Return to the UK

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
My Dominican wife and I would like to return to the UK. We have been married for 5 years now. My father recently visited us and as offered us the use of his holiday home in the UK.He has also said that he would be a sponsor for my wife so that we could return together permanently.
I have contacted ukvi-international.faq-help.com and asked direct questions but keep getting indirect answers. Does anyone know if my Dad in the UK can Sponsor my Dominican wife so we can go home to the UK. Or where i can find definite information on the type of visa i need for my wife.
I thank you in advance.
CS.

richardhussey

Feb 14, 2009
No. I know that i can sponsor my wife myself if i have been there for 6 months and earn 18500 pounds. Its difficult to secure a position of employment whilst here.
Thats why my dad has said he would sponsor her.

donP

Dec 14, 2008

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you do not have a job then it will be massively unlikely. In Feb 2012 rules changed that made things very difficult for parents to act as sponsor. Nothing to stop you doing some of the legwork, like English test and hope the rules change again. They do change. But a friend of mine tried to do what you are proposing, and he had wife and child. His parents were prepared to pu up ?75,000, and he still failed as he had no job, and she can't work for 6 months and so you would be liable to the government which they don't want for Brits. If however you had come from Iran with 12 kids and no relation in the UK you would instantly be welcomed with a house and ?50,000 in benefits.

UK sucks when it comes to our rights.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My Dominican wife and I would like to return to the UK. We have been married for 5 years now. My father recently visited us and as offered us the use of his holiday home in the UK.He has also said that he would be a sponsor for my wife so that we could return together permanently.
I have contacted ukvi-international.faq-help.com and asked direct questions but keep getting indirect answers. Does anyone know if my Dad in the UK can Sponsor my Dominican wife so we can go home to the UK. Or where i can find definite information on the type of visa i need for my wife.
I thank you in advance.
CS.

Is this for real !!!!
Shameful !!!
U cant take ure wife of 5 years back to the UK ????
I would be going bonkers !!!!!!

No wonder we Scots are going to vote YES in 2 weeks !!!! ( well we will see, and I dont vote.....).

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
Same thing in the US. If you are from anyplace other the US walk across the border and welcome to free everything.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you are legally married and have the necessary paperwork there is no problem getting a UK visa.
Just apply online and follow the protocols.
You must be patient, it all goes via NY to UK then back.Allow plenty of time and use the follow-up number they give you.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If you are legally married and have the necessary paperwork there is no problem getting a UK visa.
You must be patient, it all goes via NY to UK then back.Allow plenty of time and use the follow-up number they give you.

No, this advice is totally wrong. The immigration rules changed in 2012 and you now need to prove that you can support your wife. I really think you are crazy asking for advice on a forum like this. What you need is an immigration lawyer who is based in the UK, knows the law and can give you accurate advice. If you try to do this on the cheap and just go with advice from people on a forum like this, who really don't have the expertise you need, then your wife is likely to be refused entry. And having been refused entry, the next time she applies it will be much much harder.

I would suggest you get your father to spend some of his money on getting some legal advice for you in the UK, use a firm who only do immigration, it will probably cost about ?1500 to do a spouse visa application, but you will maximise your chances of getting your wife in.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
To the OP. Why not check out the rules in other Schengen zone countries ???
Phone, say the french embassy. "Hi, I am british currently living in the dr, I am planning to relocate back to europe. I would prefer living in ure beautiful country rather than damp humid UK..... ok, great, thanks. Oh, by the way my wife is a dominican citizen...". Who knows ????
If the law turns out to be softer, say in france, spend a couple of weeks/months and work it out from there.

Just an alcohol induced thought.........

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
.... Or where i can find definite information on the type of visa i need for my wife.

Have you read the posts in the Visa forum? There are some threads from Brits that might give you the answers to your questions, or who may personally be willing to offer help if you contact them.

Alexandradebrian

Jun 8, 2013
Spouse Visa

Absolute balderdash. Firstly, your Father cannot, repeat cannot sponsor your Wife. You are the only one who can do that. You have to prove : You have an annual income of at least ?18,600.00 per annum. You have to prove this with payslips. You must have had the job for at least 6 Months, if employed and at least 1 Year if self-employed. If the latter, at least 1 annual tax return with the receipt from HM Tax Authority. In addition, your Wife has to prove, with the certificate, that she has passed the KET exam which is set by Cambridge University. There are many other provisos, the fact you are married bears no effect. The application is decided in Jamaica. It took us nearly two Years to get the Spouse Visa. Not easy and getting more difficult. They are looking for reasons to deny rather than approve.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
all this trouble now..if ?in the beginning you had gotten a sweetheart visa , married in the uk, the visas would be in place..yes?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
My mistake.

I didn't realise that this was for a resident spouse visa. The one I did for my son's wife last year was a 10 year visitor's visa which was straightforward, as long as the husband sponsors the wife.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It has mostly been said above. You apply online here https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa
You need to be working in the UK and earning at least 18,600 pounds or have savings of 65,000 pounds.
She must pass an English Test which she can sit in Santo Domingo.
Why don't you join the UK Spouses Facebook page and you can get all the help you need there from people who have been through it or are going through it https://www.facebook.com/groups/492074790913129/

Matilda

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
My mistake.

I didn't realise that this was for a resident spouse visa. The one I did for my son's wife last year was a 10 year visitor's visa which was straightforward, as long as the husband sponsors the wife.

I can't understand your post, you did it but he sponsored her, so what exactly did you do? On a 10 year visitor visa the longest you can stay each visit is 6 months each visit (and they are very expensive), and you can not change visa type or marital status over those 10 years. Or do I have it wrong, I don't think I do.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
If the OP is returning to the UK as the title suggests, then he needs a settlement visa, not a visitor visa. And malko, the UK is not one of the Schengen countries. If the OP decided to live anywhere else in Europe outside the UK, he could exercise his EU Treaty Rights and bring his spouse with him, and this is relatively easy (but again, take proper legal advice). So, for example, he could go and live in Spain or France or Bulgaria and he is legally entitled to live and work there with no restriction and also bring his wife with him. But he can't do this in the UK because he is a UK national.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I can't understand your post, you did it but he sponsored her, so what exactly did you do? On a 10 year visitor visa the longest you can stay each visit is 6 months each visit (and they are very expensive), and you can not change visa type or marital status over those 10 years. Or do I have it wrong, I don't think I do.

My son was on long assignment in the UK and the wife here in DR and he wanted her to visit him in UK. I did the application for her as her English is marginal and acted as agent for the applicant. My son sponsored her visit and it mostly went to plan.They gave her the 10 year multiple entry visa as she had already visited the UK on a visa before.

She went for the interview which was OK and then we waited for ages to get the visa.They informed us that the passport was being processed in New York which was the cause of the delay.The passport was delivered late so she missed the first flight booking to UK.
She had a very nice holiday and enjoyed the UK.

Happy now?