washing machine dilemma

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a large washing machine, top loading, with this shi**y thingummy in the middle. i hate it with passion and i believe it keeps on ripping our clothing, no bueno. i am used to front loading machines which are not popular here at all. we are thinking of bringing a new washing machine so i checked best buy and was stunned by both prices and a number of complains in reviews.

let me say that i have never had any issues with front loading machines in europe. never ever. are the machines for american market worse quality? people are not used to them? and finally, what to buy? top loading without the thingy? front loading? what brands?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Front Loader

...top loading without the thingy? front loading? what brands?

Top loaders are available here.
Contactos
About 12 years ago we bought one there (SD), brand was Fagor (Spanish).
Not German quality, though (Miele, Bauknecht)...

donP

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Top loaders are available here.
Contactos
About 12 years ago we bought one there (SD), brand was Fagor (Spanish).
Not German quality, though (Miele, Bauknecht)...

donP

Good Link, didn't realize they were also in Santiago...........
Need a new Fridge and Stove..........
Will definitely check out........

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
we have a large washing machine, top loading, with this shi**y thingummy in the middle. i hate it with passion and i believe it keeps on ripping our clothing, no bueno. i am used to front loading machines which are not popular here at all. we are thinking of bringing a new washing machine so i checked best buy and was stunned by both prices and a number of complains in reviews.

let me say that i have never had any issues with front loading machines in europe. never ever. are the machines for american market worse quality? people are not used to them? and finally, what to buy? top loading without the thingy? front loading? what brands?

Front loaders have been very popular in the US for a longgggg time. I'd never go back to a top-loader. HOWEVER...... I've never seen one that doesn't have an electronic programmer, not a good idea for DR. We have a Whirlpool Duet washer and gas dryer set, with the pedestal bases [great for storage too], and I love them. BUT.... when we had the washer about 3 months, we had a power failure [yes, in NJ], not long, one of those short ones that happens when someone hits an electrical pole]. When the electric came back on it zapped my electronic board. I was lucky, it was still under warranty, the serviceman who came out to replace the board said they cost over $500 [just the board]. Years have passed, no other issues.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a front loader in Cabrera - works well for me but I have no power supply issues (private solar)

front loaders spin clothes dryer... less time on the line

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005

Presume you mean the paddle (rotating thingummy in top loaders).....problem with front loaders in places where electricity is not reliable, is that if you have a long outage in mid-cycle you can't open the door to get your stuff out, and even if you could...you would have a floor under an inch or two of soapy water....otherwise another advantage of front loaders is that you can use the top surface, have it under-counter or stack a dryer on top.......

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
They have the new Samsung Inverter front loader on sale here in Santiago, the big store that shares the plaza with Nacional on Juan Pablo Duarte. The price is $59.500

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In europe I never had any problems with washing machines either...... I used a front loading one ( with the clear plastic bubble thar inables u to sit and watch ure clothes go round and round :nervous: ). 140 €, worked for 7 years........

Here i the dr I use a combo of dominican style machine ( cos u can work it on the inverser....), and one of those high capacity washer/dryer US style...... the water pressure is not sufficient without the pump running, so....... the b3and is "frigidaire heavy load super capacity....".
It works fine and is big enough for pillows and bed covers, so thats cool. I bought them used in the US ( 2 for the price of one.....), real cheap and shipped them over years ago ( friend of us was sending a container so popped them in....).

Electricians here actually know how to repair them. Yeah cos in the times where I had a maid, I didnt specifically tell her that even modern washing machines use water to wash........( see reason #61A, paragraph 2 of "why not to have a maid".......:angry:)
?
So in my experience, for the price of a crappy dom machine, u can get one shipped over from the US ( or even europe )

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I know my wife really liked the machine we had in Europe. Front loader, everything digital to be set, I think the brand was Miele. However for several reasons we chose a simpler one here.
1. The electricity problem - computerized equipment damages fast with the electricity coming and going
2. The electricity cost - I think those machines heat the water themselves which raises the cost of running them
3. The woman that operates the machine - She isn't doing the laundry herself, the laundry lady will damage the machine even faster than they damage faucets, abanicos, fridges, estufas, hornos, etc.

So we chose a combi washing and drying machine. I think the brand is frigidaire. The dryer is on gas, the washer on electricity (front loader(so without the stupid stick in the middle that does damage clothes).

Using it for almost 5 years now and not really had problems, except for the buttons that one maid manage to break.

Still, it's nothing like a laundry machine in Europe, with which I even knew how to do laundry.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have used American made top loaders, "Maytag", possibly the best, and when it rusted apart, I got another White Westinghouse top loader.
We wash clothes here for 8 people!!!!!!
MANY,MANY loads per week!
The maid ALWAYS overloads it!
No "Ripped" clothes, no problems.
I NEVER buy any appliance with "Digital Controls" if I can still find one with manual.
Usually the "cheap models"!
BESIDES, a polish woman should be washing the clothes by hand!

and not too often!

Because,:::::::::::::::::

How does a Polish girl put on her "Pantis"??????????
YELLOW in front, BROWN in back!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"LG" for one, makes several models of "Top Loaders" with no "POST" in the drum.
"Plaza Lama" has MANY!!!!!!

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I would also steer you away from the front loader. Especially in this climate the rubber gasket gets moldy and clean clothes end up stinking from the mold not to mention the bacteria lurking in your machine. The new machines have too many computer parts to make any repairs locally unlikely. My daughter in law has a top rated LG front loader and had a moldy gasket within months of use and with planned obsolescence the drum came loose from the machine and can't be repaired. If you don't mind the mold & the sound of a jet engine as it runs its a great machine!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what is this gasket you speak of? the thingy for putting washing powder and such? in the washing machines sold in poland you can take that out and clean it, no problemo.

few clarifications: i am the only person doing the laundry here, maids are not allowed to touch the machines or hang out anything to dry. and i actually long for a machine that uses hot water. this cold water laundry is worth s**t and a reason why our formerly white towels look like polish woman's panties: grayish yellow.

we have surge protectors and stuff like that, would that make it any better? also our dryer has electric display and the fridge is of a fancy type and so far so good. normally i'd give myself the same advice as all of you: simple is better. but i'm kinda pi**ed off here. i want easy laundry in hot water, without having to stay put by the machine in order to put in softener.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We've had top loaders my entire life, and never a problem with ripped clothes or other issues.

Agree about only cold water.

I'm curious: is there a market in the DR for a high-end electric clothes dryer? I have one just sitting here, unused...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
what is this gasket you speak of? the thingy for putting washing powder and such? in the washing machines sold in poland you can take that out and clean it, no problemo.

few clarifications: i am the only person doing the laundry here, maids are not allowed to touch the machines or hang out anything to dry. and i actually long for a machine that uses hot water. this cold water laundry is worth s**t and a reason why our formerly white towels look like polish woman's panties: grayish yellow.

we have surge protectors and stuff like that, would that make it any better? also our dryer has electric display and the fridge is of a fancy type and so far so good. normally i'd give myself the same advice as all of you: simple is better. but i'm kinda pi**ed off here. i want easy laundry in hot water, without having to stay put by the machine in order to put in softener.

Rayito is ure friend in the dr for white clothes washing.......... whiter than white......
Small blue packets of powder.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

When you open the door on a front load washer, there is a rubber gasket that seals the washer/keeps the water from leaking out. Abuela is right, they're "touchy". I never, ever close my washer door after removing the wash, I leave the door open to air dry the inside. If you get that moldy/stinky smell, your goose is cooked, very hard to get rid of it. I also do all my colored loads first, and end with the white clothes, because the bleach also sanitizes the machine. Last week I found an errant sock stuck inside the gasket, yuck, so you also have to think about that.

I'm like you. No one touches my washer in DR. Or hangs out our clothes.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have used American made top loaders, "Maytag", possibly the best, and when it rusted apart, I got another White Westinghouse top loader.
We wash clothes here for 8 people!!!!!!
MANY,MANY loads per week!
The maid ALWAYS overloads it!
No "Ripped" clothes, no problems.
I NEVER buy any appliance with "Digital Controls" if I can still find one with manual.
Usually the "cheap models"!
BESIDES, a polish woman should be washing the clothes by hand!

and not too often!

Because,:::::::::::::::::

How does a Polish girl put on her "Pantis"??????????
YELLOW in front, BROWN in back!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"LG" for one, makes several models of "Top Loaders" with no "POST" in the drum.
"Plaza Lama" has MANY!!!!!!

Great info.. but why go the extra mile with the really unneccessary and base "Polish joke"? Particularly since the OP is Polish? Do you not see how that might offend? Or is it just your fixation on women's panties and privates that you seem to have to mention in every post?

Just pointing it out for you so you can see it. Hey, maybe you are just not aware because of the company you keep.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Not sure if that can help you dv8, but i bought this washer here in DR a few months ago and its working really great( really good review online ), bought it at la sirena when there was a 2 day sale 25% off on everything, i think regular price is 50k pesos, not a big difference vs buying it online and getting it shipped.

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SpecPage&Sku=GFWH1200HWW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm ok with polish jokes. if polaks were normal there wouldn't be any jokes about us, amirite? :laugh:

thanks for an explanation about gasket, never had issues with this back in europe but it's not quite as humid there. no problem leaving the door open, laundry room is big.

rayito does not work as advertised :( the only thing that can save my towels is hot water. yeah, i know i could give them to some dominicana who'd boil them in bleach and make 'em white again but for the love of god, it's a towel, not real estate investment.

MA, the machine looks. probably a bit more than i want to pay. did you have any issues with it so far?