Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Industry and commerce minister and chicken

So Josť de Castillo, minister of industry and commerce, is worried about the increase in the price of chicken.
    His solution........eat fish and other low priced alternative protein sources......

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/loc...ustry-Commerce

When was the last time that minister bought himself some fish on the market ???

I bought some "cottora" (??), blue tinted fish, delicious, cheaper than merou. 85 pesos la lb after negotiating.......
    How does that make it cheaper than chicken ????

On another hand, I raise chicken. Without speaking of the time and energy spent, corn and vitamins are not cheap.....
    I always wonder how they manage to sell chicken so cheap.

People are always wanting to buy some of my chicken, but even at 50 pesos la lb, I LOOSE money ( so of course I dont sell them ).
    Any thoughts ???
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 09-09-2014 at 08:52 AM. Reason: fixed link

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he wants everyone to grab a fishing pole and go catch the fish?

Yesterday I read that chicken growers kill thousands of chicks to keep the price up - now today they are denying the story.

Admin
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Easy to say, when you don't have to worry about it. El PLD doesn't care about los pobres of this country at all.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Maybe he wants everyone to grab a fishing pole and go catch the fish?

Yesterday I read that chicken growers kill thousands of chicks to keep the price up - now today they are denying the story.
    But at less than 40 pesos/lb for chicken, it seems cheap to me....... it costs me more than that just to feed a single chicken....... ( well it would if I didnt grow my own corn...). What do they feed them ??

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    But at less than 40 pesos/lb for chicken, it seems cheap to me....... it costs me more than that just to feed a single chicken....... ( well it would if I didnt grow my own corn...). What do they feed them ??
    Less than 40 pesos/lb? Where are you shopping? The article I read said 65 pesos/lb. is going rate. Fresh chicken at La Sirena in May was about 50-53 pesos/lb, frozen was lower. In our campo, the colmados charged 50 pesos/lb.

Admin
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Less than 40 pesos/lb? Where are you shopping? The article I read said 65 pesos/lb. is going rate. Fresh chicken at La Sirena in May was about 50-53 pesos/lb, frozen was lower. In our campo, the colmados charged 50 pesos/lb.
    There is a local "pollero" down the road. 45 pesos, la lb cleaned. Less than 40 alive. It is the white gringa chicken. "Dominican" chicken are more expensive ( the ones they sell from the back of a truck.....).
    Friday I bought 1000 pesos worth of chicken at said pollero. I cant remember the exact weight,. But got 6 chicken and they threw in a lb of hidalgo as a bonus

I also bought a whole bag of corn ( crops arent sufficent yet....). 1100 pesos for a 100 lb ( or maybe 120lb...). Anyway I go through just under 2 bags a month, not counting all the vegetables and others that I also feed them. ( probably 100 assorted chickens in diffrent stages of evolution....).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

1. i read the article about killing chickens, it was in el nacional: Granjeros mataron dos millones pollitos para subir precios -

2. today they say it's heat. because normally summers in DR are cold, right: Alto precio del pollo se debe a escasez por el calor - DiarioLibre.com

3. maybe the minister meant paco fish

4. i think that what malko is saying is that it is impossible to keep the chicken price under 40 pesos, not that he buys it at that price. (and malko just corrected me )

Rest In Peace Lindsay
    Post Thanks / Like

My local colmado has stopped selling chicken at the high price as no one can afford it. And yes dv8 people are living off pacofee and salami. Locrio de pacofee one day and locrio de salami the next. Delish, not.

Matilda

9. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    1. i read the article about killing chickens, it was in el nacional: Granjeros mataron dos millones pollitos para subir precios -

2. today they say it's heat. because normally summers in DR are cold, right: Alto precio del pollo se debe a escasez por el calor - DiarioLibre.com

3. maybe the minister meant paco fish

4. i think that what malko is saying is that it is impossible to keep the chicken price under 40 pesos, not that he buys it at that price. (and malko just corrected me )

I confirm that the heat has killed a couple of my chickens this summer...... locals nearly had me convinced it was Chikunkuya
    Set up one of those black net thingys to keep them out of direct sunlight.....

P.s. a chicken farm last year ( when they couldnt sell to haiti.....), cleared his warehouse out. 100 pesos cada pollo...... unbeatable.... I just thimk it is impossible to make money, there has to be state hand outs/subventions or something...... or they are all fronts for drug buisness...

The only way I can cut my losses is by selling the eggs. Dominicans are fond of the big "local brand" eggs as opposed to the "gringa" ones.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    My local colmado has stopped selling chicken at the high price as no one can afford it. And yes dv8 people are living off pacofee and salami. Locrio de pacofee one day and locrio de salami the next. Delish, not.
    i don't think you understood. i meant that to the minister paco fish is the fish he spoke of because sure as hell fish ain't cheap. i ate paco fish. it's ok. fried with onion and some tomato paste and served over boiled bananas? nice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast