Can Puerto Rico help DR reduce drug-related crime?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What lessons has Puerto Rico learned about fighting drug trafficking? Didn't New York City do a better job regarding reducing drug-related crimes in the city?

From DR1 Daily News 12 September 2014:

DR and Puerto Rico declare joint war on drugs

Puerto Rico Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla is visiting the country on an official visit Thursday, 11 September to Friday 12 September 2014. Speaking at the Presidential Palace after a meeting with President Medina, he announced that a bilateral commission is drawing up a plan encompassing Puerto Rico's experiences on crime, which will be ready in 60 days. The commission will be chaired by Secretary of State David Bernier and Police Superintendent Jose Caldera Lopez for Puerto Rico, and by Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo for the Dominican Republic.

As reported, a recent anti-crime plan in Puerto Rico has been successful in reducing crime by 30% in the past 20 months. Police were better equipped, motivated and recognized for their work in Puerto Rico.

Garcia Padilla announced they would be stepping up joint measures to fight drug trafficking and fight the cartels that use the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico as bridges to reach the US and Europe.

"We have to put obstacles in the road so that they find another route. The drugs that enter our countries are causing most of the crime that we suffer," he said.

A recent Gallup Poll found that crime and safety were the main concern of Dominicans.

Garcia Padilla gave a press conference after meeting with President Danilo Medina for more than an hour at the Presidential Palace.

They also discussed the need to increase trade between both countries. Garcia Padilla said there had been a US$500 million increase in trade in the past 20 months. He said that trade was at US$700 million when he took office as governor of Puerto Rico. He says he wants it to return to when it was US$2 billion in the 1980s.

Also on the agenda was to resume the scholarship program. The governor said this would benefit students from both nations with undergraduate and graduate programs. He highlighted that schools and hospitals do not discriminate against illegal immigrants, adding that all immigrants, regardless of status were now allowed to get their driver's licenses.

He said he told President Medina about the policies in force in Puerto Rico to benefit Dominican immigrants there.

Garcia Padilla said his official visit ends today, but he had come with his family and they would vacation here until Sunday, 14 September.

During the meeting with President Medina, Garcia Padilla was accompanied by the US Ambassador James (Wally) Brewster, Puerto Rican deputy secretary of state Javier Gonzalez and Puerto Rican Police Superintendent Jose Caldero Lopez.

Medina was accompanied by Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo, Deputy Minister of Foreign Relations Jose Manuel Trullols and Dominican ambassador at the Puerto Rico-Dominican Mixed Commission, Virgilio Alvarez Bonilla.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
October 8, 2010 FBI arrested and indicted 133 people in Puerto Rico including 89 police officers charged with protecting the drug dealers and their shipments. This was a 2 year investigation that totaled 125 drug deals.

So the question really is how much better is PR, and can honestly be of any real assistance or are they just going to share information so that they don't get caught next time?

May 12, 2005
Crime in PR is way worse than in DR. San Juan is a very dangerous city much more so than Santo Domingo. Not sure I would be taking any pointers from the folks across the Mona Passage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They can throw all the money they want at the war on drugs and it will continue to fail.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
There are alot of federales in Puerto Rico these days. I definitely do not think San Juan is less safe than SD. Not a friggin iota.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Cops love the war on drugs. It pays the mortgage. Its the taxpayers that get effed. The irony of legalization is that it shows that laws generally dont deter someone who doesnt give a shyte. Making something illegal just makes bad guys rich makes lawyers rich also but I consider most of them bad guys anyway.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I'm an American, USAF Vet, trained at Pt. Hueneme with SeaBees.
Why do we and the euros continue giving money to these 3rd world corrupt countries and they never progress.
People speak of the Developing World!!!!! What has developed??
I say, allow the Corp. of Engineers, Seabees , Red Horse and Prime Beef units into the DR. In three years, there will be more potable water and electricity than the country needs.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha ha ha...i have family in a small town/city in northeast,u.s. years ago they put a $reward out for info leading to an arrest... 3 months rent...serious money...in 6 months you couldnt buy a bag of weed.. if their was any ladies who kinda did a man a favor for money gone....family turning in neighbors,,, this works...$ for serious info...and it was unknown informants.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ha ha ha...i have family in a small town/city in northeast,u.s. years ago they put a $reward out for info leading to an arrest... 3 months rent...serious money...in 6 months you couldnt buy a bag of weed.. if their was any ladies who kinda did a man a favor for money gone....family turning in neighbors,,, this works...$ for serious info...and it was unknown informants.....

Study what happened during prohibition in the US and tell me how that worked out.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
They can throw all the money they want at the war on drugs and it will continue to fail.

Crime in PR is way worse than in DR. San Juan is a very dangerous city much more so than Santo Domingo. Not sure I would be taking any pointers from the folks across the Mona Passage.

Both are correct.

As long as there is no agreement within society about the rules and prohibition (given the massive consumption there seems to be no real agreement) then it is pointless to try and enforce them.

Like Windy pointed out; look at the effects of the prohibition area... personally I think that the ban/war on drugs is similar, with the similar effect of mafia-styled gangster culture being worshipped. Look at 'urban culture' then and now.

So maybe drugs should be discouraged but citizens should be free to use them and accept the consequences. Banning doesn't seem to work.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Better to have a war on the causes of drug use. Of course much is experimental use and because it's cool/peer pressure....etc but low self worth is a big part of it. High employment, better school systems, consistent application of the laws, pick on the sellers not the users...etc. We never get rid of drugs as long as people want to escape from their reality.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Legalize drugs in the US and UK, and the markets for the drugs go away. People want to sit around using drugs all day every day and destroy their lives, let them. I'm tired of hearing about "the war on drugs" . It has been a complete failure and cost way to many lives IMHO.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Legalize drugs in the US and UK, and the markets for the drugs go away. People want to sit around using drugs all day every day and destroy their lives, let them. I'm tired of hearing about "the war on drugs" . It has been a complete failure and cost way to many lives IMHO.

I hear you but even legalized there are huge costs to society: Drug addiction treatment, drug addicted babies, high crime rate, , family breakup, mental illness caused by or accelerated, lost time from work, more accidents....etc.