Rent a motorcycle?

D

dcriverguy

I'm a rider in Washington, DC. Had 2 bikes stolen, but I admit I was being careless with locks. When I come to DR and rent a small 125cc bike, will I have a problem using the best locks (yes, 2 or 3) money can buy?

Are the cycle thieves there equipped or even inclined to take advantage? I'll be spending more time in the mountains and small towns than in the cities.

P

Pasola Joe

Chain your rented moto to your leg then spray the words "ANTHRAX" on the tank and this might just save you from having your moto gleeped.

Good Luck and keep riding

PJ

A

a_andy

No amount of locks on the motorcycle itself can save it. What you have to do is SLEEP WITH THE MOTORCYCLE. Dominicans do the same. Many small hotels (the only ones you'll be interested in) will let you keep your motorcycle indoors.

Actually, locks are probably ok during the day or even at night in well-lit, well-peopled areas. But you can rest assured that THIEVES LIE AWAKE NIGHTS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO STEAL MOTORCYCLES consistently parked in the same place. They're addicted to it and will stop at nothing, even at the expense of losing their reputations and jobs for it.

That said, since you'll be on the move and sleep with your motorcycle, you'll almost certainly be ok.

There might be good places to rent bikes for inland excursions - I simply dont know. It might be better though to buy a bike rather than try to rent, especially if you can manage the (fairly simple) paperwork. Don't forget the insurance of course, which is cheap.

Anyway IT'S WORTH IT. The bike itself will probably cost only about the same as your airline ticket, 11k - 15k pesos. When ready to leave, you can probably resell it quickly for only a 2 or 3 k loss.

In the campo, there are many farmer's daughters who will put the girls in Boca Chica and Sosua to shame. And you can practically invite yourself into their houses FOR COFFEE.

See there, who says I'm negative?

H

hillbilly

The 125 is one of the most ripped off bikes here.

These are the bikes used by the new motoconchos, driving the owners of the Honda 50s and 70s out of business..

there is a huge demand for the yamahas or anything that looks like a dirt bike, Honda, Suzuki...
And new these things cos around RD60,000. A guy I know got a nice used one for $20,000/. BEST ADVICE: Rent and visit a hardware store and get a big chain and lock, use them even tho they are a major pain. If possible, do sleep with the bike inside.

Drive safely, use a helmet, have insurance, don't flash money..basic survival techniques. The interior of the country is really beautiful and the people are wonderful. Hope you like coffee.

Hb

A

a_andy

Re: The 125 is one of the most ripped off bikes he

As Hillbilly says, the large frame dirt bikes are more expensive, but 20k pesos should be more than enough for a good used one. And yes, they are 125 cc.

Since you're experienced, you may prefer the dirt bikes with their softer suspension, but most people prefer the small frame bikes like the conchos use.

For a small frame bike, anywhere from 100 cc to 125 cc uses the same sized frame. Of course those with bigger motors cost more.

SLEEP ONLY IN PLACES WHERE YOU CAN KEEP THE BIKE INDOORS, no excuses. Of course if you're sleeping in a farmhouse, they'll watch it for you.

Don't forget, after accepting the hospitality coffee, find an excuse to give the family 100 pesos or so if you want to be welcome later. If there are kids about, it can be "para escuela" (for school). Otherwise, simply give it to the cook "para compre otra cafe" (to buy other coffee) even if (probably) it came off her own tree.

D

Doug

Re: The 125 is one of the most ripped off bikes he

dcriverguy; I've rented these 125's quite abit, and I've never had a problem, but like previous posters have said; KEEP IT LOCK AT ALL TIMES WHEN NOT RIDING IT!. As for the person that made the suggestion of buying it then selling it later.....in my opinion the paperwork is not worth it! PERIOD. First you would have to find someone that wants one that day, then you have to be sure they are going to have all the money....and these guys are not stupid...they know your plane is leaving and you have to be on it....no matter what! Plus the time to get all the proper documents in order.....foreget it! The bikes will go for about 400 pesos per day, and if you are going to take it for 5 or so days, then you can cut a deal....probably around 300 per day...so that'll work out to about 1500 pesos...so about 160 bucks....so don't waste your time. Another thing is sometimes it's better just to get the bike first thing in the morning......do your day....then take it back at night....unless you are going to make your trip exclusively a bike riding trip.Always go over your bike and point out any marks,scratches, broken cables,broken speedos, and so on.....just so you and the renter are on the same page. Most places will give you a lock, so as it can be locked up. I always lock the steering and put the lock on the sprocket and chain it to a pole,tree, or something that can't be taken with the bike....although this will only slow down a thief, not stop him. Make sure you check the tires, cause it will rain most days...if only for a few minutes...and the roads become quite oily for the first few minutes of the rain and you need good rubber. If you are an experienced rider check the things you normally would and you'll be ok. Only buy your fuel at gas stations and not from ppl selling it in beer bottles and such. E-mail me if you have any questions.

This is only from my experience....therefore it may not be the way it really is or isn't

Take Care....Be careful....and have fun....and PLEASE let us know about that coffee!!!

L

Loren

Exchange rate correction...

RD$1500 pesos is less than $100 bucks U.S.