Camera At Immigration Broken

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suppose it was bound to happen someday.

Got to Immigration just before it opened this morning. All going well until about 10 am when I was called to Caja 3 and asked to pay RD$8000. I said mas RD$1000 por VIP. ?No, the gal said, handing me my a receipt, the camera is broken, come back Monday.

I don't recall this being mentioned before, but there are 2 rows of windows. 4 on the left side of the door you go through to get photo taken, very close to where you get your number, and more on the other side. As far as I could tell this morning, all the activity re residency renewal took place in the 4 windows, especially caja 3. A sign indicate caja 1 was where you pay for medical exam, but I didn't need that,

I think somebody one time mentioned bringing 2 photo copies each of your residency card, cedula, and information page of the passport. If you don't have the copies when you ask for your number you will have to go to another window to have the copies made before you are given a number.

Possibly those who have had residency for less time than I have need copies of more the above mentioned. But whatever you need, having them when you go for your number will keep you from falling a spots back in the line.

No question the place is much, much better organized than in the past. I was impressed, at least until told the camera was broken.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
system crashed when my wife was in line at the Cedula office....
they ran out plastic at the Migracion office once

zip, zero, zilch.... nada..... we left

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
normal. years ago, when i went to SD to do my first cedula they run out of plastic. i even made a thread about it, which i now looked up, out of curiosity. interesting read, in a way. contains a slogan we should all make our own: Dominican Republic, the country that will not adapt to you. also shows you how much this board changed. or maybe this country?
http://dr1.com/forums/living/58681-cedula-now-you-see-now-you-dont.html

in any case, take this as an opportunity to go places, from shopping in ikea to visiting tres ojos (stunning,eh?) especially if you are taking a car.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I say again:

Two books that will help prepare you for life in the DR are Lewis Carol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Two books that will help prepare you for life in the DR are Lewis Carol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There.

more like animal husbandry and how to deal with alcohol addiction.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ken
that's like the old joke about having your photo taken and cracking the camera lens....

can you post a photo of yourself to disprove this notion??
without cracking my computer screen ??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Try getting a Driver's License in Tennessee, USA-- the wait is hours and usually "the camera's broken". At least I didn't have to travel to Santo Domingo to get it...

The one thing that is similar to a DR government office is indeed a Department of Motor Vehicles in the US. I suspect they must all fail an intelligence test and also fail a psychiatric exam to be hired.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My expectations are so low now for the DR that when anything goes as planned I am stunned.

this is one of the keys to relative happiness here. i always expect the worst so when bad happens it actually kinda looks good. add to this ability to turn things that upset you into jokes and you're in the clear.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
DV*
Wow you really know how to save water -Share a shower!! Well you are right about the key to happiness here ! Expect the worst and enjoy it when it is better!

Just Olly

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
can you say holy cow? if that happened to me...not sure how long it would take me to get over the added expenses...extra time...rooms etc food ...wow...
every time i leave some govt office and mission accomplished i look up and thank the heavens...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I use the "One & Done" philosophy here in the DR!
If I can get "ONE THING" accomplished a day, I'm DONE !
May I suggest that the way to survive in the DR is to lower your expectations, "A La "dv8"!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
True, but in this case I would still have had one of those embarrassing gringo meltdowns.