Lots to see and do in Santo Domingo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
People criticise Santo Domingo for the traffic, fast living, no beach... but I love the city for its active cultural and entertainment program.

Check out http://www.dr1.com/calendar for a sampling of events that are going on…

There is the Dominican Republic Environmental Film Festival, there are plays at the National Theater (Sala Raelo), Teatro Guloya, Teatro Las Mascaras. There is Pengbian Sang and his retro jazz at Palacio de Bellas Artes, There is a tribute to the music of Serrat, Sabina and Fito Paez at Casa de Teatro, a beauty products fair at Sambil mall.

Nationwide there are exhibits of the Funglode Film festival at theaters nationwide, PhotoImagen is at the Centro Leon, Casa de Campo is hosting the Golf Open.

Lots to see and do, see http://www.dr1.com/calendar for details on these and other events.

Last edited:
May 12, 2005
One thing you can say about Santo Domingo. There's always a lot of things going on.

For car nuts, there's a car show every saturday night at Galerias 360. Lots of nice cars, both muscle and classic.
They frequently have music too.

But but according to some the whole country is a crime ridden hell. How can there be so much to do if everyone is afraid to leave their homes?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
But but according to some the whole country is a crime ridden hell. How can there be so much to do if everyone is afraid to leave their homes?

Combine Dominican exxageration with newspapers already being tabloidlike here and you create an image of the country that makes it seem like everyone is cowering away in their home.. My family and I on the other hand go out 1-2x a week at night and don't come home until late and have never had an issue.. Going to celebrate 5 years here now but I am half-dominican and married to a dominican.. so we live a pretty dominican life.. don't pay too much attention to the latest murders in la mulata or cienfuegos.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Jardin Botanico" gets my vote for the best place to visit in SD!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will think you have left the DR for some "Green Paradise"!
No Noise, No Garbage, just beauty, peace. and quiet!!!
As the tram takes you down into the valley of "VERDE", the temperature drops about 10 degrees!
There is a guide on board to describe the "Flora" as you ride.
There is a stop at the "Japanese Garden" section that is from another world.
A "MUST SEE" and take the kids too!
Cost for entrance & Tram is less than 100 pesos.

What's WRONG with ME TODAY????????

Aug 6, 2006
Swedish horse.

there was a bit of a scandal in the US that IKEAs kjodboller were processed in a facility that also prepares horsemeat, and a few samples contained bits of My Little Pony. IKEA apologized and promised to change their supplier. The nationality of the horses used was not revealed.

Actually, horsemeat is not bad. I think it is the idea of eating Silver or Trigger or My Friend Flicka that turns Americans off. You can make really good chili with horsemeat.