Fire Insurance

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hi Everyone,

We are just a week or so away from opening the restaurant. Its been a really adventure filled with highs and lows. Some strange things have happened - like competition calling the government on us. So dumb because the government told us who called LOL. Fortunately we have started the process with our lawyer of obtaining all permits so it wasn't a big deal but it occurred to me that I have not investigated insurance (outside of for employees).

As we saw on PC - fires can happen so I would like to know if anyone here knows where I can find fire insurance on a business and is it expensive.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What's your menu going to consist of.............
If you are going to have fried chicken............and Chivo.......
And you are in Santiago...........
I'll be there........:D

I'll be the one sitting alone, eating for 4.........

B in Santiago

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Is this the health restaurant that you asked advice for a few months ago? Hope it goes well!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
We have insurance on pretty much everything through Universal, covering theft, fire, hurricane and earthquake damage (which are evidently the biggest risks here as they can wipe you out completely), and most important third party liability - because if there is any sort of accident someone is going to try and sue you. We even cover theft of laptops and solar panels. I use a broker in the capital who is really professional, PM me and I will pass on her details. We have claimed a couple of times, she has managed everything and there has been absolutely no problem getting paid.

You are very sensible to get insurance cover here, given how often things go wrong. I can't believe people are happy operating a business without it.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Excellent point about earth quakes - never thought about that!!! I was more worrying about the propane tanks as well. I will PM you for the brokers information. Do you think I can use them from the NC?

We have insurance on pretty much everything through Universal, covering theft, fire, hurricane and earthquake damage (which are evidently the biggest risks here as they can wipe you out completely), and most important third party liability - because if there is any sort of accident someone is going to try and sue you. We even cover theft of laptops and solar panels. I use a broker in the capital who is really professional, PM me and I will pass on her details. We have claimed a couple of times, she has managed everything and there has been absolutely no problem getting paid.

You are very sensible to get insurance cover here, given how often things go wrong. I can't believe people are happy operating a business without it.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ha ha yes. It is not all healthy food.

So for example, in the mornings we will serve:

Tim Hortons style breakfast biscuit and bagel sandwiches
Regular breakfast
Fruit plates and yogurt parfaits
Protein shakes and bars etc...

Lunch - wraps, burritos (chipotle inspired), subs, salads and bowls.

Healthy comes in because we have options with: egg whites, turkey bacon and sausage, meatless and no carb sides, meats like grilled chicken, carved turkey, grilled vegetables, tuna; brown rice, oils with reduced fat, reduced sodium etc...

It will primarily a lunch and day food place - closed at 7:30am-7:00pm. Its very much like a La Prep where all the food it out and you can eat in, take to go - fast and affordable. Plates from 150RD-240RD - includes sandwich and side.

We are on the same street as Casa Marina "Dr. Alejo Martinez" near Caf? Bologna, across the street from Infiniti Blue - in the teel green plaza where Mini Market Latino is.

I think we are 1-2 weeks away from being able to open if nothing else comes up =) I tell you I am feeling better now that I used a gringo lawyer. I paid a lot but the lawyer was recommended here and she has handled everything from name, to business registration to permits - thank god that side of things has gone smoothly.

Now I just have last odds and ends to do. We had the security cameras installed yesterday - looking into things like insurance now =)

Thanks so much for the well wishes.

Is this the health restaurant that you asked advice for a few months ago? Hope it goes well!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hey B,

No we are in Sosua and no fried chicken or goat :( -- grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken, turkey, tuna only.

What's your menu going to consist of.............
If you are going to have fried chicken............and Chivo.......
And you are in Santiago...........
I'll be there........:D

I'll be the one sitting alone, eating for 4.........

B in Santiago