Privatization Of Water Company?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It will be interesting to see how this eventually comes out.

Poor people, and probably others as well, don't pay their water bill so CORAAPLATA, the water company, does not have enough money to maintain the system. The government wants to privatize the water system, but those who can't or won't pay oppose this because it will reduce there already poor service (areas where people aren't paying get water fewer hours per day than areas where people do pay).

Of course, as was pointed out in a previous thread, in areas where service is poor people leave their faucet open so they will know when service returns. So if not home, water is likely to run full blast, wasting lots of water.

From today's Sosua News:

The government wants to privatize the water company CORAAPLATA. The company faces many difficulties, one of which is funding. Citizens and businesses have to pay their monthly bill for the use of tap water, but many citizens apparently don't want to or can not afford to pay the bill. This has brought the water company in financial trouble. But there are also complaints about the incompetent management and lack of maintenance of the installations and pipelines. The central government thinks privatization resolves the problems of unpaid bills and bad management.

However, opponents argue that poor people, and there are many, will be shut off because they can not afford the monthly expenses of water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And maybe they can privatize the EDE's while they are at it.

It is hard to remove free cheese when you have had it for so long.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i support this 100%. those who pay for the water pay for the subsidized clients as well. when we had water problems recently suddenly the people were scrapping up to pay folks selling water by gallon.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i support this 100%. those who pay for the water pay for the subsidized clients as well. when we had water problems recently suddenly the people were scrapping up to pay folks selling water by gallon.

This is a double edged sword so to speak. Privatizing has been looked at for years. The issue is that the government does NOT want to be responsible for paying water subsidies' for the poor, and wants business owners to pay a water tax to subsidize for the poor. Unfortunately, more than 1/3rd of the entire country would need to be subsidized, and the cost of water even with said tax to paying clients does not offset the losses because of the costs associated with treatment and distribution. Add to this the severity of the issues with the infrastructure and privatization does not even come close to "making cents".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is government controlled dysfunctional utilities (water and electricity) that call upon those that pay to subsidize freeloaders that does not make sense.

You could say it makes sense, but only to dysfunctional politicians.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
It is government controlled dysfunctional utilities (water and electricity) that call upon those that pay to subsidize freeloaders that does not make sense.

You could say it makes sense, but only to dysfunctional politicians.

Considering that all of the major resorts in the country have their own water treatment systems, as do most of the larger manufacturing companies here, what would be the largest paying water customers are not even in the game.. Even the golf courses would make for a nice customer, but they prefer "Grey Water" for irrigation. Privatization is a pipe dream as it stands now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Considering that all of the major resorts in the country have their own water treatment systems, as do most of the larger manufacturing companies here, what would be the largest paying water customers are not even in the game.. Even the golf courses would make for a nice customer, but they prefer "Grey Water" for irrigation. Privatization is a pipe dream as it stands now.

Then why is the government even talking about it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the idea behind it is to make poor people pay for services received. the government cannot force it, this is political death. but they can "outsource" the issue.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
It will be interesting to see how this eventually comes out.

Poor people, and probably others as well, don't pay their water bill so CORAAPLATA, the water company, does not have enough money to maintain the system. The government wants to privatize the water system, but those who can't or won't pay oppose this because it will reduce there already poor service (areas where people aren't paying get water fewer hours per day than areas where people do pay).

Of course, as was pointed out in a previous thread, in areas where service is poor people leave their faucet open so they will know when service returns. So if not home, water is likely to run full blast, wasting lots of water.

From today's Sosua News:

The government wants to privatize the water company CORAAPLATA. The company faces many difficulties, one of which is funding. Citizens and businesses have to pay their monthly bill for the use of tap water, but many citizens apparently don't want to or can not afford to pay the bill. This has brought the water company in financial trouble. But there are also complaints about the incompetent management and lack of maintenance of the installations and pipelines. The central government thinks privatization resolves the problems of unpaid bills and bad management.

However, opponents argue that poor people, and there are many, will be shut off because they can not afford the monthly expenses of water.

That areas where service is poor people leave their faucet open is false. Yes, it was mentioned
in another thread that one (ignorant) person left their faucet on does not mean everybody else does it.

I have been to countless barrios and have never seen anyone leave their faucets on waiting to see
when the water will return. There is a time when the water is turned off and comes back, so there is
no reason for it. They just collect water in tanques or plastic water containers, pots and pans until
water is back on.

This is the problem with most people. When one person does something, everybody else is guilty
of doing the same.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the pharmacy our water pump was not connected to the inversor. as a result no power = no water. none of our workers had a capacity to close the tap after opening it and seeing that no water comes out. as a result we had several disasters where water flooded the floor and destroyed some of the supplies. of course "no fui yo" was a mantra of everyone so we could not have slapped the guilty with the costs. i am convinced they behave the same way at home.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
if anything comes of this its time to buy an old truck with bald tires, no hood,no muffler, a smoky exaust and has a leaky tank and go into the water biz.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
My point is not to generalize. Treat everyone/everything as an individual. Whether a few may do it
does not mean the whole. I've seen or still see (when I visit the DR) the contrary.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
i think the idea behind it is to make poor people pay for services received. the government cannot force it, this is political death. but they can "outsource" the issue.

And this is exactly what they have been trying to do, but it doesn't add up to an investment group to make this move right now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And this is exactly what they have been trying to do, but it doesn't add up to an investment group to make this move right now.

I have never seen Coraaplata try to make those that steal water pay, except in a gringo development.
The EDE's tried to make people pay by cutting them off several years ago. The agency doing that lasted a week or two.
Having the government run the utilities here is a miserable failure.

If you mean that it would not be a good opportunity for a private business, that is an entirely different question and remains to be seen.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Since I have been here nothing has changed. I like that. It looks like nothing will change in the near future. I like that even more. This way I know what to expect.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since I have been here nothing has changed. I like that. It looks like nothing will change in the near future. I like that even more. This way I know what to expect.

That is good in your case. In my case what was once not an issue, the water, is now an issue. I can generate my own power when Edenorte screws up as they often do, but I cannot make my own water due to the incompetence of CORAAPLATA.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That is good in your case. In my case what was once not an issue, the water, is now an issue. I can generate my own power when Edenorte screws up as they often do, but I cannot make my own water due to the incompetence of CORAAPLATA.

if you live in an individual house i suggest digging a well. it ain't getting better, mai fren