Who will be the next President?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From DR1 Daily News 12 September 2014:

To the Gallup-Hoy question to those polled of who will win the May 2016 presidential elections, voters responded:

Danilo Medina (41.3%)
Leonel Fernandez (25.8%)
Luis Abinader (5.5%)
Miguel Vargas Maldonado (2.9%
Hipolito Mejia (2.3%).
Margarita Cedeno (1.8%

To the Gallup-Hoy question to those polled of who would they like to be the next President, the responses were:

Danilo Medina (54.2%)
Leonel Fernandez (10.3%)
Luis Abinader (8.7%
Hipolito Mejia (5.2%)
Miguel Vargas (4.3%)
Margarita Cedeno (3.6%
Guillermo Moreno (1.8%)

The poll also revealed that the politicians with the highest rejection rate are Hipolito Mejia (37.2%), Miguel Vargas (22.3%) and Leonel Fernandez (22.2%). Luis Abinader (0.7%) and Danilo Medina (0.5%) have the lowest rejection rates.

For the poll, 1,200 eligible voters were interviewed between 29 August and 2 September 2014. The margin of error is 2.8%.

In 2004, then-President Hipolito Mejia changed the Constitution to allow one-time consecutive re-election, US-style. In 2008, PRD president Miguel Vargas accepted a change to the Constitution to allow non-consecutive re-election in the 2010 Constitution. Thus, the tradition has been to change the constitution according to the convenience of the serving President. This could explain why Gallup is including Danilo Medina in the poll list.

--

People seem to take for granted Danilo Medina will run for President in 2014, according to this poll.

As things stand at the moment, Medina can't run for President, Leonel Fernandez can, despite his low popularity.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I read today that some clairvoyant who supposedly predicted 9/11 and the Haitian earthquake.... says that Danilo will be president for 4 more years. :)

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I read today that some clairvoyant who supposedly predicted 9/11 and the Haitian earthquake.... says that Danilo will be president for 4 more years. :)

Presumably the clairvoyant also predicts a change to the constitution to allow this. I hope it's true!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I love when a country needs to change it's constitution just because they cannot find someone else to run.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Leonel Fernandez says he will return

Speaking in San Francisco de Macoris on Sunday, 14 September 2014, former President Leonel Fernandez reiterated that the winds were blowing so strongly in the northeast as well as the rest of the country that they would return him to power in 2016. He was taking part in an event organized by the Acciona and Sociedad Rural de Leonel (Sorudel) political movements, which are campaigning for his return to the Presidency.

Event organizer Andres Acosta asked the former President to go on the record in San Francisco announcing his aspirations to the PLD candidacy. Fernandez stated that the PLD would remain in power due to its high level of public acceptance that has given rise to so many repeated wins and places the party in an advantageous position for the future election.

“With the always enthusiastic support of the inhabitants of Duarte province, I can proclaim here that the winds are blowing so strongly that they will take me to climb the steps to the National Palace again in 2016,” he stated. He stressed the PLD governments have contributed to the social transformation and modernization of the Dominican nation.

He said the PLD has won the respect and admiration of the Dominican people due to the way it has governed. “We won in 1996, we were back in 2006 and 2006, again in 2008 and 2012 and we are ready, because the sixth beating is coming in 2016,” he said.

Fernandez is president of the PLD and one of the stronger contenders to be voted the presidential candidate in 2016.

The latest Gallup-Hoy poll held in September revealed that when asked who should be the candidate for the ruling PLD party in the upcoming May 2016 presidential election, voters were divided between Danilo Medina being the candidate (48.5%), followed by Leonel Fernandez (16.8%), Vice President Margarita Cedeno (5.3%), senator Reinaldo Pared Perez (4.7%), and Tourism Minister Francisco Javier Garcia (4.6%). 14.1% said they did not know. The 2010 Constitution bans Medina from running for President.

A more recent Penn, Schoen & Berland poll contracted by Grupo de Noticias SIN revealed that Fernandez is the politician most likely to be named the PLD presidential candidate in the 2016 presidential election.

Fernandez was President from 1996-2000, 2004-2008, and 2008-2012.

From DR1 Daily News, 15 September 2014.
See archived news at:
DR1 - January to December 2014 News Archive

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
leonel en primera vuelta, of course. lots of votes will be cast on him. including some people who are dead. or don't exist.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Leonel in 2016 - Medina back in 2020 - Leonel 2024 - Medina 2028...and so on...

Medina won't be able to change the constitution, because half or more of PLD congressmen are Leonel loyalists. A bunch of others belong to PRD so they won't vote in his favor either as they know the only chance they may have is for Leonel to run again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
PRD already picked up crybaby sore loser miguel as their candidate. how many times did he lose so far?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The ONLY reason I want to become a Dominican Citizen, is so I can sell my ?Cedula"for 500 pesos on election day!
Leonel RUNS & Wins!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i thought fernandez was finished.with running for office as president because of term limits......or it is that only two consec. terms?

O

orsted

They need to put back only two terms and no more, this man needs to be stopped for good.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The one thing I give Fernandez credit for is that he never tried to change constitution to stay in power...and he could have. He came back as a result of a greedy Hipolito changing it so that HE could run again, which was a gross miscalculation that came back to bite them in the @ss big time. If they had left it as it was back then (A person could only serve one time) we would have had a whole lot of other people be president by now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think the USA has a healthy law. You can run for 2 terms, and that's it. I think 2 terms should be a given, because sometimes it takes more than 4 years to accomplish goals.

Leonel has had 3 terms already - enough!! Let someone else have a chance. We're not PLD people, but we think that Danilo is doing a pretty darned good job. I'd like to see him have another 4 years.