Why Everyone is Talking About DR

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Cayo Levantado in Saman? Bay is sometimes marketed as "Bacardi island" and tourists are told that the classic Bacardi TV adverts were filmed there, which may actually be true.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
"The Bacardi Island" is Freeport, Bahamas.

The Bacardi family, Cubans, fled Cuba with their Spanish passports to the U.S. when Fidel took power. Some of the boys returned to dynamite the factories they left behind. Their new headquarters in Puerto Rico allow them to skip U.S. Liqour Tax on every bottle. All they have there, unless it's changed in the last few years, is a pilot bottling plant which gives tours to the cruise ship passengers.

Freeport has their distilleries, and the molasses comes in by tankers from Guiana.

You want real rum, try Dominican . . . or Nicaraguan . . .

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good article about the DR, not sure I agree with the "Bacardi Island" part of the article, I think the writer has her rum or her islands mixed up.

Why Everyone Is Talking About... Dominican Republic

No, what she said true that Bacardi Rum shot some ads on Cayo Leventado and it got a nick name of Bacardi Island. Also, I am not sure where she got that Presidente Beer is Spanish. Do they have this brand in Spain. As far as I know it is Dominican Beer? Otherwise , good press for the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bacardi came from Puerto Rico to shoot?

One island over another...... huh.... interesting

a feather in the RD hat..................

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bacardi came from Puerto Rico to shoot?

One island over another...... huh.... interesting

a feather in the RD hat..................
True or not, it's a spiel that's peddled to tourists as a way of marketing Cayo Levantado. The writer took it at face value.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ah, you heard my skepticism.....

Local lore, as we say.??

No it is true. There is, or at least used to be, a palm tree on Cayo Levantado that grew straight up for a short distance than made a 90 degree turn toward the sea. That palm was in some of the early ads. Don't know if it still is or not

I lived in Samana from mid 80s to late 90s and everyone knew the ads were shot on the island.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Makes me wonder if the author has ever been here, or just posted some stuff of the "WEB"????????
ALSO, it's from the "HUFF POST", not a noted source of TRUTH!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The only part that she got wrong info is about the whale santuary that she said recently, when Juaquin Balaguer was president of the Dominican Rep. he signed the decret declaring that part humpback whale santuary.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Makes me wonder if the author has ever been here, or just posted some stuff of the "WEB"????????
ALSO, it's from the "HUFF POST", not a noted source of TRUTH!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Wow - you really don't like to see anything positive about the DR. And for me I would rather trust the Huffington Post than many other "news" journals.
(Stands by for an avalanche of cynicism from CC and his supporters!)