New Laws .... update?

dolcevita

Sep 24, 2008
Any official or unoffical word on how long term visitors, vacationers, "snowbirds" are going to be affected by gov crack down on foreigners who overstay their tourist visas? What's the latest?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exit fees are still being taken when you exit the country if you stay beyond the original visa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So far, the law hasn't changed. According to some, it will be status quo for at least another year, until after this 'regularization plan' time-line expires.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
So far so good, I think any change will be taking quite sometime to implement and enforce.

I can just imagine all the visa runs to Haiti borders (like folks do to stay longer in South East Asian countries). Any budding entrepreneur should plan and set up the website and bus service already.... !? lol

miguel james

Nov 6, 2012
On my way out about 3 weeks ago I encounted something very strange...the agent at the window called another agent who told me it was 800 pesos and the strangest look came over their faces when I gave the money to the agent that was called over, the money went into his pocket. As I proceed upstairs that event played out over and over in my head. Never had that happen before because I always paid the agent that took my passport but something in their eyes did not sit well with me.

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
My compa over stayed his visa 10 years- Took a wheel chair and paid nothing.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Last time, april 2014 when I left from STI, a guy controls ure ticket at the entrance of "passenger only". U queue up for the immigration booths. No one at the "pay ure overstay booth", so just walked up to the regular ones.
The lady was conversing over the booths with another employee. She didnt look at me or acknowledge me..... just stamped the outgoing date stamped onto my passport and waved me through......
Went through security and then had second thoughts. Explained to a security agent, he just laughed and said " mejor para ti !!"
In the end I did go back and explained to the same woman that I had been in the dr 6 months, why didnt she apply the overstay tax.
She was confused and thanked me warmly......and I paid the thousand peso overstay.

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
On my way out about 3 weeks ago I encounted something very strange...the agent at the window called another agent who told me it was 800 pesos and the strangest look came over their faces when I gave the money to the agent that was called over, the money went into his pocket. As I proceed upstairs that event played out over and over in my head. Never had that happen before because I always paid the agent that took my passport but something in their eyes did not sit well with me.

I have left punta cana on two occasions when the girl at the desk didn't have proper change. They would look at you funny and give me my money back. Makes you wonder.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I left at POP April 2014 after a 3 month stay. I skipped the overstay line and went straight to get my passport stamped and pleaded ignorance and no hable espanol. I had a 10 dollar bill in my hand with my passport. The agent looked around, pocketed the money and said, have a nice flight.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I have a feeing it will be business as usual for sometime. What are they going to do? Tell long term tourist/snowbirds never come back to a country that relys on tourism.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
My compa over stayed his visa 10 years- Took a wheel chair and paid nothing.

I was thinking about giving you a dislike for a remark you made but I decided to look at your recent posts first and came across this.

This is pure genius and laugh out loud funny. :laugh: