The mother of all storms......

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
While I was reading AE posts on deslinde and titles, the sky turned dark and unloaded a torrent of rain...... I mean something dreadful.......
I ran around closing windows and doors ( and there are loads of them......).
Opened one of the guest rooms ( which I never do.....) and there was half a cm of water on the floor. Opened its bathroom door ( yeah bad idea.....), a ankle deep river came flowing out...... ran outside to the balcony of that room ( upstairs.... ), evacuation tube was clogged. Unclogged it and swept away the water. Went back down with a bucket and mop. Mopped up.

Lightning, thunder, loads of rain. I hear the chickens very near the walls, to near. Run out to the conuco. Banana tree fell and knocked down a portion of the fence that keeps the chickens in. Run back, lock up the big dogs, fetch a hammer and some nails.
Run back and put out some corn. All but 2 came baxk into their pen. Small dog rounded up the last 2 who had wondered off into the jungle. ( sorry cubbie for all the times I said u serve no purpose.....).

35 assorted banana trees knocked down:mad:.
1 new mango tree and 2 new avocado trees, knocked down by the bannana trees.....:mad:
Cut off the platano that were already "yeno", full if I understand correctly. 5 racimientos. One of them had 67 platano on it !!!!!
Wrapped the ones that werent ready in bannana leaves ( it actually does work )......
Picked up over 40 avocados that were knocked off diffrent trees......

Crossed the road to inlaws house to give them platanos and some avocados. Helped clear stones and bannana trees of the road.....
Tomorrow I will work in the conuco, salvage operation......

For now I am going to fry some chicken ( the least they can do for me.....:classic: ).

Just another day in the campo.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
It's pouring here in Santiago also..............
My street is flooded............

B in Santiago

malko

Jan 12, 2013
It's pouring here in Santiago also..............
My street is flooded............

B in Santiago

It only lasted an hour, now it is just normal rain, which floods the roads anyway......
I was thinking of building an Ark........

malko

Jan 12, 2013
No water crisis!

There lies the problem !!!! The earth is so dry from lack,of rain, that the water just flows down it ( I am in the hills ) carrying away the topsoil.....

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Well it is interesting - in the last two days we have had 3.6 inches of Rain between Cabarete and Sosua but as of the end of August there was still a deficit of over 20% rainfall on the Year to date.

About 0.5 inches today so far.

This is a typical tropical Wave giving about 2 to 3 inches of rain on the north coast. and Bred - it will not stop the probelm of the water shortage here on the North coast but it will help.

Olly and the Team

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, it was ridiculous. The driveway filled with water, and started pouring into the cistern that I just cleaned! But, after having to buy way to many water trucks, I ain't complain'

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
malko, we need to be friends. i'll trade you some brugal for those razimos, how about that? and i have books, hit me up when you are in POP again.
about rain, we are so damn lucky on the NC, never a hurricane, never a bad ass storm. some rain is ok, even if it feels apocalyptic. we get much less whoompf here that south coast or cibao.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I hate bananas here !!!!!!!!! I love "normal "bananas that we get in europe !!!!!!
Here there is all diffrent sorts...... platanos, I am no fan, guineo (??), beurghhh, the small ones, they are great maduro.......
The thing is when I first came to the dr ( long story but I kept putting back every year when I first met with my wife in europe........ thought every lived in a wooden shack on the beach......:classic: ), I inherited of a conuco full of banana trees..... but like dozens and dozens......
Of course inlaws would just help themselves...... (everyone lives across the road.....). But of course one just cuts the trunc halfway up, cut off the razimento...... of course everyone explains that is the way it is done.......yeah right. Inlaws lost their banana income......
They had ample warning, I threatened to cut every thing down numerous times....

One important thing, one needs to know is that bananas produce a TON of waste...... it sheds leaves faster than u can cut them. There again people will tell u thats the way it is..... the trees look like they are wearing a skirt of dead leaves...... not very appealing so u spend ure time runni g arou d cutting them off ( yeah ok, I am a maniac.....).

Then of course a mango tree or a black berry bush give fruit every year....... a bannana tree gives one razimento and that is that.....
What do I do with dozens and dozens of mouldy, stinking dead trees...... full of creepy crawlies........
And do t get me going on compost..... it is a nightmare organisation......

And they stain !!!!!! Something terrible and smelly...... u need to scrub it off ure skin...... and no known technic to man will get it off ure clothes (but somehow certain woman do.....).

And if u want them to stop growing all over the place, one needs to take a pick axe to the roots...... and dig and dig and dig......

Gradually I have harnessed the problem..... closed the conuco with mailla de leche and barbed wire fence, campo style. Keeps the inlaws and looters out. And lets the dogs have free run of the whole grounds. Managed to convince my wife to plant more mango and avocado trees.......
Managed also to turn one quarter of conuco into a flower garden...... Another piece into hen houses......another piece into a vegetable garden ( well tryimg at least......).
I will manage to eradicate the bananas !!!!!! Well no I wont because everyone is grateful for platanos and guineos ( diabetixs can eat guineos, apparently...... ).
But I at least hope to regroup them and line them more or less up.....

I would certainly enjoy meetimg u dv8. No garantie when though........ my wife is off visiting my family in europe and I hate driving in the city ( and I am still waiting for my residency to come through so technically I cant drive.....). So carro publico is my friend now,,,, and cheaper too.
But will be sure to bring over a couple of razimentos next time I come in the SUv........bit only if u make coffee...... at my advanced age I ve laid off the booze.....
:classic:

Sorry for the anti-banana rant.........:classic:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Mother paid us another visit in PC/Bavaro area. She was raging for about an hour. Still lingering rain now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry for the anti-banana rant.........:classic:

I loved your rant. You and my husband would get along well. He laughed about your lining up the banana trees - that's one of his pet peeves. Our caretaker plants trees helter-skelter, and he hates that. They fight about it all the time. Not only does it look terrible, it's much easier to irrigate if they're in nice rows [our property is highest at the front, and then dips towards the rear, so we have irrigation tubes along the front area and the water runs all the way back].

We also had the cactus & barbed wire fencing all around, little by little we're removing it and replacing it with block walls, but it takes forever to enclose 15 tareas. We spend $4-5,000USD a year extending the wall, still a longggg way to go. If we ever win the lottery, we'll finish it in one fell swoop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
malko would get along well with miesposo too. banana tree is their common enemy. we have them in the garden too and we need someone to dig them out. i keep cutting them down but a new one springs up before you blink. the area around is always moist and mosquitoes love it. and those f**kers are never properly grounded, a fart of the wind will take'em down. except for when you need to cut one after harvesting razimo.

malko, we have breville espresso machine, hope you will like the coffee. let me know when you get down to POP again.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
malko, we have breville espresso machine, hope you will like the coffee. let me know when you get down to POP again.[/QUOTE]

I could not resist the question even that has nothing to do with storm. Where can you buy espressobeans for your machine?????

Last edited: