Security cameras

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I would like to increase the security around the house. I have 6' fence, rolled barbed wire in some sections - will finish the rest a bit later. I have bars on all windows and doors and a little dog which is very very good at doing the alarm thing. I have some battery powered alarms for some of the windows. Need to put on all windows.

I am considering a security camera. I looked a bit on the web but I am overwhelmed. Any pointers? Where do I start? Are they worth it? Fake ones as deterrent?

I tried to find info on DR1 but obviously could not.

Suggestions welcome. Thank you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would skip the cameras and go for motion sensors. you can install a few on the outside walls of the house. the good ones will not "see" small dogs and cats. the siren is loud enough to wake the dead and certainly will serve the purpose of discouraging a thief.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Sorry, I am just curious, what is the point to live in a place where you need to turn your house into a private prison and live behind bars and barbed wire?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha the world is at odds..thieves...cameras dont deter nighttime invaders... i like dogs...trained dogs...and security /people living there... my last condo rental they got in and walked out by not having a double keyed entrance lock on door...my advice is to review your security every 3 or 4 months...they are looking watching...waiting... tough to be safe of course t v s and comp are different then personal safty. i always worried about u.s. thieves more than a local...

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
go to brickhouse.com.they will explain alot and they have decent prices.stay away feom the stuff you see on amazon and other low end sites

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
if you get a dog, never let the dog in the house... get it a doghouse dog will use it in the rain ,,,have or get help training a dog barking allthe time is no good...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in house

cams are good in house. last year a guy beat and robbed a woman in n.j. got him on cam 10k$us reward for capture...caught within 24 hrs...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Sorry, I am just curious, what is the point to live in a place where you need to turn your house into a private prison and live behind bars and barbed wire?

god help me. ever heard of "precaution"? google it. back where you live a precaution is to lock the house. here it is to have bars in windows. deal with it.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I live in SD, actually. There are many nice apartment buildings where you can live without bars, not like in a prison cell.

There are some buildings like this in Juan Dolio, Punta Cana and other tourist areas, if you like to live near the beach.

What is the reason to buy a house and then have paranoia about security, barbed wire, cameras, what's next? High voltage on barbed wire? Mines in the backyard?

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
... what's next? High voltage on barbed wire? ....

Yes!

It's called a "Fence Charger".

1zcz4ee.jpg

Works great at keeping the "animals" from going over the fence.
My dog tried it once, never attempted it again.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
go to brickhouse.com.they will explain alot and they have decent prices.stay away feom the stuff you see on amazon and other low end sites

Perhaps you could check what you posted, that site has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, at least not what came up on my computer when I copied and pasted the link...

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
sorry about that,thanks lothario...the website is brickhousesecurity.com

Perhaps you could check what you posted, that site has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, at least not what came up on my computer when I copied and pasted the link...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I live in SD, actually. There are many nice apartment buildings where you can live without bars, not like in a prison cell.

There are some buildings like this in Juan Dolio, Punta Cana and other tourist areas, if you like to live near the beach.

What is the reason to buy a house and then have paranoia about security, barbed wire, cameras, what's next? High voltage on barbed wire? Mines in the backyard?

To each his own......... barbed wires and metal bars are not needed if u like living in an appartment on the 5th floor...... true.
But lots of people prefer houses.......

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Apartment building vs. house and then you call a house a prison cell?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

please note that nice apartment building have different type of security: solid tall wall or a fence; electric gates for cars; electric gates at actual entrances to the building; security cameras; security guards and individual alarms inside apartments.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
If you use wireless sensors or cameras the installation is easy/clean; no cutting into concrete!

I use wireless cameras with email alerts. I can check the scene from anyplace with my android phone.

Installation time 30 minutes.