when the acts have been announced. this is all i really found:

Events - Merengue Festival & Caribbean Rhythms of Puerto Plata

So this info states..Festival is being held at La Puntilla??!! How is this even going to be possible with all the mess of on going( destruction) construction there??!!

mrfermin

Sep 1, 2014
So this info states..Festival is being held at La Puntilla??!! How is this even going to be possible with all the mess of on going( destruction) construction there??!!

I hear they are moving it infront of "lo bomberos" ...its always a fun night

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
And one week later a 3-day latin festival in Santo Domingo, with Anthony Santos, Prince Royce, etc, etc.
Begin every day at 2pm. Also free of charge.