Claro Website Misleading

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Hi DR1ers,

I went to Claro yesterday to ask about my bill if I were to change my internet speed. I've been looking on their website for a while and yesterday I decided it was the day to officially get information about it.

If you go here: https://appsec.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/sc/personas/todo-claro/paquetes#info-03a

You can pick what options you like for your plan and it will tell you how much you'd pay with taxes. Oddly though, if you have internet and want to duplicate your speed it does not tell you the price with taxes. I went to Claro's office to get that answered.

I have 400 Minutes abierto and 3MB internet. No TV. I saw in "Detalles" for internet that duplicating my speed from 3MB to 6MB costs RD$400 additional (#4 in the screenshot). Here is the screenshot:

H1h41Kc.png

( the screenshot is getting cutoff, here is a direct link to see it in it's entirety http://i.imgur.com/H1h41Kc.png )

1) 400 Minutes Postpago Abierto

2) 3MB internet

3) Ninguno TV

4) Details for upgrading internet speed

As I was speaking to the gentleman at Claro I explained to him I want to duplicate my internet speeds from 3MB to 6MB for RD$400. I need to know how much that will be on my bill with tax. He automatically clicked on 6MB. I told him no, I do not want that, I would like to have 3MB and pay RD$400 to duplicate my speed. Why did I want it that way? According to their website, 3MB duplicated to 6MB is cheaper than the straight out 6MB plan.

So it gets a little tense because he feels I am assaulting his knowledge of his job. He goes into his spiel of, "if you duplicate 3MB you'll have 5MB." I'm trying to hold my composure and politely explain to him that "duplicating" is the same number twice. Duplicating is NOT adding "2" to a number. Once we got over that (I think I embarrassed him a bit by explaining that) he still wanted to click on 6MB as the plan. I told him, "I'm sorry I don't think you're understanding me can you please get a supervisor."

Supervisor comes over. He explains the situation to her. Her answer? Give me a brochure.

This is where the misleading information is.

In the brochure, to duplicate your speed from 3MB to 6MB the cost is RD$600. What?! It clearly states on their website (which I've been checking for over a month) that the cost is RD$400 to duplicate the speed.

His answer to that was, "human error." I agree, human error is possible. Then I explain to him that human error can also show RD$400 in your brochure and RD$600 on your website. He agrees.

I try to paint a picture for him to see this from my angle. You hear un camioncito pass by your residence frequently for a month. They are saying, "come down to Generic Store where you can receive 2 apples for the price of one." You decide...hey, I want an apple today! I know where I can get 2 for the price of one. :)

You show up at the store and they tell you flat out, "no, that is not what we offer. There was an error."

He understands me now. He calls his bosses boss on the phone. Listening to their conversation (I could only hear him though:tired:) it was him explaining that they need to change the website and nothing about helping me get what they advertise on their webpage.

Long story short, they have a 50% off promotion at the moment. I wasn't getting the RD$400 price no matter how hard I fought for it. I have 2 months of 50% off my bill which makes up for the RD$200 difference over the rest of my contract.

tl;dr Claro doesn't honor their official website.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Claro isn't different than a lot of companies here.............
I have learned that you being right doesn't mean you will get your way..........
It's always about their profits, the majority would never notice these tactics................

B in Santiago

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Obviously you weren't going to get it for 400 if the price is 600. By the way I am paying 600 pesos for duplicating my speed from 3MB to 6MB since three years. In my case I had to take the multi plan with phone internet AND cable to get the duplication for 600 pesos.

The country is misleading, Claro sucks, but this seems a real error to me. The price for duplication changes depending on what plan you use: 200, 400, 800.

If this upsets you by the way......you must be suffering a lot in this country.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Apparently the OP hasn't had much experience dealing with Claro. You can talk with a representative about a particular matter and think you have the answer, but then when you talk with a different representative you get an entirely different answer.

It does not pay to let yourself get upset when dealing with Claro.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Apparently the OP hasn't had much experience dealing with Claro. You can talk with a representative about a particular matter and think you have the answer, but then when you talk with a different representative you get an entirely different answer.

It does not pay to let yourself get upset when dealing with Claro.

It doesn't. That is why I no longer deal with them at all.

Feb 7, 2007
If you click on 6 MBps in cotizador, it is the same price as 3 MBps + 400 pesos (agranda tu velocidad).

Had you let the guy click 6 MBps, you could have been watching youtube videos or Hulu in HD right now ...

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
@eastcoastmike Agreed!

@waytogo That seems to be. I ordered from Punto Delivery and the guy didn't have change on my order. He said, "next time you order ask for me and I will discount the order with the change I owe you." I didn't believe him so we called Punto Delivery and let them know he stayed with the change and we want it deducted from our next order. No problem. Next time we ordered the guy didn't work there anymore. Spoke to a supervisor, "oh yeah he is here but we don't have anything about him staying with your change." This was all after I placed my order. I said forget it and hung up. Next thing I know Punto Delivery is at my door with the order I told them to forget. LOL. They called me yelling, "QUE PODEMOS HACER CON UNA TORTA HELADA!?!??"

@Mauricio That is the whole point. It is advertised at RD$400 so it should be available at RD$400 :rolleyes:

@Ken This is one of the many escapades I've had with Claro. Calling their phone support is even worse!

@JDJones With the 50% discount (for 2 months) I am getting a better deal (now) depending on how long I use Claro's service. I wanted RD$400 because if I stick with their internet for awhile I will be saving money over time.

@rubio_higuey Let's do the math like I did for the Claro rep.

3mb duplicated
400 post pago abierto + 3mb + ninguno tv = $1,675.00

1,675 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,177.50

Now let's add RD$400 to get 6mp

1,675 + 400 = 2075

2,075 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,697.50

6mb straight up
400 post pago abierto + 6mb + ninguno TV = $2,275

$2,275 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,957.50

I'll gladly argue with Claro for an hour if I can save almost US$10 a month for the duration of my service.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
@eastcoastmike Agreed!

@waytogo That seems to be. I ordered from Punto Delivery and the guy didn't have change on my order. He said, "next time you order ask for me and I will discount the order with the change I owe you." I didn't believe him so we called Punto Delivery and let them know he stayed with the change and we want it deducted from our next order. No problem. Next time we ordered the guy didn't work there anymore. Spoke to a supervisor, "oh yeah he is here but we don't have anything about him staying with your change." This was all after I placed my order. I said forget it and hung up. Next thing I know Punto Delivery is at my door with the order I told them to forget. LOL. They called me yelling, "QUE PODEMOS HACER CON UNA TORTA HELADA!?!??"

@Mauricio That is the whole point. It is advertised at RD$400 so it should be available at RD$400 :rolleyes:

@Ken This is one of the many escapades I've had with Claro. Calling their phone support is even worse!

@JDJones With the 50% discount (for 2 months) I am getting a better deal (now) depending on how long I use Claro's service. I wanted RD$400 because if I stick with their internet for awhile I will be saving money over time.

@rubio_higuey Let's do the math like I did for the Claro rep.

3mb duplicated
400 post pago abierto + 3mb + ninguno tv = $1,675.00

1,675 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,177.50

Now let's add RD$400 to get 6mp

1,675 + 400 = 2075

2,075 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,697.50

6mb straight up
400 post pago abierto + 6mb + ninguno TV = $2,275

$2,275 X 1.3 (tax) = $2,957.50

I'll gladly argue with Claro for an hour if I can save almost US$10 a month for the duration of my service.
I know that's the point and that's why they said it's an error.

But then again...don't let these things upset you.....you'll be upset many times, for nothing.

I remember that I would get upset in the supermarket if they would have a big sign selling sugar for 99 pesos. And below it in smaller letters 'por libra'. At the cash register it was 198 pesos. Since I remember most of the prices and follow the cash register to see if the rip me off I claimed they were charging me the normal price instead of the offered discounted price. I was mistaken of course, the bags of sugar weigh 2 pound (and 200 pesos is the normal price of a bag of sugar in that sugar market).

I got mad, but by time you realize it's better to let these things pass and think: at least the sun is shining here.

By the way, the difference is closer to usd5 than usd10

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I know that's the point and that's why they said it's an error.

But then again...don't let these things upset you.....you'll be upset many times, for nothing.

I remember that I would get upset in the supermarket if they would have a big sign selling sugar for 99 pesos. And below it in smaller letters 'por libra'. At the cash register it was 198 pesos. Since I remember most of the prices and follow the cash register to see if the rip me off I claimed they were charging me the normal price instead of the offered discounted price. I was mistaken of course, the bags of sugar weigh 2 pound (and 200 pesos is the normal price of a bag of sugar in that sugar market).

I got mad, but by time you realize it's better to let these things pass and think: at least the sun is shining here.

By the way, the difference is closer to usd5 than usd10

You're right about the $5. I still figure $5 over 12 months gets me a free month!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I don't know what I did right to deserve this..................
Claro told me that because of a lot of people in my area having service with them..........
That they could no longer give me 6mb, that I would have to accept 3mb or no service at all......
They now charge me for 3mb download...........But I am receiving 8.5mb download.........
And it is faaaaaaaaaast...........I now love it when I download.........
They also told me because I only have 3mb, I cannot have HD channels anymore........Go figure.....
I don't think I am going to tell them there is a problem.........lol

B in Santiago I love Claro for their stupidity......

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I don't know what I did right to deserve this..................
Claro told me that because of a lot of people in my area having service with them..........
That they could no longer give me 6mb, that I would have to accept 3mb or no service at all......
They now charge me for 3mb download...........But I am receiving 8.5mb download.........
And it is faaaaaaaaaast...........I now love it when I download.........
They also told me because I only have 3mb, I cannot have HD channels anymore........Go figure.....
I don't think I am going to tell them there is a problem.........lol

B in Santiago I love Claro for their stupidity......

You're the same one that had the issue trying to setup Tricom right?

I think you got the lucky side of the coin!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
You're the same one that had the issue trying to setup Tricom right?

I think you got the lucky side of the coin!

Yep, and a salesman from Tricom came to my house last week trying to sell me service again.............
I told him......buena suerte.......bye......

B in Santiago