HGH - Human growth hormone available in the DR?

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
My father has just being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He is showing some symptoms but has not responded very well to his first set of medical therapy. He has one doctor that has been talking to him about trying HGH to slow the progress of the disease as an alternate therapy. My father's insurance will not cover the medication for this trial as they consider it experimental. My father, as you may imagine, is willing and eager to explore any therapy that may at least slow the development of the disease and we want to try the HGH route and I wanted to find out if it is available in the DR and if so what is it called and if you have any idea of the approximate cost. I am hoping that it may be less expensive than in the USA. Also, if available, do we need a prescription to buy it will a prescription from him US doctor be sufficient? Thank you.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Sorry to hear about your dad's prognosis. Itis a devastating disease. Sounds like he is at the early hopeful stages. Parkinson's is one disease where a celebrity has made a difference. In perception, if not in actual clinical improvement. Don't trust charlatans. Trust your doctor. Makes sure he takes his medicine on time. Crucial for Parkinson's. And put your and his effort in general health improvement, which has shown some positive outcome in how patients perceive the effects of the diese. He'll need your help. As a rule, other countries besides USA are relatively lax regarding medications not used for abuse. Their is no easy answer fr Parkinson's. You can reliably trust Michael j fox foundation and the education you can find there. Good luck. Btw, luck is the one clinical criteria left out of every study. Cuz it can't be quantified.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Sorry to hear about your dad's prognosis. Itis a devastating disease. Sounds like he is at the early hopeful stages. Parkinson's is one disease where a celebrity has made a difference. In perception, if not in actual clinical improvement. Don't trust charlatans. Trust your doctor. Makes sure he takes his medicine on time. Crucial for Parkinson's. And put your and his effort in general health improvement, which has shown some positive outcome in how patients perceive the effects of the diese. He'll need your help. As a rule, other countries besides USA are relatively lax regarding medications not used for abuse. Their is no easy answer fr Parkinson's. You can reliably trust Michael j fox foundation and the education you can find there. Good luck. Btw, luck is the one clinical criteria left out of every study. Cuz it can't be quantified.

Thank you for your sound advice. They have just recently determined that is what is affecting him as they had a few wrong turns on the road to the correct diagnostic. However, when this conclusion came about, it unfortunately rang true as he had almost a text-book case of symptoms by that time. From the initial diagnosis until now, about 8 months have passed and the shock is beginning to wear off. He is starting to come to grips with the realities of the disease and his future. He has always enjoyed good physical health but this new challenge is starting to affect his attitude and that is currently his biggest struggle. Any spot of hope, however remote or experimental, gives him a nervous optimism and if for nothing else we are willing to explore any additional therapies as long as they do not interfere with ongoing treatment or present some sort of danger to his health.
Thanks again for your concern and your thoughtful comments.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
how old is pop?

Recently turned 81. He has always enjoyed a full and healthy life and rarely gets sick. This does not exist in other family members, past or present, and so it arrived quite unexpectedly.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow good for him 81 i myself will never again give buy administer alternatives drugs...natural remedies...ok but u got to realize at that age to do a reversal by natural holis. cures...could have another organ failure and go... bring him down and let him enjoy the air ssea sun good help. thats what i want clean underwear, trip outside 2x or 3x week to a restaurant.. stroll on the promanade and we all know we are going...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
My father has just being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. He is showing some symptoms but has not responded very well to his first set of medical therapy. He has one doctor that has been talking to him about trying HGH to slow the progress of the disease as an alternate therapy. My father's insurance will not cover the medication for this trial as they consider it experimental. My father, as you may imagine, is willing and eager to explore any therapy that may at least slow the development of the disease and we want to try the HGH route and I wanted to find out if it is available in the DR and if so what is it called and if you have any idea of the approximate cost. I am hoping that it may be less expensive than in the USA. Also, if available, do we need a prescription to buy it will a prescription from him US doctor be sufficient? Thank you.

I have been running a project to help a young girl who suffers from lack of HGH and therefore was not growing to a normal height. She was evaluated by a pediatric endocrinologist in Santo Domingo. The doctor provided a prescription which was forwarded to the pharmaceutical company. An ampule of HGH (Saizen) costs RD $10,650 at this time. She needs two ampules every other month, which ends up costing (at the current exchange rate) around $470 every other month.

I have no idea if a prescription from a doctor in the US would be acceptable. Also, there are different strengths, and the amount of hormone prescribed will be the final determinant of the cost.

You might find some information in my thread:

http://dr1.com/forums/community-support/123494-make-difference-child.html

tao112

Jul 6, 2011
Hey bigocean

One of my best friends is only 39 yeads old.. he is the..second youngest person living in denmark with parkinson, my best advice to your father is to try to renain as physical active as possible...working out as much as possible and keeping a active llifestyle with as much movement as possible..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Recently turned 81. He has always enjoyed a full and healthy life and rarely gets sick. This does not exist in other family members, past or present, and so it arrived quite unexpectedly.

Quite a late onset for Parkinson's, have they done a lot of tests? Some meds have side effects that mimic Parkinson's.

My mom's tremors began in her early 60's, and she had good response to meds early on, but eventually each one stopped working and they moved on to stronger drugs. HGH was never mentioned. The best results we heard of were from the brain stimulation surgery, but they don't like to do it on patients over 80. Mom lived to age 86, thankfully never got the dementia that usually goes along with the later-stage Parkinson's. [Anesthesia from an unrelated surgery was her downfall].

Mom was one of 11 kids, had probably 40 first cousins, and she was the only one with Parkinson's, so it's not always genetic. I pray I never get that diagnosis.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Mom was one of 11 kids, had probably 40 first cousins, and she was the only one with Parkinson's, so it's not always genetic. I pray I never get that diagnosis.

Or Alzheimers. Both horrible ways to leave this life.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My Father had Parkinson's and died at the age of 89. His later years were miserable and his doctors suggested all kinds of treatments from Stem Cell therapy to HGH. He never caved, even though his insurance would have paid...I wondered why, but it was his decision.

Several years ago, we met a couple from NJ who were staying at the Hispaniola Hotel in Santo Domingo. The wife was having stem-cell treatments for Parkinson's in DR. They had previously been to Honduras, if my memory serves me correctly, where they had spent $100,000 for the same treatments. I often think of them and wonder how it turned out.

At the time, no insurance would pay for that, I'm surprised and glad to hear your father's would have.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Do they sell "Human Shrink Hormone" here?
I weigh over 300 pounds and want to "SHRINK"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I bet. The girls at BB's letting you be on top may be somewhat of an incentive in dropping a few pounds.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
An ampule of HGH (Saizen) costs RD $10,650 at this time. She needs two ampules every other month, which ends up costing (at the current exchange rate) around $470 every other month.

I have no idea if a prescription from a doctor in the US would be acceptable. Also, there are different strengths, and the amount of hormone prescribed will be the final determinant of the cost.

I know that a bottle of HgH (it comes in different amounts like many other medications, but I was not aware it comes in different strengths) at 16 IU (international units) on the black market goes for around US $365 dollars in the DR, but that was with the mark-up of a busc?n.

I have no idea what the retail price is from a pharmacy. In Colombia, a bottle of HgH, 12 IU, can cost anywhere from US $100 to $150 dollars, direct from a pharmacy, with no middle man taking a cut and no prescription needed. I don't know if the prices are comparable, but given the fact that DR is a developing country, I don't see the prices being far off the mark. But I could be wrong.

I too am curious about the costs of this drug, because someone I know whose daughter suffers from low growth syndrome (I mentioned this situation a few years ago) may or may not be on HgH therapy. The price for the HgH therapy the mother quoted me was enough to purchase a car or even an apartment or house in a barrio, and of course I could not get a straight answer about the duration and actual amount of HgH this amount of money covered. I do know for a fact her daughter has problems, but to what extent is a mystery to me.

I was skeptical to say the least, but like with all medications, price varies depending on the pharmaceutical company that manufactures it, the amount of medication per vial/ampule/bottle, and the amount needed on a monthly basis.

HgH is MUCH cheaper in Latin America than it is in the states, that is for sure. But like I said, it all depends on the amount needed. I have a colleague, an older woman, who over a short period of time looked about 10 years younger. She went to an anti-aging clinic and was prescribed daily doses of HgH. She told me she only paid $200 US dollars for a monthly supply, but the amount she was taking daily was small. I've heard some people spending as much as $4,000 dollars a month on it, but it's for purposes of looking better, not to treat an actual medical condition.

Last edited:

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
With HGH you could maintain your current weight of 300+ pounds and convert it to rock-solid muscle (assuming that isn't the case currently).

Do they sell "Human Shrink Hormone" here?
I weigh over 300 pounds and want to "SHRINK"!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Let's respect the OP and not stray too far off the main topic, which is s serious issue.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks for all of the great responses. We are still trying to get used to the idea that he may indeed have this disease and my dad, understandably, is still in the "disbelief" phase of the diagnosis. There is a variety of opinions with his doctors as to his treatment but almost all of them have no problem with him trying different approaches especially given his age. At age 81, they do not have to be concerned that much of long-term effects of drugs as they would in a much younger patient. I am currently out of the country with them now but will return to the DR sometime next week and then I will begin checking with the local pharmacy's. We are ready to try the HGH but the cost is a big issue and I hope that possibly we can find it less expensively in the DR.

I will post whatever I find out on this thread and I keep hoping that someone will pop up with some information as to its availability in the DR and specifically what name it is sold under. Thanks again.