Difference between saber and sepa

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Can someone explain the difference between saber and sepa?

Espero que tu sabes

Espero que tu sepas

Whats the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The subjunctive mood....

Can someone explain the difference between saber and sepa?

Espero que tu sabes

Espero que tu sepas

Whats the difference?

How well do you understand verb conjugation?

I think your question should be what is the difference between sabes and sepas. Both are conjugated verb forms of the verb saber- to know.

(t?) sabes- is the second person singular of the indicative mood

que (t?) sepas- is the second person singular of the subjunctive mood

This is a very important component of Spanish grammar. Correct usage of the subjunctive mood is paramount if you want have a good command of the grammar and speak well. Certain verbs, impersonal expressions, phrases etc require the subjunctive mood. Esperar is one of those verbs.

Espero que (t?) sepas- √
Espero que (t?) sabes- x – this form is incorrect and does not exist in Spanish. I have yet to hear a Spanish speaker anywhere say this.

Any of the verb forms of esperar (que) + verb (and a different subject) past or present requires the subjunctive mood in Spanish.

-MP.

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
In English, we do not really study grammar that carefully since we speak it and the use of the subjuntive tense can signify the difference between a formally educated person and one who is not.

The subjunctive tense is used in situations contrary to fact. The form of the subjunctive in English is often the same as the indicative so we use it without knowing that we are using it.

"I hope that you know" sounds the same, but try., "If I was you" vs. "If I were you" ? sound any different? The second uses the subjuctive tense.

The use of the subjunctive is the same in English, Spanish and French.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
In English, we do not really study grammar that carefully since we speak it and the use of the subjuntive tense can signify the difference between a formally educated person and one who is not.

The subjunctive tense is used in situations contrary to fact. The form of the subjunctive in English is often the same as the indicative so we use it without knowing that we are using it.

"I hope that you know" sounds the same, but try., "If I was you" vs. "If I were you" ? sound any different? The second uses the subjuctive tense.

The use of the subjunctive is the same in English, Spanish and French.

What you have said is correct and people really don’t study grammar that much in general anymore in any language. However, the subjunctive is almost obsolete in English. From day one, if a person learns to speak well, you will hear the usage of the subjunctive in their speech. However, many English speakers who speak well do so sans subjunctive and they are unilingual meaning from day one or along the way, the subjunctive in their speech (might have) dropped off.

In my opinion, some constructions in English should always have the subjunctive but the non subjunctive forms have been accepted and when the subjunctive is used, it’s called formal speech. Your example above is classic.

Remember the subjunctive is a mood not a tense.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Basically we are talking about an irregular verb here and one would think that it should be sabes, but it really is sepas?
Der Fish

.....and getting back to the topic at hand please.....

No, not at all to answer your question. This is about two verbs forms. One is in the indicative mood and the other is in the subjunctive mood and when correct grammar dictates the usage of one over the other.

Have you ever studied Spanish grammar? (I just need to confirm this based on most of your posts in this forum and the type of questions you seem to ask).

-MP.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
How well do you understand verb conjugation?

I think your question should be what is the difference between sabes and sepas. Both are conjugated verb forms of the verb saber- to know.

(t?) sabes- is the second person singular of the indicative mood

que (t?) sepas- is the second person singular of the subjunctive mood

This is a very important component of Spanish grammar. Correct usage of the subjunctive mood is paramount if you want have a good command of the grammar and speak well. Certain verbs, impersonal expressions, phrases etc require the subjunctive mood. Esperar is one of those verbs.

Espero que (t?) sepas- √
Espero que (t?) sabes- x ? this form is incorrect and does not exist in Spanish. I have yet to hear a Spanish speaker anywhere say this.

Any of the verb forms of esperar (que) + verb (and a different subject) past or present requires the subjunctive mood in Spanish.

-MP.

This doesn't seem right. I learned that if esperar means expect you use 'espero que sabes' and if it means hope you used 'espero que sepas'

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
This doesn't seem right. I learned that if esperar means expect you use 'espero que sabes' and if it means hope you used 'espero que sepas'

In the context of to hope, it's espero que sepas and that is what I am referring to in my response to the OP's post. If the OP means I hope that.... it can't be espero que sabes.

If the OP does respond s/he can clarify and reference other possible scenarios.

-MP.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
is there a difference, as Mauricio says..... between the sabes/sepas and the verbs intended meaning - expect/hope?

it seems like an interesting and important point - while we're back on topic :nervous:

sorry for the diversion.... my part in it, anyway

(BTW, in English - anyways, does not exist)- to my knowledge

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
is there a difference, as Mauricio says..... between the sabes/sepas and the verbs intended meaning - expect/hope?

it seems like an interesting and important point - while we're back on topic :nervous:

sorry for the diversion.... my part in it, anyway

(BTW, in English - anyways, does not exist)- to my knowledge

Well, Mauricio is doubting my response so maybe he should clarify what you are asking since he says mine does not seem right.

I just went back and read my posts for the anyway blunder. It's true anyways does not exist but it is very common when people speak. I try to look out for that when I am typing but it can be challenging to catch your own proofreading errors.

-MP.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

this is his question..

the 'anyways' wasn't directed at you or anybody else... just a passing comment
sorry if it appeared otherwise

proof reading my own ???
how many times in life have I tried to reach out and grab words in an effort to shove them back in my mouth???

lost count........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
on the contrary... I enjoy your responses and advice...

and look forward to more....

when I see your name posted , I usually follow up on you.

thanks for your insight

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Muchas gracias...

Thanks for that. This is not an easy forum.

I find these types of threads difficult mostly because the discussion is online and the knowledge level varies. Therefore, there can be a lot of responses and repetition of the same responses sometimes for many reasons.

It depends how a person interprets the response. My participation is selective now. Otherwise, I just moderate which is what I am supposed to do.

-MP.

Aug 6, 2006
Espero que t? sepas. ~ I hope you know, I expect that you know.

Espero que t? sabes is incorrect.

The subjunctive mood has been vanishing in English for several centuries.
If I were you uses the subjunctive for what is called a "contrary to fact" situation. I am not you.
If I WAS you used to sound illiterate, but is commonplace now.
Spanish uses the subjunctive mood far more than English.
Spanish grammar is nearly all inherited from Latin.
English grammar is a hodge podge of Celtic, Latin, Saxon and Norman French (ie French as spoken by the Norsemen that invaded Normandie in France).

Spanish used the subjunctive in this case. Si you fuera t?, no har?a est.
If I were you, I would not do that. No Spanish speaker I know of would likely say Si you soy t?.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Looked it up quickly and found this:

Esperar que followed by a verb: Esperar que is typically followed by a verb (although the verb may have a subject). If that verb is in the subjunctive mood, esperar can often be understood to mean "hope," while if that verb is in the indicative mood, it usually can be understood to mean "expect." (The distinction between the two isn't always precise, however, so you still need to pay attention to context.)

Note, for example, the difference in meaning between "Espero que va a ganar el torneo," which means "I expect he will win the tournament," and "Espero que ganes el torneo," "I hope you win the tournament. The use of the indicative mood (va a) in the first sentence suggests some degree of certainty, while the subjunctive mood of the second indicates desire. The use of the subjunctive following esperar que is far more common than not.

Some examples with possible translations:

Espero que no nieve. I hope it doesn't snow.
El presidente espera que no sea necesario incrementar la supervisi?n de los sistemas financieros. The president hopes it won't be necessary to increase oversight of the financial systems.
Espera que no es f?cil. He expects it isn't easy.
Estaba yo en casa y esperaba que lloviera. I was at home and I hoped it would rain.
Esperan que biocombustibles tengan ?xito en Am?rica Central. They are hoping that biofuels will be successful in Central America.
Advertisement

It should be noted that the use of the subjunctive after que is very common, and that it is not unusual for esperar que to mean "expect" if the context so demands. For example, take this sentence that appeared in Spanish news media: Los ciudadanos no esperan que ETA declare una tregua en los pr?ximos meses. The context of the story made clear that the sentence should be understood to mean "Citizens don't expect (not "hope") that the ETA will declare a truce in the coming months." And a sentence such as "?Porqu? no esperabas que te llamaran? can mean "Why didn't you hope they would call you?" or "Why didn't you expect they would call you?" depending on the context.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Thanks for that. This is not an easy forum.

I find these types of threads difficult mostly because the discussion is online and the knowledge level varies. Therefore, there can be a lot of responses and repetition of the same responses sometimes for many reasons.

It depends how a person interprets the response. My participation is selective now. Otherwise, I just moderate which is what I am supposed to do.

-MP.
I think this is the second time I see you are saying you will respond selectively when somebody second guesses your knowledge of Spanish grammar. Isn't the idea of this forum to learn from each other?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think this is the second time I see you are saying you will respond selectively when somebody second guesses your knowledge of Spanish grammar. Isn't the idea of this forum to learn from each other?

I clarified my interpretation of the OP's post and responded to you in post #13. I see other responses now as well. If you are still in doubt about the usage other posters can respond too.

Please carry on with the thread....

-MP.