Possible Change In When PC Closed To Traffic?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

From 1 June, the main Pedro Clisante is closed to traffic in the evenings. That means that the restaurants can put their tables out on the street and that the guests are not bothered by the noise and exhaust fumes of motor taxis. This appears to be a huge improvement for the restaurant and bar owners and for the visitors to the Pedro Clisante. On a Saturday nights when something is organized in the street, for example a performance of a good band, then it sure is an improvement. Then the tables and chairs are out and guests can eat, drink and enjoy themselves. Then there is a friendly atmosphere and the bar and restaurant owners profit from it. But on the other nights, the street is deserted, and it seems, according to some 'Bagdad by night' though. Now the entrepreneurs would like to discuss when it is desired to close the street to traffic with the local authorities.

On weekday evenings, they agree that the street may be open to traffic again. Then the visitors can park their cars again close to the restaurant or bar. That was the complaint that many regular visitors of the nightlife came up with. Now we have to wait for the consideration of the municipal administration.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Mmmmm....
Do you think there is any connection between (may be)..
-driving the Chicas and Mongers away
and
-empty streets at night?

And the City Admin thinks reopening the street for Vehicular traffic will fix this!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mmmmm....
Do you think there is any connection between (may be)..
-driving the Chicas and Mongers away
and
-empty streets at night?

And the City Admin thinks reopening the street for Vehicular traffic will fix this!

The administration in Santo Domingo (The Attorney General of the DR) is the one who wants to reduce the prostitution in the DR. So you can take up your issues with him.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The administration in Santo Domingo (The Attorney General of the DR) is the one who wants to reduce the prostitution in the DR. So you can take up your issues with him.

Come on...there is way more prostitution in the rest of the DR than there is in Sosua. They want to reduce the visible prostitution.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Come on...there is way more prostitution in the rest of the DR than there is in Sosua. They want to reduce the visible prostitution.

No doubt. But the tourist areas do get the focus since that is the source of the reputation.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here we go again, doesn't everyone get tired of talking about prostitution in Sosua? I can't be the only one.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I think this would be a step backward. Pedestrian streets are good for all tourism. If they want to transition from crowd that this is not chicas and men only to a mixed tourist location, you have to accept that there will be a downturn as the reputation changes. They'd be better off sticking with one course of action.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Most of us owners in the restaurant section of PC want the street closed as it is now, but opened when it rains. There are other owners who are negative to any change and refuse to adapt...those are the ones not gaining any new business. Yes, saturday night is busy cause that's when the events are planned. The events need to be spreadout over the week, but again it's hard to organize stuff when there is no direction or communication from the municipal admistration.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Most of us owners in the restaurant section of PC want the street closed as it is now, but opened when it rains. There are other owners who are negative to any change and refuse to adapt...those are the ones not gaining any new business. Yes, saturday night is busy cause that's when the events are planned. The events need to be spreadout over the week, but again it's hard to organize stuff when there is no direction or communication from the municipal admistration.

Why not plan something on your own? A mid-week street fair? Food sample tasting? Dance contest? The newspaper would post it, and post some flyers. Could you get 8 or 10 businesses to set up in the street?

You've got tons of bars and restaurants and they're the best draw, but also clothing shops, diving, cigar, builders, realtors (I said the R word). Encourage them to set up a table. The cost is nothing. It might even pay to hire an enthusiastic gal to go around and sign businesses owners up the first few times.

What happens to that fancy stage during the week? Maybe a mid-week band? Just some thoughts.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Here we go again, doesn't everyone get tired of talking about prostitution in Sosua? I can't be the only one.

If people want to talk about it, why not? It's their choice. But this thread is about closing the street and I for one, find it much better with the street closed, any night of the week.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always thought it should just be weekends the street is closed.
Who are these people who complain about parking and walking? Seriously can people not walk a block or two?! It would do most of us good who live here to get more exercise! Are people scared to walk or what?

We're not all young whippersnappers like you Harley :)

Reminds me of my mother, whose name was Mary. She would have Dad drive around a parking lot forever, just waiting for that perfect spot near the door, even if it took 15 minutes. They're both gone now, RIP, but whenever we get a parking spot right near the entrance to anywhere either me or Mr. AE says "Wow, we got a Mary-Spot!"

We're not all young whippersnappers like you Harley :)

Reminds me of my mother, whose name was Mary. She would have Dad drive around a parking lot forever, just waiting for that perfect spot near the door, even if it took 15 minutes. They're both gone now, RIP, but whenever we get a parking spot right near the entrance to anywhere either me or Mr. AE says "Wow, we got a Mary-Spot!"

Ok fair enough for people with disabilities etc or older but I know some of these people complaining and they are just lazy!! I do try and get a close parking spot too bc I feel it's gold when a really good one happens lol!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Great news for the motoconchos and chulos of Sosua who will again be crowned kings of PC:disappoin And let's not forget that now the chicas can just step off a moto and take 4 steps into Classicos. Life was really tough for them having to walk 100 yrd from the corner of Rosen.:D

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Why not plan something on your own? A mid-week street fair? Food sample tasting? Dance contest? The newspaper would post it, and post some flyers. Could you get 8 or 10 businesses to set up in the street?

You've got tons of bars and restaurants and they're the best draw, but also clothing shops, diving, cigar, builders, realtors (I said the R word). Encourage them to set up a table. The cost is nothing. It might even pay to hire an enthusiastic gal to go around and sign businesses owners up the first few times.

What happens to that fancy stage during the week? Maybe a mid-week band? Just some thoughts.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

We've been planning on our own, doing, but there are only about 6 businesses that are playing ball....and us 6 are reaping the rewards. The others rather complain. It will come together, but we need more support from the municipality and the other businesses. Next saturday...the Dropouts (rock music) will be playing in the street. :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if the street is deserted at night wouldn't it be better to close it during the day? at whatever time is busiest for restaurants?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Ok fair enough for people with disabilities etc or older but I know some of these people complaining and they are just lazy!! I do try and get a close parking spot too bc I feel it's gold when a really good one happens lol!

2 things. I want to park where I can see my vehicle. Too many times drunks & concho's side-swipe parked vehicles and take off. At least you have a chance if it's within sound and sight. And depending where you have parked - running the gauntlet of street vermin is not always appealing.